• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Blackpool FC v Southend United

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the eighteenth away game of the 2018/19 season and the 28th away game since Chris Powell’s return and time in charge at the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our eighteenth away match is against Blackpool

SkyBet League One.jpg
image.pngVS.pngSUFC.jpg

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are at Bloomfield Road, listening on the radio, or watching on ifollow.

Chris Powell's 18th Southend United League One Away Team of the 2018/19

D1OK2QyWsAAZxB6.jpg

Southend United will be playing in their Sky Blue away kit today

D1N9ZAeWoAEPl0O.jpg

Bloomfield Road, is ready for action at 3.00pm Saturday 9th March 2019, it looks like we are going to have sunny intervals with a fresh sea breeze making it feel cold for the game this afternoon.

D1N9ZAeWwAAZwT-.jpg

The weather forecast for day at Bloomfield Road

Blackpool v SUFC Weather.png

Chris Powell’s current away record after 27 games

Won 10
Drawn 6
Lost 11
Goals scored 30
Goals conceded 32

League Positions Last Season

10th (2017/18) League One Southend United
12th (2017/18) League One Blackpool

League Positions Current Season

8th (2018/19 Season) Blackpool
13th (2018/19 Season) Southend United

Recent League Positions Change

Blackpool v SUFC Positions.png

Previous five Meetings

Southend United 1-2 Blackpool (L1 17/11/18 Att. 6,882)
Blackpool 1-1 Southend United (L1 17/03/18 Att. 3,213)
Southend United 2-1 Blackpool (L1 30/09/17 Att. 6,688)
Blackpool 2-0 Southend United (L1 02/04/16 Att. 6,979)
Southend United 1-0 Blackpool (L1 21/11/15 Att. 6,290)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 10
Draws: 3
Blackpool: 12

Special Note:
Today Blackpool Football Club will pays its respects to all those supporters and former players no longer with us.

There will be a laying of wreaths at 2.50pm and then a minute's silence prior to kick-off.

Untitled.png

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Managers Pre-Match views

Blackpool

Blackpool Manager Terry McPhillips talks to the Blackpool OS before the game

Manager Terry McPhillips hopes that Blackpool’s homecoming fixture against Southend United represents the start of a bright and tangerine future for the club.

Some 15,000 home fans are set to pack out Bloomfield Road for the fixture, as a new chapter opens under a new Board of Directors.

For many supporters, stepping foot back through the turnstiles tomorrow will be the first time they’ve returned to the stadium for many years.

“People have been telling me it has been four years of hurt for them and some have been telling me it’s five years of hurt, or six years. Everybody has got their different stories,” McPhillips said.

“I’d ask for everybody now to unite together – the fans that have stayed away, the fans that have been coming, the players, the staff, the whole football club – for the run in and Saturday. It’s going to be an occasion and I hope we can inspire each other to get the wins.”

An example of that inspiration from the crowd came at Accrington Stanley in midweek, when 1,800 Blackpool fans roared the team on to victory and highlighted what passionate, vocal support to expect from here on in.

“It was great to see the fans at Accrington and that gives you great hope now with this big game on Saturday coming up that the future’s bright and the future’s tangerine.”

Southend United will clearly want to spoil the homecoming though by picking up points for their own ambitions, with the manager expecting a tight encounter.

“They’ve got a really good goalscorer in Simon Cox who is in good form and they’ve got good players,” he admitted.

“There’s nothing in most of the games, it’s small margins, and I just hope it’s one we can shade. Hopefully we can put on a show and get the three points.”

Full text can be found here:-

https://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/news/2019/march/mcphillips-bright-and-tangerine-future/

Southend United

Chris Powell talks to Chris Phillips at the ECHO before the game

Southend United manager Chris Powell wants his side to be party poopers at Blackpool tomorrow.

The hosts are expected to be roared on by a close to capacity crowd at Bloomfield Road following the departure of the controversial Oyston family who had previously been in control of the club.

