• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Billy Best

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Just to let you know if you do not go on Facebook/Twitter that today it is very hard to believe that Billy Best is 75 years young.(YES!!Seventy-Five). Boy, that does make me feel old. It really does seem incredible to think that it is 50 years ago this season that we would embark on that 1968-69 season scoring goals for fun 106 in total with Billy Best 31, Gary Moore 21, Ian"Chico"Hamilton 12, Eddie Clayton 11 & Phil Chisnall 8. as the main goalscorers. Sadly no end of season promotion for us(it would take another three seasons)but it was most certainly a season to remember. "Happy Birthday Billy" you were "Simply the Best".

Finding the net's an instinctive ability that can't be taught. Never saw Hollis, but his record speaks for itself, as does Billy Best's. Similarly with Crown, Collymore, Angell and Eastwood. They all had it in abundance. Maybe McCoulsky, if he ever gets the chance to prove it, might be the same. How much more evidence does Powell need that Cox certainly lacks the predatory instincts to anticipate chances, as we saw Saturday when he stood and watched as the keeper came out to claim, apart from his continual scuffing of shots and skying over the bar.

No one else has come near his goalscoring ability IMHO, a true genius. Happy birthday my hero.

Following Southend for over 55 years I have seen Collymore , Crown , Caddete , Phillips , Angell Benjamin and Sylvester , none of them have come close to the King of Roots Hall King Billy Best .

This probably isn't the thread to point out that as good as Billy Best was, Stanley was definitely better...

Anyway, I hope Billy Best returns to Roots Hall again this season so the fans can show their appreciation of a Southend legend once more.

Back