• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Blackpool FC 2 - 2 Southend United

Kiernan, Lennon, Moore, Turner, Bwomono, Hart, Demi

7 defenders.

Dieng, Bunn, Hyam.

Wtf?

Really don’t get that, last 20 minutes, other than the Cox chance we were camped on the edge of our box. It was always going to happen.

Gutted and we could be in the bottom 4 by Wednesday.

Kiernan and Lennon playing 90 minutes is a huge huge positive! Great to have them both back. Moore, Kiernan, Lennon and Turner is a good lot to choose from.

A certain irony there in that you’re reasonably gutted about the late equalizer but the result was probably about right. And for us it was all about the day and the game - although important - was secondary for many. And I would just point out that your lot were only in the lead because we can’t defend corners. The one on one which could and probably should have made it 1-3 was the only other chance I can recall, whereas Blackpool were very much on the attack throughout the second half, aided by some unusually early subs. And your defence worked hard to limit decent chances - reading earlier posts though it makes sense if there were so many defenders on the pitch!

Results-oriented thinking is flawed though. You're basing your view on the unlucky outcome rather than the process. The process led to the fact that Blackpool didn't create a single chance in our box after the changes. 90% of the time - if not more often - conceding zero chances in our box will result in us not conceding an equaliser.

Exactly. Some people are so bloody negative in their thinking and just want to criticise. They're not just 'glass half empty' types, they're 'glass half empty and what there is left is poison' types.

Had Cox put that late chance away we'd be talking about a professional shut-out and perfect 'catch them on the break' tactics for a 3-1 win.

Unfortunately, Cox didn't take his chance and the rest is history.

A certain irony there in that you’re reasonably gutted about the late equalizer but the result was probably about right. And for us it was all about the day and the game - although important - was secondary for many. And I would just point out that your lot were only in the lead because we can’t defend corners. The one on one which could and probably should have made it 1-3 was the only other chance I can recall, whereas Blackpool were very much on the attack throughout the second half, aided by some unusually early subs. And your defence worked hard to limit decent chances - reading earlier posts though it makes sense if there were so many defenders on the pitch!

Of course we’re gutted. 9 times out of 10, we walk away with 3 points, regardless of how deserved they were.

When you’re looking over your shoulder at relegation, these things matter.

Truth be told, your lot have nicked a point. That’s the way it goes.

SOUTHEND United substitute Jason Demetriou was yellow carded before entering the action at Blackpool this afternoon.

More...

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell urged his players to keep their heads high despite admitting this afternoon’s 2-2 draw at Blackpool felt more like a defeat.

More...

Powell In. He made some brace decisions today and almost paid off.
Really happy for the lads returning. We are going to be a lot stronger with them back.
Tough to take but at least we took a point. Hopefully we can build on it. UTB

The brave decisions that you refer to didn't pay off. Despite you saying they nearly paid off these are the type of decisions that he has failed at already this season.

The defense we're dealing with their forwards. Cut off the supply by parking the midfield... No Powell packs the final third with players and we drop deep. Is it any surprise that a packed and condense penalty area leads to their equalizer.

Of course we’re gutted. 9 times out of 10, we walk away with 3 points, regardless of how deserved they were.

When you’re looking over your shoulder at relegation, these things matter.

Truth be told, your lot have nicked a point. That’s the way it goes.

9 out of 10 times... You are joking! 5 out of 10 we will throw it away. Look at the stats for this season

Gutting to lose 2 points the way we did, but would have taken a draw pre-match given the circumstances and the big crowd. Let’s take it as a positive, with Lennon and Kiernan doing so well on their returns a big plus, and aim for the three points next weekend.

9 out of 10 times... You are joking! 5 out of 10 we will throw it away. Look at the stats for this season

Come on, we see it time & time again, throughout the divisions, that a team in that situation, will normally cling onto the points.

How many teams went into stoppage time today, with a single goal lead? And how many, subsequently lost that lead?

Yeah, I get it, it isn’t happening for us. But that’s the point, we’ve just been crippled by bad luck this season.

You want to speak about stats, but you want to omit the stats that say, when we went defensive, we shut Blackpool out. Except for that last gasp equaliser.

Some will see that as bad management. Some will see that as unlucky. Such is life

Gutting to lose 2 points the way we did, but would have taken a draw pre-match given the circumstances and the big crowd. Let’s take it as a positive, with Lennon and Kiernan doing so well on their returns a big plus, and aim for the three points next weekend.
As much as I agree that the returning players are a big positive especially as they played a full 90 minutes... Positives like this won't keep us up. We need wins and points... Not sentiments..

