• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
League matches against Blackpool are nicely balanced at 8 wins each with just a couple of draws. However we have beaten them in 5 out of our last 6 home matches against them.

Saturday's referee will be John Edmund C. Brooks from Asfordby, near Melton Mowbray. He was the youngest referee on the League list last year in his debut season and may well still be.

He is therefore in his second season and has already refereed Southend twice.

Firstly, he refereed our away shocker at Scunthorpe last season, a 4-0 defeat and yellows for Sokolik, Atkinson and Leonard (and 2 of theirs).

Next came the home 2-2 draw against Northampton last February which left "Frustrated Phil pointing finger at referee following Cobblers' draw". Not that bad, although Coker was perhaps unlucky to be cautioned, Demetriou less so. Also four of theirs in the book.

Before his promotion to League status he had been a Premiership Assistant Referee for a number of years, usually lining to Mike Dean and did the FA Cup Final line in 2014 and got his FIFA Assistant Referees badge a year later.

Also he did the pre-season friendly at Roots Hall against Colchester last year. He also refereed the Grimsby v Braintree play-off match at the end of the season before last. He did fine in the friendly, although friendlies are no yardstick by which to judge referees. He also did very well in that Braintree match.

His card count is on the high side with last season's totals at 150 yellows and 10 reds from 36 games and this season is similar with 39 yellows and 2 reds from 10 games.

Despite his high card count, he seems to be getting a reasonable amount of acclaim for a new referee and was given the televised League Cup tie between Colchester and Villa.

Assisting will be Nicholas Cooper from Ipswich who performed the same role in that Northampton game last season and newly promoted Gregory Read from Addlestone, in the district of Runnymede, will be making his Roots Hall debut in front of the West Stand. Fourth Official is Andrew Aylott from Kempston in Bedfordshire (which was noted for being the largest village in England until they made it a town). You don't get this sort of stuff on the club's Refwatch !!

You don't get this sort of stuff on the club's Refwatch !!

In fact, let's see what you do get :

"Saturday’s home game against Blackpool will be refereed by John Brooks...

Last season Brooks brandished 150 yellow cards and 10 red cards.

Saturday will be Horwood’s third Southend game that he will officiate. His last Southend game came when Blues hosted Northampton Town in League One on 18th February last season which saw him brandish six yellow cards in the game with two cards going to Blues players who were Ben Coker and Jason Demetriou.

He started his refereeing career in the Football Conference just three years ago. His first game came on 16th August 2014 when Braintree lost 3-1 to Chester in a League game. Since then he has gone on to referee in League One with his most recent game coming on 26th September when Shrewsbury beat Doncaster 2-1 away.

Throughout his three-year career he has shown 304 yellow cards and 15 red cards
."

Nice picture though.

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2017/september/ref-watch-blackpool/

Whoever the ref is he will come out pre-match with his flag-waving pals and proceed to warm-up in the middle of and disturbing both teams crossing and passing drills as if they were the ones we paid to watch. Then when despite all the running and stretching as soon as they are called on to make the first big decision they will be yards off the pace and Roots Hall will echo to the sound of their collective back-sides crashing to the floor and they completely bottle it.

Whoever the ref is he will come out pre-match with his flag-waving pals and proceed to warm-up in the middle of and disturbing both teams crossing and passing drills as if they were the ones we paid to watch.

Worth remembering that without their attempts to control two teams hell bent on winning at all costs and certainly not stopping short of cheating, there would be no football for you to pay to watch.

Whoever the ref is he will come out pre-match with his flag-waving pals and proceed to warm-up in the middle of and disturbing both teams crossing and passing drills as if they were the ones we paid to watch. Then when despite all the running and stretching as soon as they are called on to make the first big decision they will be yards off the pace and Roots Hall will echo to the sound of their collective back-sides crashing to the floor and they completely bottle it.

You do realise a ref doesn't need to be right on top of an incident to see it, unless he has myopia of the worst kind?

You do realise a ref doesn't need to be right on top of an incident to see it, unless he has myopia of the worst kind?

That's right - I call all decisions 100% correctly from my seat in the West Stand!

Odd ref performance, sometimes excellent with great positioning and close to the play, also spoke well with all the players and warned Bowyer for trying to get Len a 2nd card BUT then some very odd decisions; for example near the end when Theo had the ball in the corner and a few players on him he gave 'Pool a foul, or a couple of fouls against Nile that were at worst 50/50 if not fouls on Nile. Yellow for Len was harsh too.

We won so he can't have been too bad!:unsure:

Odd ref performance, sometimes excellent with great positioning and close to the play, also spoke well with all the players and warned Bowyer for trying to get Len a 2nd card BUT then some very odd decisions; for example near the end when Theo had the ball in the corner and a few players on him he gave 'Pool a foul, or a couple of fouls against Nile that were at worst 50/50 if not fouls on Nile. Yellow for Len was harsh too.

We won so he can't have been too bad!:unsure:

Overall I didn't think he was bad, though I agree the yellow for Lenny was harsh; it was a definately pen though. That Theo one in the corner though was an unbelievably bad decision!

Missed a blatant hand ball by a Blackpool defender right if front of us in W that stopped an attack.
To be fair, as it was the defenders right hand and the ref was in field then he may have been unsighted but couldn't for the life of me see how the lino on that side missed it.

Missed a blatant hand ball by a Blackpool defender right if front of us in W that stopped an attack.
To be fair, as it was the defenders right hand and the ref was in field then he may have been unsighted but couldn't for the life of me see how the lino on that side missed it.

I'm absolutely convinced the lino didn't miss it, but for some unfathomable reason he chose not to flag for it. His whole body language immediately after said 'I saw it, but I'm pretending I didn't'. Probably didn't help that the West around me were telling him politely what a myopic follically challenged assistant referee he was.

I liked the way he spoke to the Blackpool manager after he suggested Lenny needed to be sent off after his booking for a rather lame foul and told him to keep his unsportmanlike comments to himself and that he'd make the decisions.

I'm absolutely convinced the lino didn't miss it, but for some unfathomable reason he chose not to flag for it. His whole body language immediately after said 'I saw it, but I'm pretending I didn't'. Probably didn't help that the West around me were telling him politely what a myopic follically challenged assistant referee he was.

Well, they certainly weren't wrong about him being myopic. :thumbsup:

He was OK compared with some of the absolute shockers we have had- normally at Gillingham

Back