• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Blackpool FC 2-1 Southend United

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
A continuation of last Saturday's form again this afternoon and we were unlucky to come away empty handed.

Match reports and comments here please.

Only saw the second half (on iFollow) but it was fairly close and we looked like we could do something until that pen.Personally I though Milligan was at fault for that rather than Ox.

On the M55 heading home. We were beaten by the ref....... Should have been 1-1, could have been 3-1 to us. McLaughlin, Mantom, Hutchinson Dieng and Elvis stood out for us. Charlie was a bit quiet and muscled off the ball too easily. Blackpool were no great shakes. Feeney was fast and tricksy on the ball but couldn't cross accurately....until he did, just once and they scored. Dammit.

SOUTHEND United’s wait for back to back wins continues after suffering a 2-1 defeat at Blackpool this afternoon.

More...

That was a pretty determined performance from Southend. We had spells in the first half where we could have realistically scored and probably didn't deserve to go in 1-0 at half time but if you don't put your chances away.............

Second half we really went for them and as others has said their penalty looked very harsh on the Ox, I thought he got to the ball first and their forward fell over him. However the ref today was not in an'away' mood with most decisions going Blackpool's way. One thing is for sure, we don't roll over any more and we are far more disciplined in keeping our shape. McLaughlin's goal is one to savour, it was an absolute screamer, and the best thing in the second half was we just kept going at them and they were very lucky not to concede again. We may go down this season, but this team has discovered it's pride and a 'team' is exactly what we are now.

At least we never got a thrashing as I think we most likely would have got 6 weeks ago.

Ok we lost. No disgrace, nothing to criticise really. The sort of committed performance missing for most of the first half of the season. ? Over the sub of Hutchinson.

Ok we lost. No disgrace, nothing to criticise really. The sort of committed performance missing for most of the first half of the season. ? Over the sub of Hutchinson.
I'm not sure whether Hutchinson was injured or whether Sol though Kinali would be more solid in the middle. I thought Hutch was a bit hit and miss today.

Totally agree. We were much better in the 2nd half and Oxley got a clear hand on the ball as it went sideways. Deserved something out of the game. Trouble is we are so far adrift we can’t afford to be unlucky anymore.

Goodship did well when he came on, Elvis and Dieng were fairly solid, Mantom did ok, and Milligan had a good game other than being beaten for the penalty.

Hutchinson and Kelman struggled to get involved, and Macca worked hard and what a goal.

Going to be much harder on Tuesday, but then we have to start winning some home games.

The team gave their collective all. A few passes went a stray but it's clear that sol is working really hard on shape and possession.

Given what we have to work with its credit to the youth set up. None of the youngsters looked out of their depth again.

Oxley 5. Gave away a penalty and didn't need to dive in. Good distribution and handling. Possibly poorly positioned for their first goal. Was a peach of a cross though.

Demetriou 6. Worked hard and got stuck in.

Elvis 6. Struggled against the pace and power of Blackpools forwards but looked very assured on the ball.

Deing 6. Aerially good but looked a little off the pace. Worked hard.

Clifford 6.5 stuck to his job. Seems calm on the ball and quite tenacious in the tackle. Didn't cut.out the cross for their first goal but had a good game.

Barrett 5. Looked a little off the pace and out of his depth at times. Subbed early.

Milligan 6. Sometimes sublime and sometimes woeful. But a steady performance

Mantom 6.5 as above with just slightly more accuracy to his passing and got a great effort away which the keeper parried.

Hutchinson 5.5. Looks good in spells and poor in spells. Still the player that looks most likely to create.

McLaughlin 7 mom. Should have scored first half. One on one and made a complete mess of it. Then scores a 25 yarder. Worked hard and more like the macca of old.

Kelman 5.5. Had no service and tried hard. Just didn't have any kind of outlet and was dominated by their defence. Did nothing of note but had no chance to.

Goodship 5.5. Another that looks out of his depth at times but works hard.

Kinali 6. Looked bright and a promising one for the future.

Rush 6.5. Replaced Kelman. Looked to have a little swagger about him and won a couple of corners at the death. Like to see more.

Blackpool have a vastly more experienced team and it showed at times. Up front they caused problems but didn't look that much better. They were just more streetwise and saw the game out.

I'm liking the effort of the team the shape of the team and definately the movement and passing.

