• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

billy bests wages !!

graysblue

Banned
back in 68/69 my dear old pa said to me "besty is worth his fourty quid per week,no idea if the old man was accurate but £40 per week for the blues top player sounds about right.

the interesting part being ,allowing for inflation if BB played today he would be on approx £1300 per week,as you know we have lads who are more than likely trebling that wage who in fairness are not good enough to tie BBs laces.

back then the admission(correct if i am wrong) was 75p adults and kids less than 20p? if these prices were correct todays entry fees would be approx £12 adults and £4 kids.

football inflation has no reality with actual yearly inflation which in my book ensures fans pay through the nose to watch their fav team,which in my view cannot be sustained forever.

But there was no commercial outlet in those days, no multimedia sponsorship, no multi-stream revenues. It was a local team playing for the local community. Now it's everyone chasing the money. It can be sustained as long as the sponsorship opportunities exist.

allowing for inflation if BB played today he would be on approx £1300 per week,as you know we have lads who are more than likely trebling that wage who in fairness are not good enough to tie BBs laces.
Personally, I'd be very surprised if there is anyone in the SUFC squad earning £4,000 a week. I'd guess the average wage is actually closer to around £1,500 a week.

Personally, I'd be very surprised if there is anyone in the SUFC squad earning £4,000 a week. I'd guess the average wage is actually closer to around £1,500 a week.

sure i read somewhere the annual wage bill was approx 3 million?

indeed the other day someone posted regarding jereom boares reputed £3500 per week wage and he played years ago.

phil whelan was earning a reported 2k per week again he played many moons ago

cannot see the likes of barrett,clarke,mildy,and freedman earning 1500 smackers per week?

sure i read somewhere the annual wage bill was approx 3 million?

indeed the other day someone posted regarding jereom boares reputed £3500 per week wage and he played years ago.

phil whelan was earning a reported 2k per week again he played many moons ago

cannot see the likes of barrett,clarke,mildy,and freedman earning 1500 smackers per week?
Boere was when we were playing in the Championship and it was those types of wages that very nearly sent us bankrupt!

I'd guess the players you mentioned above are on a little more than £1,500, but I said average - they would clearly be the higher earners of the squad. I'd still reckon the likes of those would be on just over £2,000 a week.

No idea about the post the other day about £3mill wage bill, but possibly that included all staff at SUFC, not just players?! Just spectulating as didn't see that post.

If that £3m figure is correct and if it's split out amongst first team pros only and we base the squad size on the current squad size then £3m becomes an average of £2131 p/w

I would be very surprised if it's as high as this and would expect some of the 'ifs' aren't actual ifs.

Again, if the £3m figure is accurate it is reasonably amusing to think that West Ham were paying Freddie Ljungberg more in a week than either our entire first team squad or our entire staff.

Not only more, about twice as much reputedly, and I imagine we'd have given them quite a good game in that time.

If anyone needed any reminding of the difference in finance between the Premiership and the (rest of the) football league then this is a pretty good indicator.

The latest accounts to 31/7/07 (the Championship season) had the limited Companies wage bill (62 Playing Coaching Training, 28 Establishment and Ground maintenance , 7 Directors - Total 97) being 3,559,377

uncle ron stated the other week the club need 8500 to break even !!

lets assume the breakdown is as follows

4000 adults paying £20 each=80k
4000 concessions paying £12 each =48k
500 kids paying £5 each=2k

total gate reciepts 130k approx

add

5000 progs at £3 each = 15k
add booze/food sales possibly another 50k

matchday revenue approx 200k ish x 23 home games = 4.6 million gross add other revenue streams ie clothing sales,sponsors,advertising ect ect and the club must be grossing around 6 million per year?

now we all know the club actually earns zero per season, indeed as far as i know it loses money.

maybe the 3 million on players wages was understated,because the 6 million gross is spent on all staffs wages and any rent/bills and possibly transfer funds.

add

matchday revenue approx 200k ish x 23 home games = 4.6 million gross add other revenue streams ie clothing sales,sponsors,advertising ect ect and the club must be grossing around 6 million per year?

now we all know the club actually earns zero per season, indeed as far as i know it loses money.

maybe the 3 million on players wages was understated,because the 6 million gross is spent on all staffs wages and any rent/bills and possibly transfer funds.
My god - I bet Ron wishes it was that easy!!

