• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blue Boar

In NewQuey, a few years ago, on recommendation, i tried Cornish Lager from a local brewer, and certainly that was a good, refreshing pint AND not at all like the huge brands. Big isn't always better.
I am constantly surprised how often local free houses ignore or decline local breweries such as Leigh or St George's.

The old original Blue Boar was a massive Public House in its day, in the photo below marked as dated 1905 but I believe it is actually 1923 (More later) as you can see the Gaiety Cinema next to the massive Blue Boar Dance Hall (Both Demolished 1998/99)
BlueBoar1923.jpg

In the aerial photo below, you can see clearly the old massive Dance Hall, and the old Cinema (White Building) next to it. You can see the old buildings on the East side of Victoria Avenue which were demolished to allow Victoria Avenue to be made into a Dual Carriageway, and the old pub stables to the South.

Roots Hall 1998.jpg

The cinema next to the Blue Boar must be in the running for the record for the most name changes in such a short time! It opened in December 1917 as the Star Cinema, run by Mr. J. Holloway. It was a very basic structure, but did have a small balcony. In 1920 it became the Priory Cinema (prop: H. W. Elston), in 1923 the Gaiety Cinema (Confirms date of first pic) (prop: B. S. C. Thomson), in 1925 the Ideal Cinema, in 1926 the Gibbs Cinema (prop: S. C. Gibbs) and in 1928 the Picture House. It closed in 1932, never having been converted to sound.

The building was used as a social club, for discos and, finally, a gymnasium, before laying derelict for many years. It was finally demolished in April 1999. Housing now occupies the site.

Star Cinema Prittlewell.jpg

The old original Blue Boar was a massive Public House in its day, in the photo below marked as dated 1905 but I believe it is actually 1923 (More later) as you can see the Gaiety Cinema next to the massive Blue Boar Dance Hall (Both Demolished 1998/99)
View attachment 18620

In the aerial photo below, you can see clearly the old massive Dance Hall, and the old Cinema (White Building) next to it. You can see the old buildings on the East side of Victoria Avenue which were demolished to allow Victoria Avenue to be made into a Dual Carriageway.

View attachment 18621

The cinema next to the Blue Boar must be in the running for the record for the most name changes in such a short time! It opened in December 1917 as the Star Cinema, run by Mr. J. Holloway. It was a very basic structure, but did have a small balcony. In 1920 it became the Priory Cinema (prop: H. W. Elston), in 1923 the Gaiety Cinema (Confirms date of first pic) (prop: B. S. C. Thomson), in 1925 the Ideal Cinema, in 1926 the Gibbs Cinema (prop: S. C. Gibbs) and in 1928 the Picture House. It closed in 1932, never having been converted to sound.

The building was used as a social club, for discos and, finally, a gymnasium, before laying derelict for many years. It was finally demolished in April 1999. Housing now occupies the site.

View attachment 18622
Anyone know what year the second photo is from?

Anyone know what year the second photo is from?

I think it is 1966ish (Edit: not 1998 as originally posted) just before Victoria Avenue was made into a Dual Carriageway and going by the cars, I did put that date on the pic tag/name

View attachment 18622
I'm sure I remember going to discos in here in the late 70s/early 80s - back in the days where you could be out late at night in the area as a young woman, and feel safe!

Those houses on the left were long gone by then. Plus the cars would suggest your a decade out....Not a Capri or mk3 Cortina in site
The houses and shops were being boarded up and being demolished through 1968 and into 1969 as I started travelling through there for school by early 70's the dual carriageway was open.

Real Ale on in Blue Boar, on a trial basis (Not Today)
Watch this space but should be for Bromley game. Elephant School. Aussie Blonde, or
Brentwood Blonde.
They are weakish beers 4.0% and 3.8%. Both local beers Brewed in South Essex.
Hopefully this will become a permenant. helping Local Pubs and Local Brewery's.
Will keep you all informed, what is happening. Thanks True Blue.

Back