• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Sorry its a bit late but what a day out.

Stayed at my old mans in Hullbridge and got picked up by mates at 4am for short trip to Stansted. After being harrased by the security staff we set of for the bar and had a quick drink.

Got to departure lounge and it was full of Southend fans - Maybe 40-50 I would say. Short easy trip up to Blackpool and landed around 8am

Four of us straight into a taxi - Cabby took us to greasy cafe where I had mega breakfast which can only be described as massive. Looked at watch and realised we only had 7 hours before kick off.

Blackpool on a bank holiday is like a bad day in Bosnia. Nothing at all to do so we found a amusement arcade for a air-hockey tournement of which I came last.

Finally 11 o'clock came and we found a pub in the town and bedded in for a few.

Wont bore you with talk of game as enough threads on that.

After game we realised we had 5 hours to kill so headed into the town for a few more beers. Ended up in Yates with a few other Southend parties.

Met some lovely Blackpool fans who asked if we and the lads wanted to go outside for a dance. Wasnt sure if they were hooligans or homosexuals but neither seemed appealing so we politely declined.

Made it back to the station via taxi walked into terminal and who should we see - The players. Most of em had already checked in but had a good chat with Che who was really genuine bloke. He said lads were all confident of going up and feared no-one.

Got into the lounge and realised that bulk of Southend fans were as hammered as we were. Prior and Kev come into lounge for a coffee but didnt really want to talk. Gutts come in later and got some stick fo buying pork scrathings which he took well. Had a brief chat with Cole - Brief as he could only say a few words if you know what I mean.

Then disaster struck - A tannoy annoucement was made to advise flight delayed by an hour. "Oh no" cried everyone more drinking time - Damm....Knocked back a few more.

After a Servisair warning to PC Spooner that Southend fans were too drunk to fly. Spooner responded by asking everyone to be sensible. Fans responded by singing "Chicken in a Basket - Super Roy."

Found out from someone in the know that Charles Ademeno was ment to be on the trip. However when Tilly advised the players the day before to bring some photo ID to fly the bulk of them thought of passport or photo driving license.Charles on the other and thought a London City Bus Pass would be acceptable. Sadly Ryanar did not agree and he was refused boarding at STN.

A memrobilia collector amongst the Blues contingent decided to show off his latest prize to keep us entertained which turned out to be Freddy Eastwoods boarding card which he had stolen. I did see Fred on the plane so he is home.

Got on plane after players had had early check in.Players were sitting at the front so in my drunken wisdom decided to pat each one of them on the head to celebrate the win. Wayne Gray took it well - Juppy not so well so decided to stop.

Sat down by emergency exit and stewardess explained I was in charge of getting doors open which was quite funny in itself as I couldnt even get my flies open in the loo 5 mins before boarding.

A soon as plane was in air the songs started much to Spooners disgust.  The "Wayne Gray is the New Pele" chat was well recieved by the player hmself.

Sadly Captain Marvel didnt seem to take to his song with the same vim as Wayne Gray had. Mind you "Kevin Mahers got a monkey on his head" is an aquired taste.

Players got off at STN to a chourus of "Were proud of you Southend".

Top day - Would recommend flying to anyone.

DtS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Jan. 03 2006,21:24)]Blackpool on a bank holiday is like a bad day in Bosnia. Nothing at all to do ...
Funny, Dave. I don't remember such a bad day in Bosnia being so boring in 96 mate! "Incoming!"

WS
Jávea

tounge.gif
wink.gif

Superb report!!!

biggrin.gif

Maher doesn't seem to have much humour, but i can expect that from him, oh well.

Spot on report that DtS. Saw you chaps in t'arcade on the air hockey in the morning whilst walking along the 'front!

Kev

Funniest song on the plane has to be.

it was a penalty

Sung to che after his hack in the 92nd minute, which all the officials missed but 395 southend fans thought was going to result in a draw snatched from the jaws of victory.

Walked the 3 - 4 miles to blackpool met up with about 10 other blues fans in Blackpools superBowl bowling Alley 10 lanes all crap.

Would definately fly again.

few songs sung were a bit near the knuckle with families (non footy) on the plane.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shoebury Shrimper @ Jan. 04 2006,02:52)]Walked the 3 - 4 miles to blackpool met up with about 10 other blues fans in Blackpools superBowl bowling Alley 10 lanes all crap.
That would've been us then, i.e. Mr & Mrs Hooly + boy wonder, Mr & Mrs GNH, Mr & Mrs Ninj' & lastly but definitely least, Mr Harry Barris (no danger of a Mrs there!).

