• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Blackpool FC 2 - 2 Southend United

Tell who in your mind made the mistake for the second goal?

Moore.

He’s made a mistake by either; mistiming the header, misjudging the flight of the ball, not connecting properly or simply misjudging the direction he intended to aim for.

Desperately unlucky, but it’s a mistake that could have been avoided. Which as I’ve already mentioned, is a recurring theme atm. We’re our own worst enemy at times.

Cox also shoulders part of the blame. If he tucks away the third, then this conversation never happens.

The mistake that Powell made was to have too many defensive players on the pitch. Their obvious position would be in or around the penalty area. Is it any surprise that the ball comes off of one of those players.

It’s interesting, I’ve got a suspicious feeling that if Cox had tucked that one away at the end, and we subsequently claimed a 3-1 win, you wouldn’t have credited Powell for being the orchestrator.

Make it leading with 20 minutes or 10 minutes left the results are still the same.

You were the one who said look at the stats. I did. The stats say you are wrong.

I was stating facts based on dropping points...

Charlton 87th minute
Peterborough 87th minute
Coventry 91st minute
Barnsley 87th minute
Blackpool 83rd and 95th minute
Rochdale 87th minute

I make that 8 points in 7 games.

You seem to have overlooked this.

Moore.

He’s made a mistake by either; mistiming the header, misjudging the flight of the ball, not connecting properly or simply misjudging the direction he intended to aim for.

Desperately unlucky, but it’s a mistake that could have been avoided. Which as I’ve already mentioned, is a recurring theme atm. We’re our own worst enemy at times.

Cox also shoulders part of the blame. If he tucks away the third, then this conversation never happens.

It’s interesting, I’ve got a suspicious feeling that if Cox had tucked that one away at the end, and we subsequently claimed a 3-1 win, you wouldn’t have credited Powell for being the orchestrator.

Any extra 2 points would still have us looking over our shoulders at the teams behind us. Powell would not escape that lightly.. :Smile:

Any extra 2 points would still have us looking over our shoulders at the teams behind us. Powell would not escape that lightly.. :Smile:

As I thought, he’s damned if he does, and damned if he doesn’t.

I think it’s worth remembering, that at any given point of time, going away from home, to a play-off chasing team & getting a point, has to be considered a good result.

I know it felt like a loss yesterday, but it’s still a good point. Especially considering the majority of us didn’t think we’d even get that.

It’s very telling that Powell not only doesn’t get credit for that achievement, but is criticised for not doing more.

Last edited:
As I thought, he’s damned if he does, and damned if he doesn’t.

I think it’s worth remembering, that at any given point of time, going away from home, to a play-off chasing team & getting a point, has to be considered a good result.

I know it felt like a loss yesterday, but it’s still a good point. Especially considering the majority of us didn’t think we’d even get that.

It’s very telling that Powell not only doesn’t get credit for that achievement, but is criticised for not doing more.

Over my years of watching the Blues I base my opinion on what I witness on the pitch not based on an assumption of what the result should be based on our league position and that of our opposition.

The starting XI was a risk based on the game time that 3 of the players had played. However, give credit where credit is due it was paying off. I had some question marks over the bench and how they would be used if needed. My concerns were proved right.

Tell me what you think Powell achieved yesterday based on the performance and the 90 + minutes. I was very happy with the way we were playing up until the substitutions and how these changed our formation. Was you happy with everything just because we got a point that playing against a team in that position and with the circumstances involving the game we wouldn't have expected?

Charlton 87th minute
Peterborough 87th minute
Coventry 91st minute
Barnsley 87th minute
Rochdale 87th minute

In most of these games we were going for a win, for example we had 2 good chances just before Peterborough scored their winner. same with Charlton and Cov etc. Even in the first game v Donny we were all over them and fully attacking but found ourselves 3-0 down.

So really all it proves is we should have settled for a draw in these games because there is zero guarantee you win just because you attack but those extra points would see us safe.

Over my years of watching the Blues I base my opinion on what I witness on the pitch not based on an assumption of what the result should be based on our league position and that of our opposition.

The starting XI was a risk based on the game time that 3 of the players had played. However, give credit where credit is due it was paying off. I had some question marks over the bench and how they would be used if needed. My concerns were proved right.

Tell me what you think Powell achieved yesterday based on the performance and the 90 + minutes. I was very happy with the way we were playing up until the substitutions and how these changed our formation. Was you happy with everything just because we got a point that playing against a team in that position and with the circumstances involving the game we wouldn't have expected?

