• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
Did anyone else see the Dorset(!) Bard on Newsnight late last night?
He presented a short film and took part in a studio discussion on the recent so-called "wildcat" strikes in the UK.
So called because they had unofficial support from Unite which if it had been made official could have seen Union officials arrested
Basically BB suggested we could look forward to seeing a lot more of the same in the future and while supporting the strikers in their advocacy of local jobs for local people, recommended that in order to strengthen workers power, the unions should sign up fully to the EU Social Contract, or the Social Charter, as it's so quaintly called in the UK.
The latter point is something I've been saying for some time now..:clap:
As members of the EU we can't legally (nor should we want to)stop the free movement of labour in Europe.
Yet it's always seemed crazy to me that UK unions haven't taken advantage of the clauses in the SC which make,for example, German, French and Spanish unions so powerful.
.:soapbox:

Last edited:
I think you're probably right. I know nothing about the EU charter and, to be honest, I'm only here because I'm supposed to be writing a 2,000 word preview feature and I'm procrastinating, but that all seems to make sense.

Levi Stubbs' Tears was always my favourite anyway. Where do Unite stand on that, eh?

And how come no-one complained a few years ago when British brickies were nipping off to Spain every summer to build urbanisations for stacks of cash? Can't have your cake and sell it, that's what I always say.

Billy Bragg mentioned that his brother who's a brickie spent time in Germany in the 80's.
Every time I go ino an English/Irish pub here in Barcelona(not that often honest)I run into a load of fellow TEFL Teachers or people in the building game.

Would have to say that my favourite BB track is World Turned Upside Down which of course he nicked from his days on the folk circuit.

Also guilty of bunking off.Should be viewing student DVD group/individual Presentations for final assessments.

Last edited:
Shrimperzone is all too hypnotic, isn't it?! The Thief of Time, as I think Uxbridge called it once.

I'm also a big fan of the one that is just a 2 minute lovelorn poem that ends with the line, "And then she cut 'er 'air and I stopped lovin' 'er."

Genius.

Shrimperzone is all too hypnotic, isn't it?! The Thief of Time, as I think Uxbridge called it once.(QUOTE]

Talking of things "hypnotic" let me say how much I enjoyed your recent footy book especially the interview with Barry Fry(for obvious SUFC related reasons)but also the other chapters which gave some of the more unsung characters in the game a voice.Nice one!

Last edited:
Billy Bragg is from Barking...how or why is he known as the Devon Bard?

Walk Away Renee (version)...

Shrimperzone is all too hypnotic, isn't it?! The Thief of Time, as I think Uxbridge called it once.

I'm also a big fan of the one that is just a 2 minute lovelorn poem that ends with the line, "And then she cut 'er 'air and I stopped lovin' 'er."

Genius.

... (see header) is the track you're referring to, the B-side to the aforementioned 'Levi Stubbs,' and coincidentally quoted from less than 24 hours ago in the 'Quirky Lyrics' thread. Strange things happen... as the 'Now in Devon-but originally from Barking- Bard' once said! :)

Back