• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodhamShrimper

Youth Team
Why does Blair Sturrock turn his back to goal and why does he always pass to the 'nearest player' I looked at his old club stats, i notice he couldnt make an appearance at TRURO CITY? and he likes to follow daddy to his clubs. Its like being a 8year old where your dads the manager and you gain a spot in the 1st team. I really hope his dropped sorry for anyone who feels different and its been mentioned before his goal per game ratio is poo, he calls himself a striker, really????

That may be his history, but it is his future as a Southend player which concerns me. I also remember him popping up on soccer saturday with important goals for his dad's sides late in games. I'll trust Paul Sturrock to make the right decisions until he proves me wrong. Lets give these guys a break - it could have been so, so bad for Southend this season given the summer - I'm practically ecstatic that we're even competitive. Lets just try and give everyone a fair chance eh?

i have given him a chance 4games i believe lets see at end the season if he scores more than 10. his first was off his shin 2metres away from the goal. he looks clueless on the field no pace and always offside, i hope you prove me wrong spaceman for the sake off the club

Unless Blair bangs in twenty goals a season, Sturrock senior will always be open to claims of nepotism.

One side of the argument suggests that Blair need only show up to training and he'll get into the side.

The other side of the argument suggests that the manager knows exactly what he's going to get. Say what you like about Ron but it's fairly obvious he'll have asked the very question we've all asked and satisfied himself with Paul's requirements and intentions. Football fans call things as they see them and Paul, Blair and Ron will ALL have recognised this before the signing was made as they've all been round the block. That suggests to me that Blair is probably cheap enough and good enough to justify the decision. Paul Sturrock will know that if things do not work out, he will be once again out of a job. He has therefore, at least to some degree, pegged his easily-terminated footballing livelihood against the contributions of his son. As for Blair, he'll have to work twice - maybe even thrice - as hard as everyone else to get the right amount of credit from both the fans AND his teammates. They will also be asking the question.

He's not the best striker we've ever had but he's also long way from being the worst. He's not even the worst player in the squad. Let's give him a chance, eh?

Blair holds the ball up well and brings other players into play. I am happy for him to keep playing this role. If a ball is coming to him, he will receive the ball, hold it up and lay it off, turn and run into space. He works very hard for the team and goals come off the back of his play.

i have given him a chance 4games i believe lets see at end the season if he scores more than 10. his first was off his shin 2metres away from the goal. he looks clueless on the field no pace and always offside, i hope you prove me wrong spaceman for the sake off the club

You are wrong.
He has pace, but not with the ball at his feet.
He wins headers.
He has a good touch.
He has good vision.
He has a very good footballing brain.
He plays some nice passes.
He can whip a ball in 9 times out of 10.
He holds the ball up well and plays the midfield in.
He has very good composure on the ball.
He can play somebody in.

Obviously these points aren't the case every time, but I also don't see Tevez be perfect 100% of the time.
Granted, he wont score many, but he isn't there for that.

It is passed the 'give him a chance' stage, because he has had his chance, he has proven he is worth his place.
I can't believe how many people go to football and don't watch the game, they only look at;
Oh he's a winger he didn't take three players on and play a perfect ball in.
Oh he's centre back, he wins headers but he doesn't direct them properly.

Blair is played as a striker/play maker, he works very very hard, he is a very good footballer, if he doesn't score people don't see that he is a good player.
I'd rather have Blair instead of Revell/Harold/Paynter(when he player for us) any day of the week.

Watch him play, don't watch the stats.

What a rubbish thread.....it is just about September, please please please dont start moaning about players already!!!

Lets just get behind the players and staff 110% all the way and as Sturrock senior said, make Roots Hall a place to fear for opposing teams

You are wrong.
He wins headers.
He has a good touch.
He has good vision.
He can play somebody in.

Obviously these points aren't the case every time, but I also don't see Tevez be perfect 100% of the time.

It is passed the 'give him a chance' stage, because he has had his chance, he has proven he is worth his place.
I can't believe how many people go to football and don't watch the game, they only look at;

Blair is played as a striker/play maker, he works very very hard, he is a very good footballer, if he doesn't score people don't see that he is a good player.
I'd rather have Blair instead of Revell/Harold/Paynter(when he player for us) any day of the week.

