• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Billy Best

We were lucky that Billy was with us at the right time. Players had no agents in their ear. Money wasn't so important, and loyalty was. If a player was happy at a club, he would stay for years. He was too good for Southend, but thankfully not many clubs came knocking. They tended to wait for a club to announce a good player was available for sale. Nowadays with that goal scoring record of 1 in 2 games, bigger clubs would have been queuing up, and he would be offered silly money. We would have had him for 2 seasons maximum nowadays.

Older fans might like to know (or may be aware) that the great Billy Best will be celebrating his 80th birthday on the 7th September.

Still beloved and celebrated by so many “of a certain age” over fifty years since he played his last game for Southend as (probably) the greatest player to wear the beautiful blue shirt, I along with Mr Brabbing - the greatest of all “Billy aficionados” were talking about this & thought it might be nice for anyone who would like to send “The King of Roots Hall” birthday greetings via Shrimperzone, which I can then cut and paste and pass on.

I have kept in contact with Billy since writing a piece on him in the programme a couple of years ago and he still follows the Blues avidly (I send him a programme after every match) and I know that greetings from his fans for such a special birthday would mean the world to him.

Thank you. #BillyIsBest #TheKingOfRootsHall 🏐⭐🌞👑

Last edited:
Happy birthday Billy and thank you for providing so many unforgettable moments which I still remember with fondness all these years later. So many highlights to look back on, not just the goals but the way you conducted yourself on and off the pitch.
Happy birthday king Billy. In my mind still the greatest player to wear the blue shirt

Back