• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Billy Bragg - An Essex Treasure!

Billy Bragg and Bob Dylan are definately in the same category......its called rubbish..
Now i expect the tirade of abuse from knowledgable music fans who appreciate two men who cant sing a descent note between them.

Billy Bragg and Bob Dylan are definately in the same category......its called rubbish..
Now i expect the tirade of abuse from knowledgable music fans who appreciate two men who cant sing a descent note between them.

It's not about the quality of the singing, it's about the heart breaking, jaw dropping, soul enriching lyrics. Utter poetry from both...

Ronan Keating sings in a lovely voice...however his music has absolutely no soul.

Last edited:
It's not about the quality of the singing, it's about the heart breaking, jaw dropping, soul enriching lyrics. Utter poetry from both...

Ronan Keating sings in a lovely voice...however his music has absolutely no soul.

Have to agree. How anyone can say Dylan is rubbish is beyond me.

As songwriters go he is up there with the very best.

Just to name a few - All along the watchtower, Knocking on heaven's door, Like a rolling stone, Just like a woman, Mr Tambourine man... i could go on but it would be a very very long post.

Have to agree. How anyone can say Dylan is rubbish is beyond me.

As songwriters go he is up there with the very best.

Just to name a few - All along the watchtower, Knocking on heaven's door, Like a rolling stone, Just like a woman, Mr Tambourine man... i could go on but it would be a very very long post.
Shelter From The Storm is my favourite.

Personal favourites of mine are Jokerman and Everything is Broken ...... Being sort of in the music biz (cue cheap plug for the dave charles show every sunday 8pm globally available at www.harboroughfm.co.uk )you need to keep an open opinion on all genres of music... To say someones work is rubbish without offering an as to why ! IMO is a cheap throw away ..... Some could argue that Ronan is Souless but yet many people have bought into him..... personally not my favourite but you cant fault the production or quality of his work, with a great rendition of when you say nothing at all ....

Tangled up in Blue and Hurricane are my fave Dylan tracks.... Levi Stubbs Tears/Sexuality/St Swithins Day are my fave Billy Bragg tracks....

I'm not going to give you a tirade of abuse, just a sad shake of the head

*shakes his head sadly*

Dylan is a true legend, most definately the most influencial muscian and singer-songwriter alive! I have so many favourites at so many diffferent times. Although it is cliched, Like a ROlling Stone is just phenominal! Mama you been on my mind is always a fav too. Don't think Twice is the ultimate breakup song... I could go on forever!

On to Bragg... he is another hero of mine. Had a fantastic afternoon when I got to meet him in Fives in Leigh with his mate Porky the Poet (Phil Jupitus). Have seen him live lots of times and the standing cheer and celebration when Pinochet died during his gig in Hackney Empire will stay with me forever. His latest offering of CD sounds very good, check out some vids on here http://www.mrloveandjustice.net/ and gutted I am too poor to see him the day after my birthday at the RoundHouse. His recent book the Progressive patriot was not that well written but contained a lot of interesting ideas - many of the same that he talked about in Southend Library when he spoke there. However one of my little fav Bragg writings is this one...

"Shoeburyness. That name brings back memories of days spent far away from the cares of home, when everything was fun except bedtime. The beaches are still there but the green Morris Oxford has gone the way of so many precious things and I shall never see it again. me and my dad have joined the Saxons and the Peasants Revolt in history but the A13 is still there, rolling through a Springsteenesque landscape in which riverine Essex takes the place of the New Jersey shore, a tormacadam trail to the Promised Land."

published in 'The Guide to Real Essex 2007'

i am not angry with you, just disapointed

For my birthday, Mrs Uxbridge bought me tickets to see Billy Bragg at The Roundhouse in March. Good girl ;)

Billy Bragg is a top fella ,singer,and songwriter but he has one fault he's a wet sham fan never mind you cant have it all

Back