• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tampa Blue

Director⭐
Well from 4,500 miles away that seemed a bizarre team selection lacking in any creativity or movement in midfield and until Reeves came on the tactics made Luggy's hoofball look sophisticated.

We looked like we had a Pub Player at left back and IMHO should have started with Phillips alongside Cresswell with Prosser at left back.

Hope everyone had a great day out even though the performance didn't match the hope.

At least I got to see the whole 90 minutes Sky coverage though I would have loved to have been there.

It wasn't bizarre - it was idiotic. You're not gonna threaten anything with 6 defenders and a holding midfielder in your starting line up.

Brown seems to have spent so much time looking at other players that the ones of his own seem to have escaped or eluded him into a force sense of positional prowess. Just one league game should surely have enlighted him to the fact that Mohsni is not a CM player.

Ron Martin sacrificed the JPT trophy by sacking Sturrock when he did, hey presto! A new manager with no idea of his best team and ****ing off 32000 Southend united supporters to boot

Ron Martin sacrificed the JPT trophy by sacking Sturrock when he did, hey presto! A new manager with no idea of his best team and ****ing off 32000 Southend united supporters to boot

Exactly this!! How Barker started I don't know no where near match fit, Mohsni is a midfielder never in a million years, can't a man who managed in the premier league see that?? & Straker was shocking AGAIN! We were passed off the park by Crewe, our only hope was bypassing the centre of midfield using Corr up top, happened but too late, the only player with any credit was Tomlin, did some good work but didn't have a lot of support around him.
It was too easy for Crewe knocking ball in space, we are in league 2 because our player don't possess a first touch, decision making skills & ability to play under pressure, our passing was woeful at best

The Crewe way of playing in midfield was the right way to play. Lund was a part of that when he was at Crewe. In fact, the wide open spaces of Wembley would probably have brought out the best in him. It's taylor made for a passing player. To put Mohsni in there instead of him was an absolute joke. Especially as Mohsni has been garbage in that position. If he had been a big success in the games he played there, fair enough.
Yes, the best team won, but Southend weren't too far behind, and who knows what would have happened if Brown got the team selection right.

As a returning "GloryHunter", who's mates had told me how appalling Moshni had been as a CM in the last couple of games & I had heard for myself on the radio, it became apparent after only a few minutes what a half-witted decision this was.

j2000 is entirely correct the defensive set up, with players in wrong positions, just gave the game away.

I stopped coming a couple of years ago, after 25+ years as a seaso, as the standard of football under Sturrock wasn't value for money (personally) against £600 for the wife & I, & Mr Brown did nothing today to suggest he'd do anything to change that view.

If that was a team selection to win a cup final then Barry Harris isn't a virgin.

I wouldn't have minded quite so much had BROWN not seen Mohsni play centre midfield against Fleetwood. It didn't work then and it most certainly didn't work today. Perhaps it was a cardboard cut out in the dug out Monday. On the evidence of team selection today Brown hasn't a clue.

Very bizaire selection that not only contributed to our defeat it also makes me question the appointment of Brown.
After seeing Moshsni cost us a goal against Fleetwood and nearly several more why play him in central midfield again as he just does not have the control to play in that position. Playing Straker wide left was another strange decision as he had at least two better options.

Last edited:
I reckon Brown let emotions get in the way of common sense by a) selecting an unfit Barker (thinking that he so wanted to play and was skip etc) and b) has seen the infectious enthusiasm of Moshni and felt he just had to find a place for him irrespective of whether it suited. Both were daft choices obvious to anyone with common sense- not a good move Mr B, as the manager you are paid to make the right decisions no matter how hard they might be and if you can't do that then you shouldn't be a manager.

Both Lund and Leonard are good passers of the ball, neither made the bench. Eastwood and Reeves both very creative players, both came on far too late. If Browns key tactic next season is to hit it long ball to two pacy forwards then we will come unstuck pretty soon!

Both Lund and Leonard are good passers of the ball, neither made the bench. Eastwood and Reeves both very creative players, both came on far too late. If Browns key tactic next season is to hit it long ball to two pacy forwards then we will come unstuck pretty soon!

The only strikers we have on the books for next season are Harris and Eastwood - and I don't think either of them have ever been described as 'pacy'!!:smile::hilarious:

Quite simply, today should have been about giving Southend United every chance of winning a Trophy for the first time in our history at the home of football. Instead it turned into a total shambles.

The team selection today was scandalous. Fielding eight players who were originally brought to the club we love for the sole purpose of preventing the opposition from scoring, when you are playing a one off game of cup football, is outrageous.

