• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You dont have to be a carpenter to appreciate a good piece of furniture...

Indeed. There's few things more annoying on football boards than being told that you don't appreciate a player because you've never played the game.

Yep that would obviously happen.

Blair Sturrock is a good league 2 player on barely any wages at all.

It's a disgrace that when Sturrock walked up to win the game, people where holding their heads in their hands, shouting oh no, oh great it's him.
Absolute disgrace.
What is even worse is, if he didn't put that penalty away, people would have been calling for his head. So that penalty has began his Southend career in effect. Whereas if it was Anthony 'genius' 'magician' Grant who lost us the game, everyone would have supported him, because he has scored 1 goal in the passed 80 games...
(That isn't slating Grant, who has been our best player, it is just an example of the fools who support this club.)

Fairport, you are saying we are easily pleased to have him there, no we aren't easily pleased, but most of us can appreciate what he brings to the team.

I thought PS said that he was only looking to bring in players that could "cut it" at League One level? Does this statement not worry you a bit from our manager when he goes and signs a striker who has 30 goals in 10 years of football mostly at a lesser standard than Leaague One?

I think too many people are just being stubborn about him just to spite those who can see he is a poor aquisition, who are annoyed that he has joined us when there were so many better options out there. These fans choose to ignore the poor side of his game and see only the good.

And anyone who says that this isn't nepotism in the first degree must have a screw loose. Bit of a coincidence that Paul Sturrock happens to target a striker playing with Truro City who happens to be his son.....Strange one that.

Spot on...

If Tilson had stayed and signed Corr & Sturrock jnr then at least 3/4 of the support would be ripping up their season tickets, starting Tilson Out campaigns and other various negative actions.

....everyone would have blamed Ron Martin for forcing the signings on Tilly.

You're forgetting your lines. ;)

What a rubbish thread.....it is just about September, please please please dont start moaning about players already!!!

Lets just get behind the players and staff 110% all the way and as Sturrock senior said, make Roots Hall a place to fear for opposing teams

"All We Are Say-ing, is give BS a Chance..."
john-lennon-peace-sign1.jpg

Is he any worse than Drewe ?

We are on a very tight wage budget and the manager knew of a player who would do a job (maybe not set the world alight) well within the budget, maybe the reason he was well within the budget was because he wanted to work with his Dad again, ??

OK BS is no Drogba, not even Leon Constantine, but given the limited times I have seen him, I prefer him to a number of forwards we have had at the club.
(Graeme Jones, Tony Richards, Trevor Whymark, Mario Walsh, Mickey Welch, Dom Foley, to namr half a dozen off the top of my head)

And anyone who says that this isn't nepotism in the first degree must have a screw loose. Bit of a coincidence that Paul Sturrock happens to target a striker playing with Truro City who happens to be his son.....Strange one that.

As I said above, nepotism is an easy and obvious accusation and it's one Paul, Ron and Blair will have been aware of the moment the three of them began discussing the move. It means that Paul Sturrock has given himself an extra barrier to overcome while Blair will now have to work harder than every single one of his team mates to win over both the fans and those same team mates.

Paul knows exactly what he'll get from his son (having no doubt coached him from an early age to do it) just as he knows what he'll get from the other players who have played for him previously. Of course it's no coincidence.

As a football league manager with a job more closely linked to results and peformance than in any other walk of life, Paul Sturrock will not have wanted to give himself any further handicaps. Jobs for the boys (as a squad player) is one thing. Actually playing his son in the first team where results are paramount PROVES that he genuinely has faith in his son's ability to do a job for him.

If you must shout "nepotism", put yourself in Paul Sturrock's shoes for a moment. If you knew that failure at your next club would mean the end of your career and YOUR son was that ****, would YOU sign him and take that risk?

Signing Blair was probably the easiest AND most difficult decision Paul could have taken. He's not the best player we've ever had, he's not the worst, but he is probably one of the cheapest (speculation).

I'm not going to start quoting everyone here.

SS5, My list of Blair's attributes are correct, they might not be correct if he played in the Premiership, but they are how I've seen him play in the pre season games, in the league, Bristol City cup game and the JPT on Tuesday. He has been our most consistent player.

