• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Seedy Nigel

Youth Team
Just came across this interesting interview with Blair about his psychological health worsening during his time in football, with depression and anxiety dominating his professional and personal life. He says during the interview that he felt very isolated for being the son of Paul Sturrock due to his constant battle to prove himself to team mates and supporters.

http://www.elitewelfaremanagement.c...rock-educate-players-when-young-on-pressures/

There is a lot of truth in this, and lots of sons of famous fathers must have the same issues. However Blair being so closely involved with his dad will have made it all the more harder.
As OBL says, I agree, always worked hard and seemed a pleasant guy.

There is a lot of truth in this, and lots of sons of famous fathers must have the same issues. However Blair being so closely involved with his dad will have made it all the more harder.

Yes and no. Harder through the difficulties inherent in that sort of arrangement. Easier because someone would actually give him a job.

I think there is a huge amount of truth in this, particularly for the son's of successful managers, and well done to Blair to use his profile to raise the issue. I always liked him, and thought he was a decent player at our level. He was never going to set the premiership alight, but in fairness, while he played for us, we werent likely to either!

There is also another, wider issue here. Football is a confidence game, and the fine line between confidence and depression is often mistaken as arrogance, which is used by some as a cover for a lack of confidence.

Just came across this interesting interview with Blair about his psychological health worsening during his time in football, with depression and anxiety dominating his professional and personal life. He says during the interview that he felt very isolated for being the son of Paul Sturrock due to his constant battle to prove himself to team mates and supporters.

http://www.elitewelfaremanagement.c...rock-educate-players-when-young-on-pressures/

I'll never question his work ethic, that was first rate, but sadly his ability meant he had to put himself in that position time and again by following his father round the football league, as barely any other football manager wanted him.

I'll never question his work ethic, that was first rate, but sadly his ability meant he had to put himself in that position time and again by following his father round the football league, as barely any other football manager wanted him.

Agree with this. He should think himself incredibly lucky to have a career at the level he did. I'm sure there are plenty of players with better ability who never played pro football.

Agree with this. He should think himself incredibly lucky to have a career at the level he did. I'm sure there are plenty of players with better ability who never played pro football.

I'm inclined to agree. How many times did PS sign him? 3/4?

That's going to make you think you need to prove yourself. It would for me.

Difficult one though, but I do think if his father wasn't PS he wouldn't have made it as far as the football league.

I'm inclined to agree. How many times did PS sign him? 3/4?

That's going to make you think you need to prove yourself. It would for me.

Difficult one though, but I do think if his father wasn't PS he wouldn't have made it as far as the football league.

I hasn't stopped Alex Revell.

I disagree fully. Yes, there is no doubt he was of limited ability but he was by no means the worst player I've seen at Roots Hall - no way.

But how many of them had 10 years in the game being given chance after chance despite not being successful anywhere?

He was basically a pro footballer for so many years purely down to his dad. The proof is that now PS has no club, Blair can't find one either.

But how many of them had 10 years in the game being given chance after chance despite not being successful anywhere?

He was basically a pro footballer for so many years purely down to his dad. The proof is that now PS has no club, Blair can't find one either.

That's rubbish. PS doesn't have a club because he's old and has a degenerative illness. We were lucky to get him by all accounts because he had pretty much given hope of landing another management job, and my guess is that PS is enjoying his retirement.

Blair is 32 and coaching abroad. He was never a top class player but he could drop into non-league to continue his playing career but that doesn't make any sense. He's an intelligent player and person and so coaching does make sense, because as his playing career finishes he needs to begin something new.

The two things aren't really related, even though the two of them are.

It's hard to really say whether nepotism really had an impact on Blair's career - because you can't work out the counterfactual (what would have happened to Blair if he wasn't repeatedly signed by his dad). Some will believe that Blair was given opportunities above and beyond other players (i think that's true to an extent), and some won't.

Personally, I think Blair was a competent and intelligent player and you need a few in your squad to follow instructions and work hard. He was probably good for moral in some ways (being a nice smart guy) but bad in others (fancy being on the bench when he's starting?). He also probably was a bit of a link between the squad and management, which would be a complex relationship to maintain.

What's also true is that when you sign players, it's a gamble. However for PS signing Blair - he knew exactly what he was getting. By all accounts Blair was never on big bucks and I doubt he'd be one to grumble if he wasn't getting minutes.

One thing to add - I'm not really sure why he persisted in his early career at being a striker. He always struck me as someone who'd be better in a midfield role?

Blair is 32 and coaching abroad. He was never a top class player but he could drop into non-league to continue his playing career but that doesn't make any sense. He's an intelligent player and person and so coaching does make sense, because as his playing career finishes he needs to begin something new.

Nope, he tried that and could barely get a trial with teams 4 division below league 2.

I rest my case.

That's rubbish. PS doesn't have a club because he's old and has a degenerative illness. We were lucky to get him by all accounts because he had pretty much given hope of landing another management job, and my guess is that PS is enjoying his retirement.

The two things aren't really related, even though the two of them are.

It's hard to really say whether nepotism really had an impact on Blair's career - because you can't work out the counterfactual (what would have happened to Blair if he wasn't repeatedly signed by his dad). Some will believe that Blair was given opportunities above and beyond other players (i think that's true to an extent), and some won't.

Personally, I think Blair was a competent and intelligent player and you need a few in your squad to follow instructions and work hard. He was probably good for moral in some ways (being a nice smart guy) but bad in others (fancy being on the bench when he's starting?). He also probably was a bit of a link between the squad and management, which would be a complex relationship to maintain.

What's also true is that when you sign players, it's a gamble. However for PS signing Blair - he knew exactly what he was getting. By all accounts Blair was never on big bucks and I doubt he'd be one to grumble if he wasn't getting minutes.

Have to agree. Blairs hold up and link up play was fantastic, especially with his back to goal. Some of his cross field balls were a joy to watch. Always gave 100% and a model pro in my eyes

Back