• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Billy Best

All the above messages were cut and pasted into a card that became a sixteen page document of over 100+ messages with various FB groups of both SUFC and NTFC contributing too. Thank you to all who took the time and trouble to write a message.

It has been sent to King Billy today (couldn't get it done and with him before his birthday unfortunately due to time restraint on having to cut and paste the text & getting the document bound) by special delivery. Will post a few pics of the finished article once he receives it, a couple below now however for all to see.
A Fine Tribute To A Great Man .

Hi Dave, just wanted to say a big "Thank You" to you for all the time, trouble and effort that you put into this over the last week or so, it really was a tear in the eye moment for me to read all those wonderful tributes to Billy over the last few days and to realise just how much he meant to so many people from all those years ago. #Thank You- Big Bad Barry.
I enjoyed doing it Dave. Think it made a lot of people happy to be able to send King Billy a personal message and hopefully he will be pleased to receive it too 👑🌞🙏

I received a message from King Billy's daughter Lindsey yesterday to say how pleased and moved he was to have received everyone's birthday greetings last week. Apparently "he couldn't believe so many people would take the time to send him messages after all this time" and it was quite emotional for him to see how much love there still is for him both here and at NTFC.

About ten minutes ago, this e mail arrived from the great man himself -

"Hi Dave. Thank you very much for the birthday wishes. The birthday wishes you put together from friends and supporters is very touching and something I will treasure always. Words dont seem enough but I was sincere with my thanks. Take care and please keep in touch...................Billy".

Thank you again for all who took the time and trouble to post. 👑 #Always The King

Does anyone have any video footage of him playing?
Sadly not playing for us although the DVD "The Team we call United" does have quite a few clips of Billy in it. This is available from the Shrimpers Trust for just £2.00. and is possibly the best (pardon the pun) item to buy as the years on it featured are 1967-69. However You Tube has a Cobbler's match from 1975-76? when they beat Bournemouth 6-0 at the Country Ground with Billy doing what he always did for us by scoring a couple of goals.⚽💙⚽

Past his best, put on a few pounds, playing as a defender/midfielder. But couldn't stop himself joining the attack with his hunger for goals. The second one is a typical Billy Best. He was great at diving headers, and headed with power. For those that never saw him play, I would say he was the most accurate striker Southend ever had, and he was a nightmare for defenders, as he was so quick around the penalty area, and would find space, and seemed to be in the right place a lot.

Sadly not playing for us although the DVD "The Team we call United" does have quite a few clips of Billy in it. This is available from the Shrimpers Trust for just £2.00. and is possibly the best (pardon the pun) item to buy as the years on it featured are 1967-69. However You Tube has a Cobbler's match from 1975-76? when they beat Bournemouth 6-0 at the Country Ground with Billy doing what he always did for us by scoring a couple of goals.⚽💙⚽
I'd not seen this before, only the Southend DVD. What a wonderful reminder of the freedom and creativity Billy had. If there was a chance of goal he'd take it. I'd rather forgotten how good he was with his head. Thanks for pointing me to this wonderful footage.

Back