• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
We last hosted Blackburn on November 5th, 26 years ago. Fireworks provided courtesy of Brett Angell, twice, and Ian Benjamin giving us a 3-0 victory and our first and only win against them in 12 matches. Angell was in the middle of a run of scoring in seven consecutive matches against teams of the calibre of Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Sunderland. Happy days.

This season's curtain raiser will be officiated by the relatively inexperienced Lee Swabey, making the long journey from Plymouth. He turns 34 this month and works as a Sports Manager for TGS Coaching. Previous employment included directorships of two now dissolved sports companies in Devonport (previously Plymouth Dock).

He is in his third season, although he missed a good part of last season through injury doing only 14 matches, bringing his career record to 45 matches with an above average 157 yellow cards and a well above average 14 reds. It is not difficult to find a number of criticisms of some of his performances.

He has refereed Southend just once before, the 2-2 home draw with Fleetwood in April 2016 when the only card of the game was a yellow shown to Adam Thompson. (Although that was just 16 months ago, only 4 of the 18 players selected that day remain at the club and two of them aren't fit!)

Assisting will be another Lee, Lee Venamore an insurance manager from Maidstone and very poor non-league referee, Michael George from North Walsham, Norfolk. Fourth Official will be a very good non-league referee, Alan Young from Ely who works as Referee Development Manager for the Cambridgeshire FA.

For those (few) of you interested in such matters the tranche of new referees this season is as follows:

Anthony Backhouse (Cumberland FA) from Heads Nook near Brampton
Antony Coggins (Oxfordshire FA) from Bicester
Martin Coy (Durham FA) from Durham
Craig Hicks (Surrey FA) from Sutton
Tom Nield (West Riding FA) from West Riding of Yorkshire
Scott Oldham (Lancashire FA) from not Oldham, but Blackpool.

All have featured as Assistant Referees in past Southend matches.

They don't announce departures, but, sadly, Kettle has appeared once again on the fixtures !

For those (few) of you interested in such matters the tranche of new referees this season is as follows:

Anthony Backhouse (Cumberland FA) from Heads Nook near Brampton
Antony Coggins (Oxfordshire FA) from Bicester
Martin Coy (Durham FA) from Durham
Craig Hicks (Surrey FA) from Sutton
Tom Nield (West Riding FA) from West Riding of Yorkshire
Scott Oldham (Lancashire FA) from not Oldham, but Blackpool.

All have featured as Assistant Referees in past Southend matches.

They don't announce departures, but, sadly, Kettle has appeared once again on the fixtures !

For sure he is NOT a good ref, decisions wrong, late or unfathomable; yet, IIRC we seem to get some reasonable results with him as ref BUT he does tend to adversely affect a game's flow.
AND when we lose with him "in charge" it is always good to have some one to blame.:winking:

Elsewhere in the refereeing world, Darren Deadman has been summarily removed from the National List of referees for some sort of misconduct issue. Probably something spurious involving social media or betting on a match he wasn't involved in rather than all his real crimes against football over the last 12 years.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/resources/images/2259128.jpg?display=1&htype=100000&type=responsive-gallery

The Sun are running the story now.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4176473/referees-darren-deadman-david-coote-sacked-before-season-kicks-off/

Shame they've used a picture of Neil Hair instead. Facts and accuracy never were the Sun's strong points.

talking with my lad at the game Saturday, both thought the ref had a good game, to the extent of "you do know what you're doing":smile:

I thought he was pretty good also. The only mistake (if you could call it that) that I think he made was to give a foul against Timlin for a superb challenge. From where is was standing it may have looked like a foul, but the lino, who had exactly the opposite view didn't flag as, from that angle, it was very clear he had won the ball. If that is the only "mistake" I can think of then well done him. That said, it's also entirely possible that it was a foul but could only be seen from his angle and not the lino's...

I suppose I was a bit surprised by the 5 minutes added time, but there you go.

I thought he had a good day. He let a few challenges go that I thought would normally have been fouls but that seemed to be applied fairly evenly. Apparently, according to the Blackburn Rovers fans, he was a Homer who never gave them anything, provided their stars with no protection, and is an indication of the treatment they're going to get all season.

I couldn't see the 5 minutes added time myself.

The added time apart, I thought the ref had a very decent game. Back to normal standards next week then when the Prem officials go back to the Prem?!

Thought the ref was excellent, 5 mins was exactly what i reckoned he would add.

Having had a look through the Blackburn forums, which are a hilarious read, they all seem to think he had an absolute shocker and didn't punish our 'physical' style of play. Boy are they in for a shock this season if they believe those two things now :clap: :hilarious:

Having had a look through the Blackburn forums, which are a hilarious read, they all seem to think he had an absolute shocker and didn't punish our 'physical' style of play. Boy are they in for a shock this season if they believe those two things now :clap: :hilarious:

Oh yes, can't wait till they've met Fleetwood and their renowned style!

I thought 5 mins was fair enough - 1 goal, 5 subs, 3 bookings

And no injury stoppages.

5 subs, say 2.5 mins
3 bookings, say 0.5 mins

No time for goals...unless the ref decides it warrants it, but Blackburn sprinted back to their half, and we weren't excessively slow either. I would say 3 mins would have sufficed.

Either way, we're nit-picking. The ref had a good game.

Last edited:
Thought the ref was excellent, 5 mins was exactly what i reckoned he would add.

Ha!! laughable attitude to our type of play , they've come down thinking they will cruise it , and got a shock, this 'how dare you tackle us , we are Blackburn rovers attitude'' makes them look mugs , welcome to league one ..... get over yourselves and accept the fact you underestimated us as a team , and us as a club.....have some humility and show some class that we did our job....you lost , learn from it and man up

Back