• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blatter on race hate!

Platini wants 40 teams competing at the finals,The man is an idiot considering the qualifying stage consists of very low ranked countries who are only there for 2 reasons revenue and to be thrashed!,Time to have a qualifying stage for the minnows who progress to the actual qualifying group stage,The likes of San Marino and co should not be playing the bigger nations every year IMO.The recent England v Moldova was all in all a training session with the Moldovans content to sit back in the hope of keeping the score down,The paying punter shells out the cash to watch this type of match which is nothing more than a complete rip off,Fair enough if the FA were charging a tenner for the best seats and a couple of quid for the cheaper stalls..But they don't.

Actually Platini's reasons make sense. The idea is to increase the number of teams at the world cup so that Europe don't get a reduction in the number of countries that can compete. There are a lot of emerging countries that don't have a hope in hell of making it to the world cup at them moment. The Middle East have to have a play off against Oceania (IIRC). This usually means that Australia/New Zealand miss out. (Can't see the issue personally!) Given that FIFA have an aim of spreading football around the world, they are looking to give an extra place from these areas, at Europe's expense.

That, combined with the increase in the number of countries in Europe since the break up of the Soviet Union has made qualification from Europe much harder. Countries like Slovenia, Slovakia, Croatia etc are actually pretty competitive in a qualifying situation. More importantly, they deserve as much of a chance to qualify as Australia/New Zealand.

Platini is really protecting Europe's interests...which (let's fact it) he's paid to do.

I agree with him:stunned:.

Pointless fining or even forcing these clubs to play behind closed doors,They need to be banned from European competitions indefinitely until such times as their supporters cease their behaviour .

Do you also agree on his idea to make women's football more appealing? I bet you do :winking:

The Middle East have to have a play off against Oceania (IIRC).

Not if they finish ahead of the other Asian teams. Jordan now have a play-off against Uruguay, but they wouldn't have if they were better than Japan, South Korea, etc.

Actually Platini's reasons make sense. The idea is to increase the number of teams at the world cup so that Europe don't get a reduction in the number of countries that can compete. There are a lot of emerging countries that don't have a hope in hell of making it to the world cup at them moment. The Middle East have to have a play off against Oceania (IIRC). This usually means that Australia/New Zealand miss out. (Can't see the issue personally!) Given that FIFA have an aim of spreading football around the world, they are looking to give an extra place from these areas, at Europe's expense.

That, combined with the increase in the number of countries in Europe since the break up of the Soviet Union has made qualification from Europe much harder. Countries like Slovenia, Slovakia, Croatia etc are actually pretty competitive in a qualifying situation. More importantly, they deserve as much of a chance to qualify as Australia/New Zealand.

Platini is really protecting Europe's interests...which (let's fact it) he's paid to do.

Look at the men's/ladies FA cup,Both comps have qualifying rounds which gives every club a sporting chance of reaching the 1st proper,Based on that why not have the small nations enter their own standard groups which not only would the likes of SM have the chance of actually scoring a goal and the also rans will get the opportunity of playing with the big boys,Currently the likes of Wales have virtually zero chance of qualifying for the finals likewise N.Ire ,Scotland,and the ROI,Throw these into one group with the winners progressing into the proper qualifying group.

Europe has now got so many countries with half of them at least will never reach the finals so I fail to understand why Platini thinks he needs to save the European places,They either qualify on merit or fall by the wayside.

Look at the men's/ladies FA cup,Both comps have qualifying rounds which gives every club a sporting chance of reaching the 1st proper,Based on that why not have the small nations enter their own standard groups which not only would the likes of SM have the chance of actually scoring a goal and the also rans will get the opportunity of playing with the big boys,Currently the likes of Wales have virtually zero chance of qualifying for the finals likewise N.Ire ,Scotland,and the ROI,Throw these into one group with the winners progressing into the proper qualifying group.

Isn't that what we've just been through in the qualifying competition?

Europe has now got so many countries with half of them at least will never reach the finals so I fail to understand why Platini thinks he needs to save the European places,They either qualify on merit or fall by the wayside.

