• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jan/16/blockbuster-uk-in-administration

Yet another high street store to hit the dust.Can't say I'm suprised.They closed down in Spain a few years ago now.

I am a little surprised actually as they seemed to be one of the few High Street brands to have looked at what was around the corner and tried to rebuild their business as an online brand. I watch a couple of films a week through Blockbuster as, for me, it's a better deal with more choice than the likes of LoveFilm and the dire Netflix, but I've never had a reason to go into their stores.

Before opening the link, I thought it was going to be just the stores and the main surprise would be that they don't appear to be separating the high street business from the online one.

Real shame for all concerned.

Can't say I'm surprised at this one. I'm actually surprised that they lasted this long. What with LoveFilm and Netflix now, I can't see many people still go in and rent a movie.

Apparently these type of chains are referred to as 'zombie' companies because rather than trying to save them we should let them die. Keeping them going is supposedly holding back the recovery as it stops new companies from forming, moving into high street premises, and creating new jobs.

Apparently these type of chains are referred to as 'zombie' companies because rather than trying to save them we should let them die. Keeping them going is supposedly holding back the recovery as it stops new companies from forming, moving into high street premises, and creating new jobs.

It seems this is a 50-50 problem with the company owners and the banks....Whilst the company can just about cover costs to stay afloat the bank are of course reluctant to lend them any more monies. How this can help anybody is beyond me. I thought the government wanted to increase growth in the country and were backing the banks. Surely this type thinking by the banks, although you can see their reasoning behind it will just make the country stagnate more. If it is the case that these Zombie companies are holding up what could be investment to so called "New ventures" then we are pretty much doomed as we await more and more company failures.

Add to that Sky Box Office and Virgin Media's on demand movies and I cant see why anyone would go to a store, then have to go back the next day to take it back.

Video rentals isnt a viable business anymore so no shock there.

What is interesting is that when the mines closed we had pickets and riots. Why arent Comet/Jessops/HMV/ Blockbuster staff not rising up and sticking it to the 'man' ? Boy how times change :smile:

Another irrelevent company in the age of digital online media.

Im surprised they lasted longer than HMV (just) to be honest, as at least with buying a CD, its only one journey to the shop. With a rental, you have to take it back, doubling the journey expense and time.

Although i agree with Cricko to an extent, something needs to be done to help ailing companies, those that do not fit with the modern competative business envioronment in a relevent way shouldnt be given help, as it is just throwing our money after bad.

As above, i expect the Blockbuster brand to continue as an wholly online business, but that doesnt help the 4000 odd staff who will be made unemployed.

Add to that Sky Box Office and Virgin Media's on demand movies and I cant see why anyone would go to a store, then have to go back the next day to take it back.

Video rentals isnt a viable business anymore so no shock there.

What is interesting is that when the mines closed we had pickets and riots. Why arent Comet/Jessops/HMV/ Blockbuster staff not rising up and sticking it to the 'man' ? Boy how times change :smile:

Not everywhere.There were pickets and demos against the recent decision to close Virgin Megastores in France.There have been similar street protests here in Spain against Bankinter's redundancies etc

It seems this is a 50-50 problem with the company owners and the banks....Whilst the company can just about cover costs to stay afloat the bank are of course reluctant to lend them any more monies. How this can help anybody is beyond me. I thought the government wanted to increase growth in the country and were backing the banks. Surely this type thinking by the banks, although you can see their reasoning behind it will just make the country stagnate more. If it is the case that these Zombie companies are holding up what could be investment to so called "New ventures" then we are pretty much doomed as we await more and more company failures.

Thing is, if the banks were to lend them money, and then the company go under, the banks would be pilloried for losing money on dodgy debt

Back