• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

wooshhhhh!!!!!

(I'm probably Blair's biggest fan)

Apologies, I've not kept up to speed with this thread.

Have to say, completely agree with YB's epic multi-quoted thread. I've not seen lots of games this season but I've seen Blair have both good and bad individual games (i.e. poor touches/shots), however whenever he's on the pitch his intellegent running and linking play does cause the opposition problems and it does allow our midfield to operate behind him. Also, the stats seem pretty solid to me... Blair is one of our 'must starts' IMO. He might not be a true striker, but he's a vital part of how our team is set up to play.

For me the whole problem is that I don't really think he's a striker, not in the traditional sense. He's more of a forward playing midfielder, with particular skill on the right wing - good creative skills and excellent crosser of the ball from quite difficult positions - and why, when we don't really have a right winger, we haven't been playing him there I don't know.

This thread is going round in circles. The aim of the thread was to prove that Blair brought something to the team, but when most of the debate against is that "he is the manager's son" and "he is cack" and after 11 pages of this, the same views are being shown.

This is more about defending the managers son
Lets be honest here he is cack simPle

You are Wiggy and i claim my £5 Keep reeling them in :happy:

This thread' got another 10 pages and 20 paragraphs of point for YB to counter.

Have we had a poll on BS recently. I'd be interested in current views. FWIW I don't regard him as a striker but I'm happy for him to be played where he is. He can win the ball and look to offload to others that will shoot. Birdseye hit the bullseye with an earlier comment. I cannot agree that playing an under the weather player when we have other options is the right decision. In my mind that sends out the wrong message to the rest of the squad. Crawford is massively overrated but in fairness it's hard to judge fully with bit part cameos.

For me the whole problem is that I don't really think he's a striker, not in the traditional sense. He's more of a forward playing midfielder, with particular skill on the right wing - good creative skills and excellent crosser of the ball from quite difficult positions - and why, when we don't really have a right winger, we haven't been playing him there I don't know.

Interesting, I agree with this - I don't think he is being played in the correct position.

Have we had a poll on BS recently. I'd be interested in current views. FWIW I don't regard him as a striker but I'm happy for him to be played where he is. He can win the ball and look to offload to others that will shoot. Birdseye hit the bullseye with an earlier comment. I cannot agree that playing an under the weather player when we have other options is the right decision. In my mind that sends out the wrong message to the rest of the squad. Crawford is massively overrated but in fairness it's hard to judge fully with bit part cameos.

And therein lies the problem, Blair has been played at every opportunity this season regardless of fitness, health or form - no one else has had an opportunity - cameo appearances do not build match fitness nor experience.

I cannot agree that playing an under the weather player when we have other options is the right decision. In my mind that sends out the wrong message to the rest of the squad. Crawford is massively overrated but in fairness it's hard to judge fully with bit part cameos.
I sort of agree with you because I don't think Blair shouldn't have started either. Then again, Crawford had only just returned from an ankle injury and therefore perhaps Sturrock Sr didn't want to risk playing him from the start. Asante was the only other option and I doubt he's ready to start a game yet. With Pato out on loan we didn't exactly have a wealth of alternatives.

And therein lies the problem, Blair has been played at every opportunity this season regardless of fitness, health or form - no one else has had an opportunity - cameo appearances do not build match fitness nor experience.
But Sturrock has brought in four strikers on loan during the season so he clearly was looking at alternatives. Were any of them better than Blair? I don't think so, and results during that period seem to back that up.

But Sturrock has brought in four strikers on loan during the season so he clearly was looking at alternatives. Were any of them better than Blair? I don't think so, and results during that period seem to back that up.

All to a man were poor, some worse than poor! Screech finished last season scoring goals, Pato started this season scoring goals - and neither were given the regular pitch time that as 'back up' strikers they should have got.

Don't worry I am not getting on my :soapbox: soapbox again, I am over it (almost!).

I do agree Paterson deserved some more pitch time as he is skilful and definitely has something about him. Trouble is, I'm not sure he has the strength of character to make it in professional football. From the moment he fluffed that golden chance against Wycombe on his debut last season, he looked to me like someone who didn't quite believe in himself. Admittedly it didn't help that Tilly played him as a lone target man in subsequent weeks (something he definitely isn't!) but he needs to bulk up and be more positive.

As for Spencer, by all accounts his attitude was terrible and, courtesy of Andy_S, told Widdrington to f**k off in the home game with Morecambe, after which he was confined to the reserves. To be fair, he scored some decent goals when he signed last season; the trouble is, he lacks a football brain and has a tendency to run into blind alleys, and he also doesn't suit Sturrock Sr's style of play anyway as he plays on the shoulder of the last man whereas Luggy prefers a targetman and someone in the hole to feed off the scraps.

I sort of agree with you because I don't think Blair shouldn't have started either. Then again, Crawford had only just returned from an ankle injury and therefore perhaps Sturrock Sr didn't want to risk playing him from the start. Asante was the only other option and I doubt he's ready to start a game yet. With Pato out on loan we didn't exactly have a wealth of alternatives.

Corr started the other week when he wasn't 100% as well.

Maybe it's a lack of options, or maybe he's a key player they wanted to give every chance to - England could have played Shahzad instead of Broad yesterday, but went for Broad who was still recovering from illness. With hindsight it was the wrong decision to play Broad, but it's the type of decision that when it works for you no-one ever gives you any credit for. I think we played better as a team on Saturday with an ill Sturrock than we did once he went off.

to quote from Kill Bill 2 - You're my (nearly) favorite person, but every once in a while you can be a real ****.

There are times when your reasoned arguments are very good. There are other times when your reasoned arguments are very good but delivered with sanctimonious arrogance. This is one of those time. The emphatic multi quote holier than thou approach is a real bitch particular as you seem hell bent on proving that you know everything and those with a different opinion know nothing. Just accept that people have a different opinion to yours. They may not be able to express themselves as 'masterfully' as you and sometimes their response may be childish nonsense. Nonetheless I enjoy those debates just as much, if not more, than ones where you get on your high and very mighty horse.

In future when you are in 'the zone' how about taking a couple of breath's before you post.

Have you got a Hattori Hanzō sword kicking around perchance ..I have a use for it.

Back