I'll remind you of that when only the teams that win their qualifying group make it to the world cup, and we come 2nd. Given where we are in the FIFA rankings at the moment there is a good chance that we could have Germany, France, Spain etc in our qualifying group next time around.

Not if they finish ahead of the other Asian teams. Jordan now have a play-off against Uruguay, but they wouldn't have if they were better than Japan, South Korea, etc.

I'm not sure of the logistics. However, the fact still remains that FIFA are looking to increase the number of countries from these regions at Europe's expense.

Isn't that what we've just been through in the qualifying competition?

I'll remind you of that when only the teams that win their qualifying group make it to the world cup, and we come 2nd. Given where we are in the FIFA rankings at the moment there is a good chance that we could have Germany, France, Spain etc in our qualifying group next time around.

The sponsors would be choking on their burgers:winking:.

Just looked at the FIFA European ranking and IMO it is farcical to allow some of the nations to step onto the same pitch as the stronger teams,They have to earn that honour by way of beating teams ranked around theirselves not just be given a money spinning group stage.

My suggestion would be similar to the FA Cup and FA Vase in that the small nations (under 5 million?) compete in the World Vase Trophy. Maybe the finalists could then get World Cup spots.

Good idea,

Maybe even have 2 world cups running at the same time,At least if England played in the weaker tournament they must surely reach the semi finals:stunned:

I like the idea, but those smaller nations would need to agree to it and you've got a turkeys voting for Christmas situation there. As ever, money comes in to it. At the moment, San Marino get drawn against a nation like England, Germany, Italy, etc in every qualifying competition. This means big TV money as no matter the opposition, people will tune in to watch the bigger national sides.

If San Marino's biggest game in a two year period is Malta then their TV revenue plummets, despite the fact they've got a chance of winning the occasional game.

I am seriously confused by a lot of comments:sad: I read comments about business and it being a results industry BUT it is sport and entertainment. I don't give two hoots if San Merino need TV money to pay for a lot of losers AND I want to watch competitive games; not 9 nil walk overs that are a waste of everyone's time etc. I don't go to The Hall to help my bank account (or Ron's) but to be entertained with (hopefully) a good game and if not then I will have the emotions of struggling to remain positive for the next game.

San Marino have an appalling playing record winning just once from over 100 games and conceding well over 400 goals,Their heaviest loss was against Germany 13 0 and their support is a joke with only 700 home fans from the total crowd of 3200 when they played N.Ire.

SM have played the top European teams on many many occasions and frankly do not deserve to be on the same pitch!,Imagine if Clacton Town every season were give a bye to the 3rd of the cup and then drawn against the very best in the prem...There would be outrage.

Until the paying public shun fixtures against these low ranked teams FIFA will never change their format,The FA would be screaming if Wembley had a crowd of under 10,000 for any England international .

My suggestion would be similar to the FA Cup and FA Vase in that the small nations (under 5 million?) compete in the World Vase Trophy. Maybe the finalists could then get World Cup spots.

Personally I think this is flawed. Don't forget that all the teams that compete in the FA Vase also compete in the FA Cup. So are you saying these countries should have two tournaments?

Personally I think this is flawed. Don't forget that all the teams that compete in the FA Vase also compete in the FA Cup. So are you saying these countries should have two tournaments?
It is an IDEA! At least with a World Cup Vase smaller countries could get to win matches and play at a more even level. A tournament host country may not be feasible but a similar to Chumps League idea with a prestigious final venue or home/away finals might generate interest and, for me, being part Scot & part Welsh I would love to see my countries have a shot at a competition we might be successful at.

It is an IDEA! At least with a World Cup Vase smaller countries could get to win matches and play at a more even level. A tournament host country may not be feasible but a similar to Chumps League idea with a prestigious final venue or home/away finals might generate interest and, for me, being part Scot & part Welsh I would love to see my countries have a shot at a competition we might be successful at.

You're still missing the point. Based on your analogy, these countries could still take part in the qualifying for the "full" world cup. So, are you saying they should be able to play in both?

Back