• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Birmingham Commonwealth games

The temporary seating is not ideal, but it will serve a purpose, there is no point building a 60k stadium with no end user, I think its a sensible approach. The redevelopment of the area is much needed, a damn shame the athletes won't be staying in Perry Barr in the village as it wasn't finished in time.

It's for the commonwealth games and probably won't be used too much afterwards, probably perfectly adequate

I was expecting a lot more, I'm thinking about Manchester City's ground which was purpose built the last time the Commonwealth games was hosted in the UK. I think that held 60k.

This looks **** poor to me unless I've not seen the pictures of the final product.

The temporary seating is not ideal, but it will serve a purpose, there is no point building a 60k stadium with no end user, I think its a sensible approach. The redevelopment of the area is much needed, a damn shame the athletes won't be staying in Perry Barr in the village as it wasn't finished in time.

Is it open seating at each end? I thought this new stadium was going to be the home of British Athletics.

I was expecting a lot more, I'm thinking about Manchester City's ground which was purpose built the last time the Commonwealth games was hosted in the UK. I think that held 60k.

This looks **** poor to me unless I've not seen the pictures of the final product.
I guess 60k is way to big for an athletics stadium, so unless it has a use after (Man City / West Ham) it has to be much smaller to avoid being a waste. Maybe there's some temporary stands to be erected just for the games???? The BBC article mentions the cost - over 700m pounds to host the games (?) - crazy money

Is it open seating at each end? I thought this new stadium was going to be the home of British Athletics.

Its fully enclosed with seating but only two main stands are covered. The bends have the capacity for temporary seating to be added increasing the capacity from 18k to 40k.

I think it looks pretty smart, and considering its hosting athletics and music events i think its not too bad.

I guess 60k is way to big for an athletics stadium, so unless it has a use after (Man City / West Ham) it has to be much smaller to avoid being a waste. Maybe there's some temporary stands to be erected just for the games???? The BBC article mentions the cost - over 700m pounds to host the games (?) - crazy money

18,000 permanent seats, plus 12,000 temporary seats

Birmingham City didn't fancy it then!! I don't know the area, so I really can't comment.

We get some really big crowds for major events, this just seems a bit of a let down, it doesn't have the wow factor at all.

I think the council had initial discussions with blues, it wasn't a project i've been involved in so I can't be sure. However their support is predominantly in the south of the city and the move would not be popular, tie that in with a dysfunctional ownership it wouldn't be worth the risk. The nearest club is Aston Villa but they would never move from Villa Park.

Now the Commonwealth Games have finished I reckon Birmingham deserves a big, big round of applause for the organisation and delivery of the games.:Clap::Clap::Clap:

Running the Para-commonwealth and regular games in parallel must have been a logistical nightmare, but they seem to have pulled it off. One note of disappointment for me was the politically correct coverage of the games by the BBC I would be content just to be told the athletic capabilities of a competitor not to be blitzed with non athletic garnish, but there you go.

Opening ceremony time! Looking forward to this.

I loved the whole Satanic theme. Never used to watch opening ceremonies as the were so dull but that’s certainly changed now.

Still didn’t watch any of the games.

Sure you know this but covid and subsequent delays had a big impact. Also the fact they originally where planning to bid for the next games and stepped in to replace South Africa, it’s not a surprise they did not finish. Massively over budget also

Back