You are right Napster you don't have to be a carpenter to appreciate a good piece of furniture, but if you are a carpenter you can see the quality of how it is made.

My opinion is, if you haven't played football I really have no idea at all in how you can analyse a game of football let alone criticise a footballer who is playing in the football league.

The problem is that because he is Sturrock's son there is always going to be people who think he shouldn't be playing for out football club. Typical snap judgement.
SuperBlue24, I see you just made a dig at Paul Sturrock by twisting my words. I think he would be good enough in League 1 aswell for the record. He may have signed someone from Truro City mate, but we also signed a player who hadn't played football in 9 months (Zaboub) and a player from Bromley, and a player who played in a french park (Bilel).
At the end of the day PS hasn't brought his son here to score 20 goals, he knows that isn't going to happen, however he knows that he is a good enough play maker to add something different to the squad.
We don't only see good in Blair's play, or any of the squads play, we just like to stay off their backs because we are sick of people booing good players out of this club. You are the complete different end of the scale, you only see his bad parts. I think too many people are just being stubborn because he is the managers son.

MAGNUM YOU JUST HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD.

I've got to disagree with a lot of you I'm afraid.
I still don't get the Blair Sturrock continual selection. I'm not having a real go at him, because he's actually turned out to be a much better player than I thought. But with the personnel next to him, it's not working. If he was playing with a sharp, deadly striker, then his holding the ball up and short passes would work. It affects the way his team mates pass to him, it is always back to goal, and then he knocks it back or sideways, they never try to put him through on goal. The Corr and Paterson partnership hasn't been given a chance yet, I think that would be a bit more direct. Better still of course, a pacey goalscorer on loan. The defence and midfield is fairly solid, I think we are just missing a cutting edge. I'm sorry but the chairman says that we need to be in the Championship as quick as possible, for the sake of the long term survival of the club, but we will not get promotion with Blair Sturrock playing upfront. That's the reality of it, even tho I appreciate all those attributes mentioned, that he has.

My opinion is, if you haven't played football I really have no idea at all in how you can analyse a game of football let alone criticise a footballer who is playing in the football league.

Oh dear. In which case I propose only people who have played football to a decent level be allowed to contribute to the Pringello Index. No-one allowed who has played lower than semi-pro level at least.

I've got to disagree with a lot of you I'm afraid.
I still don't get the Blair Sturrock continual selection. I'm not having a real go at him, because he's actually turned out to be a much better player than I thought. But with the personnel next to him, it's not working. If he was playing with a sharp, deadly striker, then his holding the ball up and short passes would work. It affects the way his team mates pass to him, it is always back to goal, and then he knocks it back or sideways, they never try to put him through on goal. The Corr and Paterson partnership hasn't been given a chance yet, I think that would be a bit more direct. Better still of course, a pacey goalscorer on loan. The defence and midfield is fairly solid, I think we are just missing a cutting edge. I'm sorry but the chairman says that we need to be in the Championship as quick as possible, for the sake of the long term survival of the club, but we will not get promotion with Blair Sturrock playing upfront. That's the reality of it, even tho I appreciate all those attributes mentioned, that he has.

Most sensible post of the past couple of weeks ;)

I didn't see too much hard work from Sturrock on Friday night, I thought he looked tired and a little off the pace. He didn't really get into the box, which meant Simpson only had one target to aim for. I'm all for a 4411 formation, but I don't think we'll get enough goals playing that formation with the players we have. Paterson and Spencer look more natural finishers and I'd prefer one of them alongside Corr, letting Corr link up the play, and Spencer or Paterson get in and through the channels.

Some controversial people might say that IS our formation with BSjnr playing :smiles:

How many times have you seen him play ?

I really think we should have learnt our lessons with Paynter, Mcdonald and Hooper and need to give players a chance before slagging them off.

Personally I dont think Corr and Sturrock are the best solution as we need someone pacier to play off of either of them, Id rather see spencer given a chance, but thats not putting down either Corr or Sturrock although with Corrs physical presence he would be my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back