If he had made no subs or even listened to all the wise people on here and bought on the likes of Kightly. We may well have conceded 2 goals and ended up with no points.

We are now heading down the same road as PB and PS before him. From now on some of you will be desperate for CP to fail, in order to be proved right......Turns out the 'cleans sheets' PB mantra wasn't such a bad option after all....But most of you knew better and could sign the young hungry stars that would send us storming into the Championship, when in reality survival in L1 is our only target.

In most of these games we were going for a win, for example we had 2 good chances just before Peterborough scored their winner. same with Charlton and Cov etc. Even in the first game v Donny we were all over them and fully attacking but found ourselves 3-0 down.

So really all it proves is we should have settled for a draw in these games because there is zero guarantee you win just because you attack but those extra points would see us safe.

You've got a point against Peterborough, the others, sorry I don't agree. You mention Charlton and Cov, in both of those games we equalised and then sat back waiting for the inevitable winner from the opposition. We certainly weren't on the front foot pushing for a winner in either game.

Edit - against Barnsley TBF we were going for the equaliser too. The others, Rochdale and the two Blackpool games we were again sitting back, IMO we've dropped too many points (I make it 5) through 'parking the bus' and hoping for the best. It just hasn't worked, why keep doing it?

Last edited:

I see. You’re perfectly entitled to form your opinion however you choose. I’m not knocking you for it.

I simply disagree though.

For hypothetics sake, If we play the free-scoring league leaders, away from home & manage a draw, I’ll always acknowledge that, as a good point. Regardless if we’ve battered them or not.

No, I was as gutted as anyone that we fumbled the full 3 points.

There’s nothing about it that made me happy. However, I’m putting that emotion to one side & I’m trying to focus on some of the positives.

Unfortunately, there is a culture that surrounds this football club atm, which looks to apportion blame at the drop of a hat, and normally without any rationale at all:

- Players get injured, blame Chris Powell’s training methods
- Youth Players not ready for this league: blame Chris Powell’s man management skills
- Players out of form, blame Chris Powell’s touchline demeanour
- Players making schoolboy errors during games, definitely Chris Powell’s fault.

What did he achieve yesterday? He took a ramshackle team to a tough ground, against a half-decent side & set up a system that could and should have earned us three points.

Again, If Cox had finished his chance, we wouldn’t be having this discussion. If the ball had come off Moore’s head, a few millimetres to the left, then we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

That’s the razor thin margins that we’re dealing with atm. We came literally millimetres away from congratulating Powell on an excellent game-plan, which was executed to perfection.

Like I said, I fully understand it is/was hard to take. One of those rare times that a draw, actually feels like a loss. But If offered, would you have taken a point before the game?

In the greater scheme of things, whilst it’s disappointing as ****, to not take all three, it’s still a point nearer safety.

Hey Mac you can all the play you want but if you cant score goals you aint gonna win, Southend scored 3 goals off the 4 .

Charlton 87th minute
Peterborough 87th minute
Coventry 91st minute
Barnsley 87th minute
Rochdale 87th minute

Are you arguing that we lost those matches we were drawing because Powell didn’t employ the tactics you are criticising him for employing yesterday?

Amazing scenes at Bloomfield Road at their homecoming before the Blackpool FC v Southend United game.
Well done Blackpool fans. :Clap:

Moore.

Hmm, some philosophy for Monday morning... can something be unlucky and someone’s fault simultaneously?

And yeah, people would not credit Powell with the goal. and ALSO - if he hadn’t gone backs to the wall and we didn’t win, the same people questioning it would be the same ones saying we should’ve done it. ?

I see. You’re perfectly entitled to form your opinion however you choose. I’m not knocking you for it.

I simply disagree though.

For hypothetics sake, If we play the free-scoring league leaders, away from home & manage a draw, I’ll always acknowledge that, as a good point. Regardless if we’ve battered them or not.

No, I was as gutted as anyone that we fumbled the full 3 points.

There’s nothing about it that made me happy. However, I’m putting that emotion to one side & I’m trying to focus on some of the positives.

Unfortunately, there is a culture that surrounds this football club atm, which looks to apportion blame at the drop of a hat, and normally without any rationale at all:

- Players get injured, blame Chris Powell’s training methods
- Youth Players not ready for this league: blame Chris Powell’s man management skills
- Players out of form, blame Chris Powell’s touchline demeanour
- Players making schoolboy errors during games, definitely Chris Powell’s fault.

