• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we please just end this blatant targetting of the Manager's son - for me, the most consistent player across all the games to date. I can only echo the sentiments of those who understand what he brings to the team....you think we are toothless up front due to lack of service from the midfield...trust me, we'd be a lot worse off without Blair Sturrock's interlink play...lovely simple touches and good decision making which have set up many a decent attacking move so far this season.

He will be an important player for us this season...mark my words - and to those who should know better...put your stupid prejudices aside for one moment and support him.

yep, i agree with those saying we should get behind him. for me he's a solid, hardworking player who just seems to be lacking a bit of confidence. this was illustrated last night when he was put through, had one defender to beat, but rather than take him on got his back to goal and nothing came of it. i think with a bit more self-belief, he could be trying his hand at a shot from that kind of distance - i remember him having a decent effort from the edge of the box during the wolves game which rattled the bar.

first post by the way, hi all!

Sturrock played well last night I felt, he was causing havoc with their wing-backs and put in some good crosses from tight positions. I'd like to see him start but not with Corr as well as I feel that they are too similar and I'd rather have Sturrock - Spencer/Paterson than Sturrock - Corr. Cut that ponytail mind.

To be fair to the guy he does give 100% effort but to even think about using him as a striker and expecting to mount a promotion/play-off challenge is just laughable!
Surely most people on here have seen dozens of strikers playing for us over the years, this guy is way, way down the list of decent players in that role. If people are happy for him to be in the team then they must be easily pleased!!

yep, i agree with those saying we should get behind him. for me he's a solid, hardworking player who just seems to be lacking a bit of confidence. this was illustrated last night when he was put through, had one defender to beat, but rather than take him on got his back to goal and nothing came of it. i think with a bit more self-belief, he could be trying his hand at a shot from that kind of distance - i remember him having a decent effort from the edge of the box during the wolves game which rattled the bar.

first post by the way, hi all!

Hi Justin and welcome

Echo Sherif's words, Blair might have arrived with a preconception about him but he's proved that nepotism is not the reason in my mind. I really like the guy (pony tail apart!)

To be fair to the guy he does give 100% effort but to even think about using him as a striker and expecting to mount a promotion/play-off challenge is just laughable!
Surely most people on here have seen dozens of strikers playing for us over the years, this guy is way, way down the list of decent players in that role. If people are happy for him to be in the team then they must be easily pleased!!

Reminds me quite a lot of Lee Bradbury actually, another hard worker.

This thread just shows why players past and present would rather play away from home. It is up to us to get behind ALL players, how pathetic to boo your own players. What sad people

If people are happy for him to be in the team then they must be easily pleased!!

Spot on...

If Tilson had stayed and signed Corr & Sturrock jnr then at least 3/4 of the support would be ripping up their season tickets, starting Tilson Out campaigns and other various negative actions.

Spot on...

If Tilson had stayed and signed Corr & Sturrock jnr then at least 3/4 of the support would be ripping up their season tickets, starting Tilson Out campaigns and other various negative actions.

Stick a sock in it....you are turning into a real whingy pain in the arse

Spot on...

Yep that would obviously happen.

Blair Sturrock is a good league 2 player on barely any wages at all.

It's a disgrace that when Sturrock walked up to win the game, people where holding their heads in their hands, shouting oh no, oh great it's him.
Absolute disgrace.
What is even worse is, if he didn't put that penalty away, people would have been calling for his head. So that penalty has began his Southend career in effect. Whereas if it was Anthony 'genius' 'magician' Grant who lost us the game, everyone would have supported him, because he has scored 1 goal in the passed 80 games...
(That isn't slating Grant, who has been our best player, it is just an example of the fools who support this club.)

Fairport, you are saying we are easily pleased to have him there, no we aren't easily pleased, but most of us can appreciate what he brings to the team.

Stick a sock in it....you are turning into a real whingy pain in the arse

I saw a brilliant invention on The Gadget Show the other day.
It's an online mirror that you can use on messageboards such as this ;)

Hmmm, now I wonder if that particular slang term for the posterior is considered a swear filter infraction...:YB:

For anyone that really understands football ... Blair Sturrock is a players player
he has a touch, an awareness and an understanding of the game.

Most of the drivel posted on here against him is completely unfounded by people who dont know the game.

I have been managing for 7 years now, and somebody with the awareness of him is far more important to me than some flash pr1ck who can beat a few men, fall over etc. He wont score that many goals but dont underestimate what he brings to the overall package

and somebody with the awareness of him is far more important to me than some flash pr1ck who can beat a few men, fall over etc. He wont score that many goals but dont underestimate what he brings to the overall package

Oooooh, that sounds like a new Bart v Flavs style game...
Franny Laurent v BSjnr

Tries hard, works hard, considering the situation we were in I'm happy with his contribution better than vernon anyway of the week

For anyone that really understands football ... Blair Sturrock is a players player
he has a touch, an awareness and an understanding of the game.

Most of the drivel posted on here against him is completely unfounded by people who dont know the game.

I have been managing for 7 years now, and somebody with the awareness of him is far more important to me than some flash pr1ck who can beat a few men, fall over etc. He wont score that many goals but dont underestimate what he brings to the overall package

Got to say that I disagree with you: he's not a player's player, he's a coach's son!

You can see he has grown up around someone immersed in football and who really understands the finer points of the game.

Whatever your opinion on a player you have no right to boo a player, confidence often makes a player and when they get attacked by their own fans they become scared of doing anything beyond basic passes, for fear that if they do something creative if it doesn't work they'll be hated even more, look at players like Paynter, as soon as he gets away from the boos by going to a new club he can start performing because he has the backing of his own fans

You are wrong.
He has pace, but not with the ball at his feet.
He wins headers.
He has a good touch.
He has good vision.
He has a very good footballing brain.
He plays some nice passes.
He can whip a ball in 9 times out of 10.
He holds the ball up well and plays the midfield in.
He has very good composure on the ball.
He can play somebody in.

I totally agree that its far too early to judge, and that so far so good, and anyone calling for heads after 4 games is an imbecile, however also think its a bit OTT and too early to make these claims about him! if he did all of the above things so well, he wouldnt be playing for us!

You are wrong.
He has pace, but not with the ball at his feet.
He wins headers.
He has a good touch.
He has good vision.
He has a very good footballing brain.
He plays some nice passes.
He can whip a ball in 9 times out of 10.
He holds the ball up well and plays the midfield in.
He has very good composure on the ball.
He can play somebody in.

What the hell are you on about, were talking about blair sturrock. and u say watch him play hes played like 3 or 4 times this season and what 2 starts? and you can tell from that that he does all of these? as usual this site never fails to amuse me with some of the posts that get put on here, absoloute dog trollop

Spot on...

Half the criticism that Blair gets is because of the perception that he only gets a game because he's the manager's son. And as for the implied negativity about Tilson, how many other managers can have taken a Club down two divisions in three years and the fanbase decide to buy him a present? Tilly is a Legend, he'll always be a legend. Don't re-write history.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back