Factually only three players today have an attacking mindset as their first thoughts when they get the ball - Britt, Gavin and Hurst. The rest are all defensively minded.

Personally I thought Barker was only selected because he's the skipper, and out of sentiment rather than need. Brown has not seen him play. Mohsni was never going to be in the right frame of mind to play football at Wembley as he's an emotional time bomb waiting to explode. The shape was never there, the balance totally wayward and just plain wrong. We kept tripping over ourselves, unable to pass ten yards at times.

For a manager who has managed at Premier League level, why does he think it is right to go into a Cup Final and play people so defensively minded? If that's what we have to look forward to over the coming months and seasons I will not be best chuffed.

You have to seize these opportunities with both hands. We didn't even get close to that at any time. I would love to know what the pre match team talk was like - "keep it tight, pick up from corners, don't get caught out early doors" etc...etc... Well, that didn't work.

Half time team talk......??? "Keep it tight, pick up your man, don't give the ball away, don't get caught out early doors" we'll.....that didn't work again!!!

Take out the money spent on today,and basing this solely on footballing matters, I feel very let down today by that performance. Season ticket holder for donkeys years who will be there shouting in support again on Saturday as that's what we do.

We don't ask for much as Southend fans. Effort, commitment, passion and desire. Give us that and we will give back SO much in return. I'm not sure i felt anything from the lads today.

How many floating fans will be back after that?? Not a lot I'd say.

Just got in after 400 mile round trip. Did'nt get the team selection. Brown has pi**ed of 32,000 of us. A decision he may live to regret before he has really started. It was a one off game, what were we hoping to defend ?

Quite simply, today should have been about giving Southend United every chance of winning a Trophy for the first time in our history at the home of football. Instead it turned into a total shambles.

The team selection today was scandalous. Fielding eight players who were originally brought to the club we love for the sole purpose of preventing the opposition from scoring, when you are playing a one off game of cup football, is outrageous.

Factually only three players today have an attacking mindset as their first thoughts when they get the ball - Britt, Gavin and Hurst. The rest are all defensively minded.

Personally I thought Barker was only selected because he's the skipper, and out of sentiment rather than need. Brown has not seen him play. Mohsni was never going to be in the right frame of mind to play football at Wembley as he's an emotional time bomb waiting to explode. The shape was never there, the balance totally wayward and just plain wrong. We kept tripping over ourselves, unable to pass ten yards at times.

For a manager who has managed at Premier League level, why does he think it is right to go into a Cup Final and play people so defensively minded? If that's what we have to look forward to over the coming months and seasons I will not be best chuffed.

You have to seize these opportunities with both hands. We didn't even get close to that at any time. I would love to know what the pre match team talk was like - "keep it tight, pick up from corners, don't get caught out early doors" etc...etc... Well, that didn't work.

Half time team talk......??? "Keep it tight, pick up your man, don't give the ball away, don't get caught out early doors" we'll.....that didn't work again!!!

Take out the money spent on today,and basing this solely on footballing matters, I feel very let down today by that performance. Season ticket holder for donkeys years who will be there shouting in support again on Saturday as that's what we do.

We don't ask for much as Southend fans. Effort, commitment, passion and desire. Give us that and we will give back SO much in return. I'm not sure i felt anything from the lads today.

How many floating fans will be back after that?? Not a lot I'd say.

What a great post. I enjoyed the day out but football wise totally underwhelmed even by Wembley itself tbh.
I hope Mohsni isn't Centre mid against Rochdale. Do not want to see him there again. Not sure what PB was thinking with the starting line up and we never got a foothold in that game.

What Mr Martin has signed for the club is an egotistical wanabee celebrity rather than a football manager - he may have screwed up the team selection but his designer stuble looks great in the photos.

What Mr Martin has signed for the club is an egotistical wanabee celebrity rather than a football manager - he may have screwed up the team selection but his designer stuble looks great in the photos.

These are my exact thoughts every time I see Mr. Brown

Bumped into Sturrock in the concourse post match. He couldn't understand at all the selection of Moshni at Centre-mid. He said any other position, fine!, but by no means centre mid...

To be honest, the JPT result doesn't bother me one bit. (Although our dire league performance in the league as a side effect of the competition does)

Until I see him failing with a team that he's built himself, I will be firmly behind our manager.

Sturrock has failed to achieve his objectives in the past two years and whilst I would have given him one more year myself, I respect Martins decision.

Back