Similar day to DtS.  Arrived at Stansted about 5.30 giving enough time for a beer for breakfast.  Plane ready to leave on time, but took 35 minutes to find the runway!  And only 40 mins to get from there to Blackpool International.  Taxi into town for a fat boys (& girls).  Scriv, Nicky Hayes & Chris Phillips sat there concocting the match report, think Maher got an 8!  Surprise or what.  Only 6 1/2 hours to kick off!

Strolled up the very shabby promenade passing "Blackpool's newest venue" - some derelict looking pub, arcades advertising the delights of a cup of tea for 10p - bet that's quality Ceylon, 57 different charity shops - whose prices were probably more than the 70% off sales in the 20 "everything a pound" emporiums & enough boarded up places to make Southend's Golden Mile almost look like Monte Carlo.  As Catherine Tate's Nan character would say "What a f%&king sh!thole". Only 5 1/2 hours to kick off!

An unsuccessful hunt for an early drink saw us take shelter in the bowling alley.  Only 4 3/4 hours to kick off!  Well "What a f%&king Disgrace".  If Shane Warne had seen like rough that at the end of a wicket,  England would have scored about 10 runs between then all last summer.  How you get divots like that God only knows.  The 15lb balls weighed about 13lb due the large chunks taken out of them, the pins reset after each frame with varying number of pins between 0 and 9, seldom all 10, and if there was any oil on the lanes I suspect it was chip fat!

Having used only half of our allotted games we gave up & sought out a lunchtime beer in Yates & then Walkabout.  Only 3 1/2 hours to kick off!  Enough time for a few NZ Steinlagers, a Kangaroo steak(or could've been one of the surplus Blackpool Donkeys) and a laugh at the Wet Hamsters losing.

An hour to go, so wandered to the ground through the roads of depressing looking B&B's.  As DtS said the games been covered enough elsewhere, but thank god the day had brightened up from the morning.

After the match found the Yates, up by the Pleasure Beach.  Yes that one Scriv!  Not many but SUFC fans in there & none when we left.  Several Magners later saw a quick visit to the chippy along the road for fish cakes, chips, mushy peas & gravy!  Marvellous!  Then a cab to the airport about an hour before we were due to fly.

The little airprt bar magically reopened, so a few Strongbows consumed.  Plane delayed so consumed a few more.  Dick & the other liasion Sgt were in attendance, so kept a wary eye out, & if Ryanair had wanted to ban anyone who'd had a drink there'd have been about 3 people flying.  But we were a merry lot.  If you had to criticise I think a few more of the players could've made a apperance, rather than hiding in their private room.  Che "claimed" to have got a touch on the ball, without convincing many of us & seemed like a good bloke.  Even Mr Barris was nice to him!

Got back to Stansted, shook St Adam's hand (not washed  yet) who thanked us (genuinely I felt) for having travelled. Met Petts by the ticket machine, whose forehead did look a bit messed up, and sympathised about his lack of luck.

My last experience was flying to Scarborough.  This was 10 times cheaper (well it started off cheap) & 100 times more fun.  Great day out.  Back home about 12.45.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Got back to Stansted, shook St Adam's hand (not washed yet)

Brave man, Hooly. That was the hand last seen conducting an audit on AB's most precious assets.

biggrin.gif

It was really a fantastic plane journey, and i would certainly do that again, but what a long day!!

I got up at 2am, and got back in bed at 2:10am, the following day!!

Loved it though!!

Also spoke to Freddy as he was getting in his car, and it seems the rest of the squad will be abusing Kev for his "monkey" for a while to come yet!!

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ Jan. 04 2006,18:20)]It was really a fantastic plane journey, and i would certainly do that again, but what a long day!!

I got up at 2am, and got back in bed at 2:10am, the following day!!

Loved it though!!

Also spoke to Freddy as he was getting in his car, and it seems the rest of the squad will be abusing Kev for his "monkey" for a while to come yet!!

biggrin.gif
How many times did we bump into you lot!? Haha. As Hooly said, there really was sweet f.a to do for most of the morning and could have done with leaving Stanstead about 10 and leaving Blackpool around 8 to make it a bit more bearable but would certainly fly to match again!!

Back