• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Blackpool FC 2 - 2 Southend United

I'm not sure why we made subs that meant so many positional changes. I'm not saying that's what ultimately cost us but had we made like for like changes we might have kept hold of the points. So frustrated and disappointing.

3 points above relegation now...that trapdoor is looming large....

I'm not sure why we made subs that meant so many positional changes. I'm not saying that's what ultimately cost us but had we made like for like changes we might have kept hold of the points. So frustrated and disappointing.
They barely made a chance after those changes. In fact, I don't remember any, including the goal. We were unlucky at the end there.

Finished the game with 7 outfield defenders and 2 defensive midfielders on the pitch. How many more points do we throw away before Powell realises we cannot hold onto a win?

Glad for Kiernan, that’s about the only positive.

We are dangerously close to that bottom 4 and we are heading one way ...

Someone explain the formation to me that we ended the game with

4 centre backs
2 right backs
1 left back
0 striker

What are you trying to do?

That is absolutely ludicrous

4 centre backs
2 right backs
1 left back
0 striker

Limit their attempts on goal, which we did well. I don't like to trust my memory so just scanned Chris Phillips' Twitter reports during the game. It confirms they managed just one 25 yard strike on our goal after the subs. We shut up shop perfectly well - a huge bit of misfortune means we were not rewarded.

Only listening on the radio but it sounds like Blackpool had plenty of chances in the first half whereas they barely had a sniff at goal once the subs were made. It annoys me when we go defensive despite not being under pressure but when we're under the cosh sometimes you do need to be cautious.

If it wasn't for what sounds an extremely unlucky own goal everyone would be praising Powell for figuring out how to nullify Blackpool's attack and see out the game, but since we conceded apparently it was the wrong thing to do, despite that being their only chance to score after the subs were made.

4 centre backs
2 right backs
1 left back
0 striker

Stopping them from scoring? Then break and finish the game with a good one-on-one?

Scant conciliation, but one positive to take from this, is we’ve gained a point away, against a team who are still in with a shout for the play-offs, in what was always going to be a difficult environment/atmosphere.

We can (and inevitably will) complain about formations, substitutions etc etc, but the truth is we’ve just got unlucky today. If Cox finishes his chance at the end, we’re all happy, and feeling positive going into the remaining fixtures. That’s the margins we’re talking about.

As I said in the other thread, it’s a point we would have welcomed before the start of today. However it still feels like a loss atm.

It feels like a loss but hopefully the performance today will dial back some of the doom and gloom that's been on here in the last week.

Ultimately in our 8 match winless run we've played 5 of the top 6, and I think most would have expected us to not win those matches. Then we've got 2 draws against Blackpool and Accrington that on another day we would have won. The only really bad result was losing to Bristol Rovers, although Coughlan seems to have worked a miracle to turn their season around.

I think the winless run has made people panic more than is needed, we've had a tough run of fixtures but the performances against Blackpool and Accrington have shown that we can compete against teams outside the top 6, and as long as we can keep those performances up for the rest of the season we'll be comfortably clear of relegation come the end of the season.

Limit their attempts on goal, which we did well. I don't like to trust my memory so just scanned Chris Phillips' Twitter reports during the game. It confirms they managed just one 25 yard strike on our goal after the subs. - a huge bit of misfortune means we were not rewarded.
Limit their attempts on goal, which we did well. I don't like to trust my memory so just scanned Chris Phillips' Twitter reports during the game. It confirms they managed just one 25 yard strike on our goal after the subs. We shut up shop perfectly well - a huge bit of misfortune means we were not rewarded.

We conceded with 7 defenders on the pitch. I wouldn’t call that shutting up shop well

Own goal was in the 6th minute of the additional 5.

A Chris Phillips tweet!

"The referee appeared to put the whistle to his mouth in the build up to Blackpool's late equaliser but allowed play to continue down the left hand side."

Only listening on the radio but it sounds like Blackpool had plenty of chances in the first half whereas they barely had a sniff at goal once the subs were made. It annoys me when we go defensive despite not being under pressure but when we're under the cosh sometimes you do need to be cautious.

If it wasn't for what sounds an extremely unlucky own goal everyone would be praising Powell for figuring out how to nullify Blackpool's attack and see out the game, but since we conceded apparently it was the wrong thing to do, despite that being their only chance to score after the subs were made.

I agree that changes should be made proactively. I highlighted that in the match thread with @Cricko but we're not a confident enough side to switch the game plan so freely. How often does going defensive actually work for us, especially this season?

It's rare for me to criticise, but this is a turning point in my season.

It's easy to criticise in hindsight but shutting up shop at the time appeared to be working well until the very last second of the match.

Given our injury problems and the lack of options going forward I didn't expect us to get a point against a Blackpool side that we ran in to at the worst possible time. It's a good point, despite us in the end being gutted not to have 3.

Am in a very foul mood!

Trying to stay off the beer - failed
Trying to get on with the wife - failing

Bloody football!

Back