• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
I'm fed up with the constant sniping about Blair Sturrock from certain supporters with chips on their shoulders.

If you've actually been paying attention this season you'll have spotted how Sturrock contributes: the way he has the vision to switch play, the way he stretches defences with his movement, his link-up play, his hardwork off the ball and his general football intelligence. This all makes us a better team.

The vast majority of our support have now accepted what he offers, he even gets his name chanted occasionally, which given the scepticism that treated his arrival, is one of the more noteworthy achievements of the last decade (I think Kevin Maher may be the only other player to have won over a sceptical crowd).

Don't believe me: have a look at the stats.

Has made 25 league starts.

Of those 25 we've won 13, drawing a further 5 games. That's 44 points from 25 games, or the equivalent of about 81 points over a full season.

In the 7 games he hasn't started, we've won a grand total of ZERO, drawn three* and lost four. That's three points in 7 seven games. Over a course of a season that is approximately 20 points.

Despite this, he seems (like SUFC) to have no credit in the bank in certain quarters. One off display and the snipers are back out. He'll shut them up for a couple of games with influential displays, but all it takes is for a couple of mistakes and the goodwill is gone and they'll be back on his case, suggesting he should be dropped.

So his critics should ask themselves why we are a better team with him in it, why the vast majority have now accepted him? Yes, the reason Sturrock is in the side is because his father is the manager but it isn't nepotism, it's because his father is a bloody good coach who has instilled a far greater understanding of football into his son than you are sadly ever going to have with your closed minds. I'm not saying he's a perfect footballer; he certainly has his flaws (like all players), but unless you are also willing to acknowledge the attributes he currently brings to the side then you're really not worth wasting my time arguing with and are no better than Barna Blue.

He might not be my player of the season so far, but he's quite possibly top 3. Well done Blair. Keep it up.

*It's even worth noting that of those three draws, Blair Sturrock came on as sub in two of them when we were trailing and helped us equalise.

He has good vision and good link up play, holds the ball up well, and can pass to a blue shirt (when at home) On the negative side, he rarely wins headers, and doesn't get off the ground well, doesn't shoot often enough, or score enough goals.
All in all an average league two striker I would say. We can't seem to replace him with anyone better though (for whatever reason) so I would rather have him in the team than not, because whoever comes in to replace him never seem to take their chance.

I'm fed up with the constant blowing of Blair Sturrock's trumpet from certain supporters with rose tinted glasses on.

OMG not the dreaded stats again...

As you are entitled to your opinion of him others are also entitled to their own. We will never all agree as somebody has already stated he is like Marmite....you either like him or you don't. I am in the latter camp and nothing will make him anything but a Blue Square player in my eyes.

He's not a striker though.

He may not be a striker but he is playing in the same position as hall just on the opposite wing, one thing I can't understand is he can switch play with a 30 yard pass but can't seem to hit the target when he shoots although he takes a lot less shots now that everyone is on his back. the stats speak for themselves we should keep Blair in the team but I do feel that if he was ill saturday then he shouldn't have been playing.

Yorkie, out of interest could you list the 7 games that Blair did not start please?...

If Tilson had signed him, he'd have been heralded as the new O Fenomeno by now.

He's not the 20-goal striker that every club craves, we have Barry Corr for that department, but he's a significantly important element in the way that we play. He links the midfield with the attack, is capable of switching the direction of our play almost instantly and his distribution is largely exceptional. He's not the quickest, tallest or strongest, but he understands the game more than most and when he's fully fit, he can be a real asset.

I really do struggle to see how people can't (refuse?) to see what he brings to the team.

I'm fed up with the constant blowing of Blair Sturrock's trumpet from certain supporters with rose tinted glasses on.

OMG not the dreaded stats again...

As you are entitled to your opinion of him others are also entitled to their own. We will never all agree as somebody has already stated he is like Marmite....you either like him or you don't. I am in the latter camp and nothing will make him anything but a Blue Square player in my eyes.

You accuse others of having rose-tinted specs, but it is you who is blinkered as, even in the face of evidence proving you incorrect, you still believe you're right.

You accuse others of having rose-tinted specs, but it is you who is blinkered as, even in the face of evidence proving you incorrect, you still believe you're right.

I said I was entitled to my own opinion that was all and YB was the one to start putting people in camps by saying those that did not see it his way had chips on their shoulders.

My opinion of Blair Sturrock is that he is a true one hundred percenter....he takes stick from certain quarters, at times you can see him hardly wanting to look at the crowd and he is often the brunt of a rant or two from his team-mates BUT he still always gives his all.

After watching the cr@p we had to endure last season with some of those heartless performances, it gives you a reality check - were not Man United and going to always challenge for trophies so it makes you realise that all you really want is players to wear the Blue shirt and give their all. We could have done with a few players with his heart when we went down without a fight last season (Regardless of whether players were paid on time or not, you still have self respect and passion).

Blair will always be frustrating, in my opinion he has a cracking footballing brain, you can see that by the way he plays (Movement, link up play etc) but he is the not best technically. When he plays on instinct, he is arguably one of our best players ecspecially when you add his work-rate- its just when he has a lot of time he sometimes falters...this is maybe why he misses chances and sometimes misplaces a simple ten yard pass. You often see that with players, ecspecially strikers - too much time and they overthink and then the chance ends up rushed.

Regardless of his flaw's though, when you think of some of the dross we have seen on the hallowed turf down the years, is he really that bad - I think we all know that he isn't. Although I will always groan at a missed chance or a wasted pass - I will always applaud him after his efforts.

Last edited:
Has made 25 league starts.

Of those 25 we've won 13, drawing a further 5 games. That's 44 points from 25 games, or the equivalent of about 81 points over a full season.

In the 7 games he hasn't started, we've won a grand total of ZERO, drawn three* and lost four. That's three points in 7 seven games. Over a course of a season that is approximately 20 points.

must admit that is a stat I didnt expect. I'm not his number 1 fan but I do appreciate what he does for the team. If only he had more of an attacking mind then he would be a lot more liked. He nevers looks like he will score but I do accept he has a lot more to his game although he does seem to play in slow motion haha.

must admit that is a stat I didnt expect. I'm not his number 1 fan but I do appreciate what he does for the team. If only he had more of an attacking mind then he would be a lot more liked. He nevers looks like he will score but I do accept he has a lot more to his game although he does seem to play in slow motion haha.

Agree word for word basically. You've summed up my take on him, so cheers :)

I really find it strange that people who don't think Blair is a striker are accused of having a chip on their shoulder. I have just checked and I don't as yet.
All the basic qualities of a good stiker Blair doesn't have.

HE DOESN'T SCORE MANY GOALS
HE CAN'T SHOOT
HE DOESN'T WIN MANY HEADERS IN THE AIR
HE LACKS ANY PACE
HE CAN'T BEAT A DEFENDER ONE ON ONE (to be fair I can't remember him trying!!)
HIS MOVEMENT IS LATERAL AND HE DOESN'T GET IN BEHIND THE DEFENCE

All the qualities he is praised for are reserved for midfield players.

Let's face it his record at previous clubs as a striker is abysmal, and his striking record with us is in line with what he has done previously.

Sorry, but I have said since the day he signed for us, he will not score enough goals. Not rose tinted or on anyone's side but not one Football League manager apart from his Dad have signed him.

He's not a kid either, he's 30 years old and has at least 13 years of football behind him - yes he holds the ball up well, but I want my strikers to score goals.

Back