• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I love these debates, we have to except in the eyes of the fans Blair Sturrock is the new Kevin Maher, love him or hate him. You either look at the positives he brings to the game or the negatives. I would bet at least once (probably more) a season we had the same thread about Kevin Maher when he was at the club, Just for reference i always thought Maher was $#1t...........just saying.

BLAIR BLAIR SUPER BLAIR, BLAIR BLAIR SUPER BLAIR, BLAIR BLAIR SUPER BLAIR, SUPER BLAIR STURROCK!!!

JEDI JEDI JEDI JEDI JEDI!

Southend's Jedi Southend's Jedi Woah WoahhhH!

Those who can't see what Blair offers are clueless! The end, yeahhhh I love this re occuring debate.

Oh and also, very interesting stats about how many we have won with him in the side.

Proves how essential he is. Some people do just have a cheeky little chip on their shoulder, they can't help it, it's sort of like when a child will disagree with everything.

The Sky is blue, NO IT ISN'T!
The grass is green, NO IT ISN'T!

SUPER BLAIR!

Last edited:
Whether you rate Blair or not, the fact is Sturrock Sr has brought in four other strikers on loan so far this season and none of them did anything, so the whole nepotism thing is nonsense, as far as I'm concerned. Blair definitely shouldn't have played on Saturday, though.

I said I was entitled to my own opinion that was all and YB was the one to start putting people in camps by saying those that did not see it his way had chips on their shoulders.

Actually I said certain supporters had chips on their shoulders and went onto identify those who fail to acknowledge his strengths and only see his weaknesses.

Sturrock's game is better suited for when we are away from home. He holds up the ball well when it's played into his feet and that allows others to join in from deep. I'd even go as far as to say Blair's more than played his part in helping us win points away from Roots Hall.
But, as far as I'm concerned, that's all he has to his game. He doesn't pose a threat in front of goal, he doesn't dominate a centre half aerially and he doesn't have pace. IMO he doesn't work as hard as people make out and although at times he seems a fairly intelligent player, he's not good enough to execute what his mind is telling him.
I'd not play him at home, but I would away due to lack of options. My opinion is that if Paul Sturrock wasn't his Dad then he wouldn't have been signed, depite the aspects of his game that are decent.
Does this mean I have a closed mind? A clueless idiot that doesn't know anything about football as I've read I must be in your and other posts on the subject? The answers no to both. It's just my opinion and yours is just that also. I don't boo Sturrock, I just think he's not very good - the opposite to you.
I've noticed from a lot of your posts that you seem to have placed yourself on a pedestal in thinking you have superior football knowledge to those with 'closed minds', but the bottom line is I don't rate Blair, you do. I'll keep bemoaning the fact he's playing and you keep rejoicing in his 'ability.'
It's a difference of opinion...that's football.

I said people with the closed minds are the ones who are unable to acknowledge what he brings to the side. You've acknowledged that he's done more than his share away from home and links play well. I think he's got more value to this side at home than you do, but they are both valid, reasoned opinions. What clearly isn't a valid opinion is just saying that he's rubbish and is non-league at best, when there is plenty of evidence to the contrary this season. He clearly brings attributes (movement, intelligence, creating space, switching play) that we otherwise lack in the squad.

Sorry, but I have said since the day he signed for us, he will not score enough goals. Not rose tinted or on anyone's side but not one Football League manager apart from his Dad have signed him.

He's not a kid either, he's 30 years old and has at least 13 years of football behind him - yes he holds the ball up well, but I want my strikers to score goals.

You should take a look at the number of times he has created goals or goal attempts for others.Still think he is a Ian Benjamin type player ,will never get a hatfull of goals ,but would definately be on the teamsheet for his contribution for the team.A decent player at this level

When did this happen?

The point that was being made is that, just because someone takes a poor penalty it doesn't mean that they are a poor player.

If memory serves me well, Grant took a poor penalty in the game against Gillingham and Sturrock scored his penalty, therefore Sturrock > Grant ....

I dont rate sturrock though, and i had no confidence in him at all when he went up to take that penalty, everyone will have their own opinion, i also believe rhys evans is a liability as i s*** my pants every time we do a back pass too him, just a matter of opinion, he does try his guts out yeah, but we might as well put sawyer up there as he would do a same if not better job

I dont rate sturrock though, and i had no confidence in him at all when he went up to take that penalty, everyone will have their own opinion, i also believe rhys evans is a liability as i s*** my pants every time we do a back pass too him, just a matter of opinion, he does try his guts out yeah, but we might as well put sawyer up there as he would do a same if not better job

Do you actually understand the world?