5,000 programmes?! Nowhere near and I'm certain of that one!! And even so - how exactly do you work out we make £3 a programme?! Do we not pay staff for this? Do we not even pay for printing costs?!

Have no idea of the food/booze sales, but again I would be absolutely stunned if we made £50k a game.

Think you should have a little look at the accounts to get some idea of the costs involved of running a football club as it isn't just paying wages!

add

I think there are too many big assumptions in here to be making any sort of firm judgement.

I would have thought that Freedman was probably earning the most and I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the region of £3k - £4k per week despite the impact upon the overall wage structure. Well worth it surely. And that's not meant as a slur on the other palying staff.

Incidentally, why do players wages still get quoted on a weekly basis? Can't imagine that Ron turns up at Training every Friday with the wages envelopes in his briefcase.

Just to add some sort of actual evidence based figures (from 2 years ago):

Source

Have to admit that this is higher than I expected.

AVERAGE WAGE WAGE PW

Premiership £676,000 £12,965.09

Championship £195,750 £3,754.32

League One £67,850 £1,301.30

League Two £49,600 £951.29

My god - I bet Ron wishes it was that easy!!

5,000 programmes?! Nowhere near and I'm certain of that one!! And even so - how exactly do you work out we make £3 a programme?! Do we not pay staff for this? Do we not even pay for printing costs?!

Have no idea of the food/booze sales, but again I would be absolutely stunned if we made £50k a game.

Think you should have a little look at the accounts to get some idea of the costs involved of running a football club as it isn't just paying wages!

ok deduct the entire costs of progs per season from my estimate = 345k

the bar/food sales must be somewhere in the region i stated,remember there is the restaurant ,several bars and several food outlets and not forgetting the boxes.

not an exact science i know ,however the gross income must still be around the 5 million plus area.

the bar/food sales must be somewhere in the region i stated,remember there is the restaurant ,several bars and several food outlets and not forgetting the boxes.

not an exact science i know ,however the gross income must still be around the 5 million plus area.

You also need to knock off 17.5% VAT which amounts to about £750k on your £5m figure.

But not all gross income is spent on salaries you need to deduct cost of goods sold (buying beer, printing programmes, tickets, buying in shirts other shop merchandise etc) and other admin expenses (police, insurance, transport etc). These will also be substantial.

Last edited:
year to 31/7/07

Gate Receipts 2,041,824
Season tickets 1,171,936
League pools TV 1,314,960
Centre of excellence 181,397

Total for football activities 4,710,117

Sports and promos 1,408,267
Souvenir shop 156,512
bars and catering 494,573
Others 102,520

Overall total 6,871,989

of that we made a profit of 203,864

that season we played 26 games (in all competition) average attendance of
9706 a Total of 252,356

the average income per ticket was 12.73
Refreshments per person was 1.96
Average wage per all club employees 36.7K (all 97 of them)

If Ron is saying a gate of 8500 to break even , that would be a reduction of 12.5% from 2007 now the ticket price will have gone up by about that so we can estimate that our income will be very similar except for the league pools/tv fees.
The total income will be down 19%
Therefore to make a similar profit the wages will have to come down by the same amount
Wages in 2007 were 3.6M so it would be a guess of around 2.9 M for all staff , (assuming the non football staff are still at 28 and average 15k PA ) that means the playing / coaching staff wage bill comes in at about 2.5M (If there are still 62 of them that comes in at 40K PA (775 PW) average

firestorm,

excellent post.

are we in agreement there are possibly several players earning in excess of what billy best may of earned? and probably several at least doubling BBs money with possibly 1 player earning triple?

the whole point of this thread was to prove football inflation has its own destiny and nothing to do with real life inflation.

another best,the late great george best became te 1st footballer in this country to earn £1000 per week which i do believe was in 1970,allowing for inflation besty would if he played today in his prime would earn around 17k per week,however as we all know if indeed GB played today he would easily command 150k if not more per week.

I would have thought that Freedman was probably earning the most and I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the region of £3k - £4k per week despite the impact upon the overall wage structure. Well worth it surely. And that's not meant as a slur on the other palying staff.

Incidentally, why do players wages still get quoted on a weekly basis? Can't imagine that Ron turns up at Training every Friday with the wages envelopes in his briefcase.
Whether it's true or not. Freedman himself has stated that his negotiations were merely based on "pay me what the other players are being paid". This indicates to me that he isn't being paid obscenely higher than anyone else in the squad.

Back