• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
In 1979 a blacks v whites football match was played.

BBC

Have a look at who played in the blacks team.

Whites v Blacks football game.

Can I recommend a really interesting program called The Whites v The Blacks. (how football changed the nation)

It's on BBC I player

or on BBC catch up.

The extra interest for Southend fans is that it was played I believe in 1979 and Ian Benjamin played for the black team.

It's really interesting to remember how the black players at the time were treated by the fans and I have to hold my hands up to joining in the monkey chants. I wish I could go back and change a lot of things in my life and that would surely be one of them.

I would be interested to hear from other Shrimpers who were around in the 70s and try to get their honest memories of the racial atmosphere in football as they remember it.

My feeling about this,FWIW, (and I was certainly around in the 70's), is that fans stop booing black players when one of their own better players is black.

Once Richard Cadette started playing (and scoring for us,2 on his debut IIRC) ,it was rare for Blues fans to get involved in any monkey chants, etc.

Likewise, when the great Thomas N'Kono (remember him playing for Cameron against Lineker et al back in Italia 1990?) turned out in goal regularly for Espanyol in the 80's,the booing of opposition black players noticeably declined.

Cadette scored 4 goals on his debut against Orient , just days after leaving them for us .

Cadette remains my favourite all time Southend player , just ahead of Benjamin , Ansah + Otto.

Whilst vaguely on the race subject , have we ever had any oriental players ? i cant think of any .... although we did sign Bombhead from a J league team !!!!

oh - Wheres Dan Matzuzaki from ?

Cadette scored 4 goals on his debut against Orient , just days after leaving them for us .

Cadette remains my favourite all time Southend player , just ahead of Benjamin , Ansah + Otto.

Whilst vaguely on the race subject , have we ever had any oriental players ? i cant think of any .... although we did sign Bombhead from a J league team !!!!

My bad.I was at the game.Just couldn't remember how many he scored.:facepalm:

Wasn't it his home debut? I seem to remember he came on as a substitute in an away game a few days earlier.

My bad.I was at the game.Just couldn't remember how many he scored.:facepalm:

I was at the game too. It was amazing.

Can I recommend a really interesting program called The Whites v The Blacks. (how football changed the nation)

It's on BBC I player

or on BBC catch up.

The extra interest for Southend fans is that it was played I believe in 1979 and Ian Benjamin played for the black team.

It's really interesting to remember how the black players at the time were treated by the fans and I have to hold my hands up to joining in the monkey chants. I wish I could go back and change a lot of things in my life and that would surely be one of them.

I would be interested to hear from other Shrimpers who were around in the 70s and try to get their honest memories of the racial atmosphere in football as they remember it.

I remember back in 1970 Southend played a team called Accra Heart Of Oaks who Southend beat 5-1 and they were all black players and most of them had big quiffs on there heads . The first time that I saw any racism at Roots Hall was a FA Cup tie against Cardiff City in 1976 when someone in the North Bank threw a banana at the Cardiff player Clive Charles

Back