This is where you are showing a lack of football knowledge and immaturity in years. Move a good CM to CF because you think he will do a better job than Sturrock. So where does that leave the CM position with Ferdinand injured? Sawyer couldn't play a CF role, he isn't that sort of player.

I'm fed up with the constant blowing of Blair Sturrock's trumpet from certain supporters with rose tinted glasses on.

OMG not the dreaded stats again...

As you are entitled to your opinion of him others are also entitled to their own. We will never all agree as somebody has already stated he is like Marmite....you either like him or you don't. I am in the latter camp and nothing will make him anything but a Blue Square player in my eyes.

I think that's exactly the attitude that Yorkshire Blue is talking about. I wouldn't matter if he scored a hatrick in every match from how to the end of the season, you will still assume he's in the team because of his dad.

This is where you are showing a lack of football knowledge and immaturity in years. Move a good CM to CF because you think he will do a better job than Sturrock. So where does that leave the CM position with Ferdinand injured? Sawyer couldn't play a CF role, he isn't that sort of player.

yeah im young but sturrocks been playing fairly wide in a 4 3 3 formation recently, once again a matter of opinion, ferdinand has been quality and will definitly regain his place when fit again, that means sawyer will drop out of the team, i just really do not rate sturrock at all

Sawyer is a box-to-box midfielder and would be wasted upfront, that is my opinion. I have to admit that I was disappointed when I heard that Sturrock had taken the penalty and it reminded me of when Walker took a penalty and before he even put the ball on the spot, the whole ground moaned. He is not a goalscorer, never has been and never will be. Look at Crouch this season, only 2 league goals, but look at what he has brought to the side. The partnership he has with Van der Vaart is excellent and he has improved his all round game.

Any player that gives 100% and cares will always get my vote.
Last year we had a whole team who didn’t give a toss (pay or no pay) One of the worse players for the last 3 seasons was Adam Barrett who for some reason was loved by the supporters just because of a few cinched fist gestures, kissing the badge and waving to the crowd, but how many goals did we concede because of him?? But the crowd loved him. Blair may not be the most talented but he deserves our support as does the rest of the team

Last edited:
He's grown on me over the season. Give me 10 Blair Sturrocks over 1 Fernando Torres any day of the week.

Sawyer is a box-to-box midfielder and would be wasted upfront, that is my opinion. I have to admit that I was disappointed when I heard that Sturrock had taken the penalty and it reminded me of when Walker took a penalty and before he even put the ball on the spot, the whole ground moaned. He is not a goalscorer, never has been and never will be. Look at Crouch this season, only 2 league goals, but look at what he has brought to the side. The partnership he has with Van der Vaart is excellent and he has improved his all round game.

Yeah fair point and i remember that as well, and with crouch, he wins his headers and has linked extremelly well with rafael van der vaart, but with sturrock i just dont feel he is good enough, he does switch the play well and has one of the best touches in the team but his lack of goal scoring threat, aerial ability and pace do not help his cause at all

Any player that gives 100% and cares will always get my vote.
Last year we had a whole team who didn’t give a toss (pay or no pay) One of the worse players for the last 3 seasons was Adam Barrett who for some reason was loved by the supporters just because of a few cinched fist gestures, kissing the badge and waving to the crowd, but how many goals did we concede because of him?? But the crowd loved him. Blair may not be the most talented but he deserves how support as does the rest of the team

Not so sure it was 3 seasons he was poor for, he lost the bit of pace that he did, I just loved Barret and I probably always will, apart from that I do agree with you.

I do actually think Blair is one of the most gifted in the squad, he has the best footballing brain in the side, and that is a gift that you can't learn!

Yeah fair point and i remember that as well, and with crouch, he wins his headers and has linked extremelly well with rafael van der vaart, but with sturrock i just dont feel he is good enough, he does switch the play well and has one of the best touches in the team but his lack of goal scoring threat, aerial ability and pace do not help his cause at all

But the stats that YB posted at the start of this thread DO help his cause greatly.

Back