• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyone who slates, insults, boos etc. one of their own players is NOT a true fan, it is without doubt the most destructive act you can commit against what you claim to be "your club", if you do it then you're a ****, simples.

Edit - I mean at a match, what you say about them on SZ or in the pub is fair enough but while the game is going on the only thing coming out of your gob should be encouragement.
i would never waste my energy shout out at blair, its just i watched him last year and made notes of completed passes and incompete, lets just say over the 10 games i made notes completed was not high on the list. i was surprised we resigned him but i think we all know why.

maybe, but he was still hardly prolific, and by your statement you'd imagine a manager would pick one of the many higher scoring forwards instead.
the difference with hesky is he game more to the game, i just dont see that in blair. link up play is not very good, he has trouble passing to a blue shirt, heading the ball is very poor, I have chatted to scouts about him and 99% thing the same thing he his good for the bench.

Brechin City 3rd
Plymouth 1st promoted, 8th, 1st promoted
Kidderminster 23rd relegated
Rochdale 14th
Swindon 3rd promoted, 13th, 15th (but out on loan twice)
Bournemouth 21st (17 points deducted, would have been 10th without the points deduction)
Torquay 4th promoted
Mansfield 9th
Southend 13th

So a quick look suggests that'll be four promoted teams he has played for and one relegated team.

Ignoring the points deduction at Bournemouth, that's eight top half finishes and only one lower than 15th.

Brechin City 3rd
Plymouth 1st promoted, 8th, 1st promoted
Kidderminster 23rd relegated
Rochdale 14th
Swindon 3rd promoted, 13th, 15th (but out on loan twice)
Bournemouth 21st (17 points deducted, would have been 10th without the points deduction)
Torquay 4th promoted
Mansfield 9th
Southend 13th

So a quick look suggests that'll be four promoted teams he has played for and one relegated team.

Ignoring the points deduction at Bournemouth, that's eight top half finishes and only one lower than 15th.
yes i did see that but he could of been on the bench for the promoted sides, its goals against played, he has never scored more than 6 goals for a striker thats poor, adam barret scored 6 in 2006- 2007, its just a poor return for a striker

i would never waste my energy shout out at blair, its just i watched him last year and made notes of completed passes and incompete, lets just say over the 10 games i made notes completed was not high on the list. i was surprised we resigned him but i think we all know why.

Do you like trains too ?

yes i did see that but he could of been on the bench for the promoted sides, its goals against played, he has never scored more than 6 goals for a striker thats poor, adam barret scored 6 in 2006- 2007, its just a poor return for a striker

The point we're trying to make is he's not a striker, he's a forward playing footballer. Ok, he's in a position that one would usually associate with goal scoring, but if he brings something else to the team that outweighs the lack of goals then what's the problem? The idea that someone plays up front ergo they must score goals is tactically rigid. if they're creating goals for others, or preventing the opposition scoring, or contributing in a large part to either of these then he's doing his job

Do you like trains too ?

its just when i look at a player i like to have facts, I have a father thats a ex ref and many friends that scout or have played for southend or both in some cases.
you look at the game a different way from supporter, yesterday second half the midfield dropped to far back, so Northampton started to boss the game more, thats the time to make a change, we didn't and end up drawing a game we should have won, i watch the 18 yearolds plaay on or two should be given a place on the bench or even 5 mins

Let's get this right: his appearances for the promoted sides don't count because he might have just been coming off of the bench and therefore might not have been on the pitch very long, but his sub appearances do count if he isn't on the pitch very long when looking out how many goals per games he scores?

The point we're trying to make is he's not a striker, he's a forward playing footballer. Ok, he's in a position that one would usually associate with goal scoring, but if he brings something else to the team that outweighs the lack of goals then what's the problem? The idea that someone plays up front ergo they must score goals is tactically rigid. if they're creating goals for others, or preventing the opposition scoring, or contributing in a large part to either of these then he's doing his job
yes your right, couldn't agree more. just one small point (but if he brings something else to the team ) he doesn't. he is also a striker, one that has two left feet and a 50 pence head.

Let's get this right: his appearances for the promoted sides don't count because he might have just been coming off of the bench and therefore might not have been on the pitch very long, but his sub appearances do count if he isn't on the pitch very long when looking out how many goals per games he scores?
no, no you qouted the promoted sides and your right on how many got promoted but look at the amout of games he played at that time and goals he scored.

its been fun, i have some more football video's to watch and feed back player info by tommorow.
if you think he is a good asset to the team then thats ok, i was just pointing out some facts, would i sign him? No.
but thats my opinion.