If only sol had come in earlier. Let's hope whatever happens, we can keep him for next year's rebuild.

Looked from IFollow, much the same as usual lightweight in defense. 2nd was marginally better than the 1st, but in reality we are hardly any better.

Ok well, that was harsh on us. We compete now, we aren’t whipping boys. Few things to note .. why do we persist with Mantom on set pieces? Barratt, just didn’t get into the game so that sub was right, Kelman same.. Isaac I questioned at the time but Kinali I thought did well driving forward and offered a different threat. Thought Milligan and Mantom did well in midfield. I quite like these little interchanges of passes, even if they don’t come off always.

Didn’t get a clear enough view of the pen. Ref in general was poor I thought. Macca’s goal was top drawer, as soon as it left his foot someone behind me shouted “goal”.
Support superb, acknowledged by the players I think. Nice that Taylor Moore got a song and he clapped back, such a shame he couldn’t come back for another spell. We’re definitely building a team spirit and fans are connecting with players more again.

It all bodes well moving forward. Of course, disappointed with the defeat but again I can’t fault the players for trying/caring.

On way home now. Very disappointed as thought we did enough to not lose the game. Poor first goal to give away and up to that point we had looked slightly better. Macca had a golden chance and should have scored and also had a shot saved by the keeper with Barrett and Milligan also having shots at goal. second half we were all on top with Mantom coming close to scoring and then a long punt upfield not delay with leading to a mix up in the area and as Ox has dived in to get the ball their lad has gone over and ref gives a harsh penalty. After that we were backs to the wall for a while and then Macca hit a great goal too corner and some belief came back into the team. We pressed hard but it wasn’t to be again today. Dieng, Elvis, Mantom and Macca stand outs today. Kelman was well marshalled by their defence and Hutchinson and Barrett unfortunately were poor today. Milligan worked hard as did Clifford and also Goodship

So yes a defeat but not disgraced in anyway and on another day might have got something. 294 of us up there today which was a great effort and the fans again got behind the team

Can’t go Tuesday and quite relieved looking at Peterborough’s recent form.

It was never a penalty.

Right now I'm getting it in both ears and eating copious amounts of humble pie as all the in-laws are Blackpool, all at the game and behind the goal when the penalty was awarded. They said Oxley never touched their player and even they admitted he went down too easily.

We were robbed but credit to all the players. Gutsy performances throughout. What a cracker from Macca, Clifford, Kelman, and Mantom also played well for me.

Right now off for a few drinks with the outlaws, They may have beaten us on the pitch but a bit of Southend steel will soon drink those softie shandy supping Northerners under the table :Smile:

The day started well with a stroll along the windy prom at Blackpool. Very similar to our own dear resort but with three piers (albeit short ones). Also a darn great tower. No Kursaal though. Nice new trams running along the pram and strange glass carriages being pulled by white horses along the road. Very windy on the prom so eventually turned inland and had a very good pizza at Bella Italia. My, the northern waitresses are friendly lasses. None of the surly faces we sometimes get at home. Strengthened by a pint of Becks I strolled off to the stadium. It's quite impressive bit smaller than I expected and Man it was draught and cold. There was a very nice touch before the kick off when the crowd gave a minutes applause in honour of all the Blackpool fans who had died during 2019, their names were displayed on the video screen. Derek Spence was welcomed by the bloke with the microphone as he made a presentation of some sort. He missed a trick by not mentioning that he played for us,as well as Blackpool.

I was warmed up by our first half display. We looked good and purposeful and Blackpool looked short of confidence. Milligan shot just over the bar and McLaughlin fluffed a good chance. Blackpool scored against the run of play when their winger finally got an accurate cross in. Clifford should have challenged but the ball took a slight deflection off him and sat up for you know who to nod home from two yards out. Our heads didn't drop and we held on until half time. In the second half we were quite dominant initially but the soft penalty was blow and we were under the cosh for a while. But we fought back in a way we didn't do for the first 15 games of the season and the excellent McLaughlin scored a great goal (shame he didn't get the one in the first half) and we were unlucky not to get an equaliser. We do need someone a bit taller and stronger than Charlie upfront.....

Overall an encouraging performance with no luck

SOUTHEND United manager Sol Campbell felt his side's disappinting first half display was to blame for this afternoon's 2-1 defeat at Blackpool.

More...

Back