What did he achieve yesterday? He took a ramshackle team to a tough ground, against a half-decent side & set up a system that could and should have earned us three points.

Again, If Cox had finished his chance, we wouldn’t be having this discussion. If the ball had come off Moore’s head, a few millimetres to the left, then we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

That’s the razor thin margins that we’re dealing with atm. We came literally millimetres away from congratulating Powell on an excellent game-plan, which was executed to perfection.

Like I said, I fully understand it is/was hard to take. One of those rare times that a draw, actually feels like a loss. But If offered, would you have taken a point before the game?

In the greater scheme of things, whilst it’s disappointing as ****, to not take all three, it’s still a point nearer safety.

I agree with the vast majority of your post and have never knocked SCP for the reasons you list.

My only complaint is that when we are doing well we should continue to play the way we are playing - not go ultra defensive.

It didn’t’ work for Sturrock, it didn’t work for Brown and it doesn’t work for SCP because we are not good enough to defend that way.

I agree with the vast majority of your post and have never knocked SCP for the reasons you list.

My only complaint is that when we are doing well we should continue to play the way we are playing - not go ultra defensive.

It didn’t’ work for Sturrock, it didn’t work for Brown and it doesn’t work for SCP because we are not good enough to defend that way.

I can’t disagree with that sentiment.

FWIW, I also hate to see us go defensive, and have always thought that keeping an attacking mentality was the best form of defence.

I understand why Powell did it though. And to a point, it actually worked. We’ve got to remember that Blackpool didn’t break us down. Once again, It was a disastrous error from one of our own, which has cost us (possibly two if you count Cox’s miss at the end)

I know you are anti manager but it did work. You cant win anything in football if you cant defend. The reason we were promoted is because we were hard to beat. Just because you have to defend, especially in the last 10 doesn't mean you have deliberately sat back. As often claimed on here.

Even Barcelona at the height of their pomp, had the best defence. The best 3 defences in our league are Luton Barnsley and Sunderland. They just happen to be the top 3.

CP has lost his first choice back 5 this season. Yes that includes Oxley, I love Bishops attitude but Oxley is still ahead of him and would have been slated for some of those near post goals. With Demetriou about to return we can deal with the defensive elephant in the room....Elvis.

We wont be seeing Coker but at least now have the options of Lennon and Kiernan, so we will be much stronger for the last 10 games.

As for 2 up front etc. Its quite clear if CP had not lost Hopper and then Humphry we would have always had 2 up top. With Cox on 15, Hopper had already equalled his previous season with Scunny and SH was taken out scoring his 4th.....that means if CP had the fire power upfront and some muscle at the back we would be easily top 10.

Last edited:
I know you are anti manager but it did work. You cant win anything in football if you cant defend. The reason we were promoted is because we were hard to beat. Just because you have to defend, especially in the last 10 doesn't mean you have deliberately sat back. As often claimed on here.

Even Barcelona at the height of their pomp, had the best defence. The best 3 defences in our league are Luton Barnsley and Sunderland. They just happen to be the top 3.

CP has lost his first choice back 5 this season. Yes that includes Oxley, I love Bishops attitude but Oxley is still ahead of him and would have been slated for some of those near post goals. With Demetriou about to return we can deal with the defensive elephant in the room....Elvis.

We wont be seeing Coker but at least now have the options of Lennon and Kiernan, so we will be much stronger for the last 10 games.

As for 2 up front etc. Its quite clear if CP had not lost Hopper and then Humphry we would have always had 2 up top. With Cox on 15, Hopper had already equalled his previous season with Scunny and SH was taken out scoring his 4th.....that means if CP had the fire power upfront and some muscle at the back we would be easily top 10.

Agree with all that.

As for the part I’ve highligted, I think it’s fair to say that we all had high aspirations going into this season, especially off of the back of last season and how well we finished.

But that’s been totally derailed, and it’s been hard to accept.

The reasons for that derailment, are all interconnected and far more complex than is often touted on here.

It’s also basic human nature, that people need to be able to point the finger and say; that’s the reason why. Which IMO, is simply misplaced anger/frustration.

The reasons for that derailment, are all interconnected and far more complex than is often touted on here.

It’s also basic human nature, that people need to be able to point the finger and say; that’s the reason why. Which IMO, is simply misplaced anger/frustration.

Sadly when that ends up with the atmosphere at some home games you may well have the answer as to why we have won more points away from home.

Back