We resigned him because of performances like yesterday - he is a decent player at this level - people slate him because he is the managers son and it's rather pathetic. Very short memories some folk, we had no players when PS took over - his son was available so was signed. If you ask me, the manager is going to have a selection headache up front soon with Corr, Dickinson, Harris and Blair all looking for starts - after yesterday I wager Blair just might get the nod.

We resigned him because of performances like yesterday - he is a decent player at this level - people slate him because he is the managers son and it's rather pathetic. Very short memories some folk, we had no players when PS took over - his son was available so was signed. If you ask me, the manager is going to have a selection headache up front soon with Corr, Dickinson, Harris and Blair all looking for starts - after yesterday I wager Blair just might get the nod.

What ever your opinion of him that comment is 100% wrong.

First i do not agree with any fans abusing any players especially our own they should at all times be supported.
When Blair plays he often does his best work coming deep rather like an extra midfield player but without any real responsibilties ,opposing defenders do not mark so tight in that zone and so he gets more time there allowing him to cherry pick a pass facing his own goal, also he does not have the pace to play a pass and attack space behind the defenders to cause any damage.
I personally do not feel that when he is in or around the 18 yard box where the space is cut down to zero and defenders are not going to give you time to count the panels on the ball before passing or shooting that he is very effective .
As a forward this is the zone where it all counts the most along with hitting the back of the net.
Asante has more pace in this zone and would be more threatening,he lacks a little with his first touch but has the potential if given the chance to play to panic a few defences (harder to defend pace)and can score goals.
Having said that Harris has not set the world alight since his arrival and expect a lot more from him in the future as at the moment his reputation is just not enough.
Would i pick Blair.. no because he has to drop to deep and is to negative for me sorry but thats how i see .

First i do not agree with any fans abusing any players especially our own they should at all times be supported.
When Blair plays he often does his best work coming deep rather like an extra midfield player but without any real responsibilties ,opposing defenders do not mark so tight in that zone and so he gets more time there allowing him to cherry pick a pass facing his own goal, also he does not have the pace to play a pass and attack space behind the defenders to cause any damage.
I personally do not feel that when he is in or around the 18 yard box where the space is cut down to zero and defenders are not going to give you time to count the panels on the ball before passing or shooting that he is very effective .
As a forward this is the zone where it all counts the most along with hitting the back of the net.
Asante has more pace in this zone and would be more threatening,he lacks a little with his first touch but has the potential if given the chance to play to panic a few defences (harder to defend pace)and can score goals.
Having said that Harris has not set the world alight since his arrival and expect a lot more from him in the future as at the moment his reputation is just not enough.
Would i pick Blair.. no because he has to drop to deep and is to negative for me sorry but thats how i see .

This is a proper reply, and argument why you don't rate Blair. It's fair enough!

What Saturday proved was how useful Blair remains as a squad player. It's clear Dickinson was brought in as an upgrade - i.e. someone with similar intelligence but with the addition of a goal threat, and obviously when Corr comes back Blair will be number four in the pecking order, but he's still a great option to have, particularly as an outlet when we're under pressure.

I dare say we played the best football of the season on Saturday (I didn't see the Accrington or Port Vale games), and Blair played his part as the link man in the pockets between midfield and attack, always making himself available and pulling opposition players out of position, allowing Hall in particular to get in behind their midfield on numerous occasions. Should he play every game? Of course not. But he gives us something different and that's what being a good squad player is all about.

Sherif you're not going to get anything out of moaning at the Blair haters on here. Most people who cannot see what he brings to the team are unable to read or construct a coherent argument. For what it's worth I think he's a decent player but his limitations are obvious and I wouldn't have him ahead of Dickinson, Harris or Corr. But he's a more than able replacement when needed and he played very well on Saturday.

It's a shame Harris is now injured as soon as we've started to pass the ball rather than hoof it. I think he would do a similar job to Blair, with the added bonus of having more threat in front of goal.

FWIW Blair got a good ovation from West Block U on Saturday when he went off. Didn't hear anything negative about his performance.

If Blair Sturrock wasn't here there would be an identical thread to this discussing whoever else was this season's target for the boo boys. There always has to be someone and it isn't unique to Southend either. It's a fact of life that some people only go to football matches to moan at ther own players. It is effectively a cheap alternative to psychiatric treatment for the culprits and reduces prison/mental hospital overcrowding.

its been fun, i have some more football video's to watch and feed back player info by tommorow.
if you think he is a good asset to the team then thats ok, i was just pointing out some facts, would i sign him? No.
but thats my opinion.

Who are you feeding the info back to - Basildon United?

The two main reasons why we played so well going forward on Saturday were:
  • Blair was holding the ball up well and it wasn't coming straight back at us when it was passed forward.
  • Anthony had his best game for ages.

Back