• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Blackpool FC 2 - 2 Southend United

Yes it was sickening to lose two points so late in the game and especially so as it was via an own goal. However, I suspect that most teams in the division would have been happy with a point today as given Blackpool's circumstances this was no ordinary away fixture. Could we have gained even wella point had we been forced to field last week's team? I doubt it.
For me two things far outweigh any negatives on the day. The first is two goals from corners! When was the last time that happened? And optimistically I would suggest that this is no statistical anomally but a consequence of us having a number of tall players on the pitch at the same time. The addition of Kieran and Lennon to the team make Turner and Dieng a greater potential threat.
Secondly and finally Kiernan's goal. Can any of us even begin to imagine how it has been for him during the last eighteen months? The physical pain, the mental anguish, endless rehab and setbacks and wondering if he would ever play again? Not only does he make it back on the pitch but he marks his return with a goal for team who had almost forgotten how to score them! And he scores at Blackpool on a day when their supporters were seeking to monopolise all of the available emotion! He had a decent game as well but as long as his body (and knees) can hold together he will improve (as will Lennon).
Hopefully this result was the first of a decent run of form and there will be more goals from set pieces and corners. And that Kiernan will at least score another before the end of season.
In the meantime I want to publicly express my appreciation and admiration for Kiernan's achievement in playing again. He is inspirational. Stories like this make supporting Southend worthwhile.
Well done Rob and I hope the knees stood up to the game well enough for you to play on Tuesday.

I did worry about the wisdom in leaving Kiernan and Lennon on for a full 90 when we have another match in a few days.

I hope we approach the game on Tuesday with a positive attitude, let's look at today as a point gained rather than two lost. I've got more faith in us getting a win on Tuesday than at home against the Dons. Especially with party poopers Wordsworth and Pigott potentially playing.

And Mitch Pinnock who may have a point to prove as well.

Kiernan, Lennon, Moore, Turner, Bwomono, Hart, Demi

7 defenders.

Dieng, Bunn, Hyam.

Wtf?

Really don’t get that, last 20 minutes, other than the Cox chance we were camped on the edge of our box. It was always going to happen.

Gutted and we could be in the bottom 4 by Wednesday.
Good job the season doesn't end on Thursday then.

If we slip in, do you think we’ve got it in us to claw back out?

We haven’t got a win in almost 2 months

With these players coming back, yeah.

I don't think many of them will play on Tuesday as they will need to be managed back carefully and I doubt we'll get three points at Glanford Park where we have never won before (but it'll be a great time to break that hoodoo!). I also doubt we'll beat Wimbledon as they are fighting for their lives and we have the ex-shrimper effect to contend with. But then we have 2 very winnable games; away at Peterborough and home to Shrewsbury.

Look. we've had a bad run. As I said on last weeks Barnsley thread, when we had a fullish team in October, we had 5 wins out of 7. We will be out of trouble by the time we play Sunderland, of that I'm sure. But I think we'll have to wait to start getting the points we need.

So we have to keep faith, get behind the team and not panic. SCP isn't going anywhere this season, it's all about staying in L1 and going again in 2019/20. An important caveat; these returning players need not to break down again and Cox stays fit and available.

I don’t see what you’re trying to prove here... obviously a point against 8th is better. That said, when the team in 14th draw away against 17th I’d see it as a missed opportunity rather than an unacceptable result.

I never used the phrase unacceptable result. In both games like many others the tactics/line ups/substitutions of Powell have been wrong. What mystifies me is that he got it so right last season but he ihas been getting so wrong this season.

I never used the phrase unacceptable result. In both games like many others the tactics/line ups/substitutions of Powell have been wrong. What mystifies me is that he got it so right last season but he ihas been getting so wrong this season.
My view is that it isn't so mystifying when you factor in the injuries.

I again repeat, when we had a fullish team in late September/October, we won 5 out of 7. That's what he is about.

As many have said, what a boost to have players back from injury, the extra height of Kiernan and Lennon is a massive plus at both ends of the pitch. Interesting to hear different views on our tactics in the last fifteen minutes. You could say that shutting up shop is usually good game management but alternatively by doing that you are inviting pressure.

Surely it was a very costly point. SH is still waiting for the swelling to go down so he can have surgery. I would have rather lost 5-0 than lost SH for the season.

Even after he had gone off we never sat back and had several good chances to make it 2-0. Which means if you think everything revolves a round the manger (I don't) then he got it right.

Same as Cox had a great chance to seal the game today he didn't and they got lucky. That's not bad tactics or bad management.

The loss of Humphreys is a massive blow as was the loss of Hopper earlier on in the season. I understand that tactics or management didn't influence these loses. However it is a managers responsibility to be able to adjust to those losses either during a season or during a match. He has failed to do this in both cases. What frustrates me more than anything is not knowing why Powell was able to get his tactics right last season. However this season it's not.

My view is that it isn't so mystifying when you factor in the injuries.

I again repeat, when we had a fullish team in late September/October, we won 5 out of 7. That's what he is about.

Injuries, injuries, injuries... I accept that this is a factor. But it is not a reason. His tactics should be reflected in the players that are available.

Why’s everyone so negative - away from home we’ve lost just 2 in 7 games.
Now we’ve got some defenders back we should stop leaking goals at home as long as we get behind the team and not slag them off at any opportunity.

Many contributing factors to today's result. Great home following, terrible referee who lost the game in second half, parked way too deep last 15 minutes, no one up front to hold on to the ball to give us some respite and burn some time when Nunn came on. He just kept hoofing it up the pitch. Should have defended from the midfield.
Positives are. We played well enough and should have won. Kiernan, Hyam, Cox and Lennon all immense. Looked a great team spirit and passion so they all gave everything. COYB, we ARE staying up.
Also surely the league must do sommat about the pitch invasion before the final whistle blew??

Now we’ve got some defenders back we should stop leaking goals at home as long as we get behind the team and not slag them off at any opportunity.

Because unless we are two or three goals up, the defensive tactics later in every game mean we will be unlikely to pick up enough wins.

" Also surely the league must do sommat about the pitch invasion before the final whistle blew?? "

Doubt it, they didn't do anything when Grimsby supporters surrounded the pitch that time. Will they let them off with the flares, also seen at Accrington in the week? Can understand the very high emotions but can't be one rule for one club and another for others (like when flares were set-off at RH). There's also the possible 12 points deduction Shaun Harvey continues to fudge.

Just seen the Cox chance - shame he didn't stick that away! Anyway a point away from home - I would have taken that yesterday morning :-)

Had we conceded earlier on I don’t think people would’ve been so negative. But to concede in the 96th minute as half the Blackpool fans were leaving it has obviously angered a lot of people. On paper it’s a good away point but to be 10 seconds away from 3 points you can’t blame people for being negative.

Injuries, injuries, injuries... I accept that this is a factor. But it is not a reason. His tactics should be reflected in the players that are available.

Powell didn’t get the tactics wrong yesterday though. He got them absolutely spot on.

Once again, its poor errors/mistakes from our own players, which has cost us.

Blaming Powell for it, is just blaming him for the sake of it.

Back