As much as I agree that the returning players are a big positive especially as they played a full 90 minutes... Positives like this won't keep us up. We need wins and points... Not sentiments..

We have 10 games left. We need 3 wins

I see it as very unlucky. The ref looks like he is about to blow his whistle and lets the attack go on. The ball hits Moore before he has a chance to adjust or direct the ball. It was the last second of the game. They hardly had a chance once our subs came on. CP has been at fault a few times this season, but not this one.

Just listing the positives from the game

- bishop had a great game with some wonderful saves
- Elvis looks strong and composed after landing heavily in the first few minutes
- not seen much from Hart so far this season but that was a very solid performance and got forward well
- after a lay-off for Lennon, and a near two-year lay-off for Kiernan, both looked really solid and pretty fit
- turner was solid and you could see what the goal meant to him
- after a rough week, Mantom was near his best.
- Hyam hasn’t convinced yet but he did a really important job today and shook off a nasty tackle that needs stitches. I was impressed
- Kelman didn’t seem fazed with getting a start, and think he supported Cox pretty well
- Bunn and Demitriou returning is really important for squad depth and challenging for positions.
- we played with shape throughout and were organised
- we scored from two set pieces. Both taken really well
- players were talking and encouraging throughout
- there was a good amount of bite and aggression in the team without it being excessive
- we now have a match fit defense with 2 RBs, 4 CBs and a LB
- our squad is clearly adaptable to different formations and roles expected of them

UTBs

Last edited:
Come on, we see it time & time again, throughout the divisions, that a team in that situation, will normally cling onto the points.

How many teams went into stoppage time today, with a single goal lead? And how many, subsequently lost that lead?

Yeah, I get it, it isn’t happening for us. But that’s the point, we’ve just been crippled by bad luck this season.

You want to speak about stats, but you want to omit the stats that say, when we went defensive, we shut Blackpool out. Except for that last gasp equaliser.

Some will see that as bad management. Some will see that as unlucky. Such is life

I don't care about other teams today or during the season. I care about my team. How can you say we shut out Blackpool after going defensive? We had too many defensive players on the pitch trying to defend. What a surprise that we scored the goal. We were too deep and were encouraging Blackpool to attack. I don't call this this bad luck

It feels like a loss but hopefully the performance today will dial back some of the doom and gloom that's been on here in the last week.

Ultimately in our 8 match winless run we've played 5 of the top 6, and I think most would have expected us to not win those matches. Then we've got 2 draws against Blackpool and Accrington that on another day we would have won. The only really bad result was losing to Bristol Rovers, although Coughlan seems to have worked a miracle to turn their season around.

I think the winless run has made people panic more than is needed, we've had a tough run of fixtures but the performances against Blackpool and Accrington have shown that we can compete against teams outside the top 6, and as long as we can keep those performances up for the rest of the season we'll be comfortably clear of relegation come the end of the season.
I think your comment about the games we have had in this 8 game run without a win, is absolutely spot on. I think in all of the 4 draws we have shown battling qualities, and as regards the other games that we lost, all bar Bristol Rovers were sides that we and many other teams have found difficult to get anything from.

It is now where we need to show our qualities. Scunthorpe, Wimbledon and Shrewsbury coming up in the next 4 games. We should be aiming for seven points from these matches, and then one more win should do it.

It's strange but although we are closer than ever to the bottom four, I feel more confident about things, because the games are in theory far more winnable now, and secondly getting Hyam, Demetriou, Kiernan and Lennon back gives our team far more of a backbone.

I don't care about other teams today or during the season. I care about my team. How can you say we shut out Blackpool after going defensive? We had too many defensive players on the pitch trying to defend. What a surprise that we scored the goal. We were too deep and were encouraging Blackpool to attack. I don't call this this bad luck

You don’t have to call it bad luck. I’m saying that I do.

We shut out a play-off chasing team, on their own patch, in front of their biggest crowd for 5 years, for the entire second half, aside from that last kick of the game. That tells me that it wasn’t a tactical error, or mis-management. It was sheer bad luck.

You haven’t got to agree with me. I’m just just trying to be balanced

Last edited:
I’d say that going to a team on the edge of the play-offs with a buzzing atmosphere and their biggest crowd in years while we only have one fit striker and getting a point is an alright result. Of course, a win would have been nicer and we should have seen it out, but there’s no need for quite the doom and gloom.

Had it been us scoring an equaliser with the last kick it would be an entirely different feeling from the same result, if we’re ignoring sentiments and looking at results.

Back