Elaborating on what I said. I sat in the East Blacks last night and I had 4 or 5 65-70 year old men moan and bitching about Blair the whole game. I had to turn round in the end and tell them they should know better. I was so pleased when Blair scored the winning penalty and had a good chuckle at them, only for one of them to turn round and say 'you don't need to be a good footballer to score a penalty'. I give up with people like that.

What a rubbish thread.....it is just about September, please please please dont start moaning about players already!!!

Lets just get behind the players and staff 110% all the way and as Sturrock senior said, make Roots Hall a place to fear for opposing teams

In fairness to the original poster, it's a forum for discussing Southend United and it'll be a boring place if we all thought the same.

Elaborating on what I said. I sat in the East Blacks last night and I had 4 or 5 65-70 year old men moan and bitching about Blair the whole game. I had to turn round in the end and tell them they should know better. I was so pleased when Blair scored the winning penalty and had a good chuckle at them, only for one of them to turn round and say 'you don't need to be a good footballer to score a penalty'. I give up with people like that.

The main reason for comments like these, is because they have never played football, or the haven't played football in 30 years.
They go to football to watch players play how they want the game to be played, it just doesn't work like that.
It's like music, if you don't have any real interest in music you just think a certain genre is ****, whereas if you have a wider understanding towards music, you realise that every genre of music is actually very good and clever in its own way, even if you don't want to buy the record.

You are wrong.
He wins headers.
He has a good touch.
He has good vision.
He can play somebody in.

This guy sounds better than Drogba. Who is he?

At the game last night there was a bloke in the row behind me who kept shouting out "clown" every time Sturrock got the ball.

It's ridiculous - fans should be supporting this team and these players: they've shown a damn sight more passion and desire than the majority of last season's squad.

Unless Blair bangs in twenty goals a season, Sturrock senior will always be open to claims of nepotism.

One side of the argument suggests that Blair need only show up to training and he'll get into the side.

The other side of the argument suggests that the manager knows exactly what he's going to get. Say what you like about Ron but it's fairly obvious he'll have asked the very question we've all asked and satisfied himself with Paul's requirements and intentions. Football fans call things as they see them and Paul, Blair and Ron will ALL have recognised this before the signing was made as they've all been round the block. That suggests to me that Blair is probably cheap enough and good enough to justify the decision. Paul Sturrock will know that if things do not work out, he will be once again out of a job. He has therefore, at least to some degree, pegged his easily-terminated footballing livelihood against the contributions of his son. As for Blair, he'll have to work twice - maybe even thrice - as hard as everyone else to get the right amount of credit from both the fans AND his teammates. They will also be asking the question.

He's not the best striker we've ever had but he's also long way from being the worst. He's not even the worst player in the squad. Let's give him a chance, eh?

Dead right. Sturrock is starting the two best strikers he has in Corr and Sturrock. They may not be great but he knows what he's doing. He doesn't fancy Spencer or Paterson and he has good reason for that assessment. Let's trust him - it's not really in his interests to be blindly nepotistic.

At the game last night there was a bloke in the row behind me who kept shouting out "clown" every time Sturrock got the ball.

It's ridiculous - fans should be supporting this team and these players: they've shown a damn sight more passion and desire than the majority of last season's squad.

Good point about the support, just a shame that last years squad weren't paid on time for their efforts.

When Paterson was about to come on, you could see that he turned towards the bench, his head went down and he was about to walk until the number 10 went up. I think he was as surprised as everyone else!

You are wrong.
He wins headers.
He has a good touch.
He has good vision.
He can play somebody in.

What he said.

I reckon Blair to date has put in the effort, had some good effect, and should be encouraged.

As long as all th eplayers try we can't ask any more. From what I am seeing they are all now trying (except v Port Vale). As others say lets get behind all of them and show the support they have given by signing for us.

would you be having a go at him if his name was john smith and not blair sturrock ? he looks a better player than the hopeless scott vernon we had to put up with last season .

Great thread - thanks for starting it. I think Blair looks like a very decent league 2 player for all the reasons outlined above. He didn't cost us anything and puts in 100% effort every game. Not everything he does comes off, but a fair bit does - HE'S A FREE TRANSFER PLAYING IN LEAGUE TWO - we can't expect Didier Drogba!

I like him and wish the crowd would get behind him instead of booing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back