But Powell is desperate for Blues to end their seven-match winless streak.

“We’re going there to try and spoil the party,” said Powell.

“Everyone wants to play in packed stadiums and in good atmospheres.

“That’s what it will be like tomorrow and we’ll have to deal with that.

“We need a performance but I think we have the eighth best record on the road.

“It’s within us and it’s what we need to do again right now.”

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/1...uthend-united-to-poop-the-party-at-blackpool/

Team News

Southend United manager Chris Powell is keen to add more experience to his side at Blackpool tomorrow - but he remains unsure who will be fit enough to start.

Right-back Jason Demetriou is back in contention after recovering from the knee injury he sustained in November while centre-backs Harry Lennon and Rob Kiernan are also pushing for places.

Lennon has not started for the Shrimpers since breaking his leg in October while Kiernan has not played a first team fixture since suffering knee problems in August 2017.

But Powell is not sure how much of a part the fit-again trio will be able to play at Bloomfield Road.

“They’re all training but they’re all lacking minutes,” said Powell.

“It’s the case of needs must at the moment but I can’t keep waiting for them.

“However, will they last the 90 minutes? That’s the issue.”

Demetriou has not been selected in a matchday squad since lining up against Scunthorpe United in November.

And Powell is pleased to see the 31-year-old back to full fitness.

“Jason Demetriou has trained and I’m hoping he will be able to be in the 18,” said Powell.

“He hasn’t played for three months but I like Jason and we’re a stronger team and squad with him in it.

“He has a good attitude and experience so it’s great to see him back out there.”

Demetriou will now put pressure on Elvis Bwomono for a place in the starting line-up.

But Powell has other factors to consider.

“I know people will say use your experience but it’s a heavy pitch at Blackpool and it will be tough physically and mentally as well,” said the Blues boss.

“I’ve been asking young players to step up and they have done but they’re learning on the job. They’re going through experiences they wouldn’t normally have at their age and we need as many experienced players out there as possible to see us through.”

However, Blues will still be without defender John White for tomorrow’s clash.

“John White is ill,” said Powell.

“He’s suffering with a virus.

“He’s away from the boys and won’t be ready for this weekend.

“Whether or not he will be for Tuesday’s game at Scunthorpe we’ll have to wait and see.”

White has missed Blues’ last three matches after suffering a groin problem during the 3-0 defeat at Doncaster Rovers in mid-February.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/17486381.southend-united-manager-chris-powell-must-decide-if-trio-are-fit-to-start-at-blackpool/

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Great to see players back from injury and Kelman getting a first league start... But! Turner ahead of Moore? Really Chris!?

Moore might be injured or carrying a knock?

Good to see Kiernan back, 574 days. Well done Rob!

Kelman starting, interesting.

Blues make four changes at Bloomfield Road with Kiernan, Lennon, Hyam and Kelman coming in.

Rob Kiernan's first start since August 2017.

It's worrying having the 2 back from injury put in for this match as I remember how physical Blackpool were at Roots Hall. I also remember them going down easily and bitching and moaning too much! Oh and our terrible defending!

Have Blackpool got a couple of big lumps upfront or something? That’s the only reason I can think he would pick Turner over Moore, for the height advantage, unless he has a slight knock.

If neither of those two reasons apply then what the **** is CP doing?!

Their huge front line battered our defence earlier in the season. Maybe that's why Turner is ahead of Moore. Purely for height reasons.

That said, Turner can't jump! He is better in the middle of a back 3 though. Let's hope that is the case anyway.

Mrs McLaughlin is in labour and expecting any moment Due to this, Macca hasn’t travelled and isn’t involved against Blackpool today.

Blackpool's 2 strikers are giants apparently, Turner might have got in ahead of Moore because he's less likely to get outmuscled. Hopefully with 2 centre backs to cover him Turner's major weakness (his lack of pace) won't be as easy to exploit.

Didn't Turner get sent off against them? Not showing he can cope against them!

Back