• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blue Boar

I can remember going into the 'large' bar to the right of todays entrance door, on a fri night after a home game early 80's, when they had a group playing.
A friend, long ago now, was a friend/acquaintance of Marc Bolan and he always maintained that Marc played in the Blue Boar as part of another band before going on to front T Rex.

I have never come across any firm evidence but it's one of those urban myths you wish might be true.

they did have bands in the snooker room which fronted West Street during the pub rock days. I only went there once and saw a band called Charlie and the Wide Boys. Oliver Trigg demolished Reynolds a 14th15th? century house called Reynolds (the fireplace is in the Museum) to build the snooker hall. The snooker hall was demolished when the flats were built and they are called Reynolds House.

The houses and shops were being boarded up and being demolished through 1968 and into 1969 as I started travelling through there for school by early 70's the dual carriageway was open.

Yes that all makes sense.

The Blue Boar 1966.jpg
Aerial view of the Original Blue Boar with shops (Garons Bakers) on the left to the East before Victoria Avenue was made into a Dual Carriageway.

Garons Opposite The Blue Boar 1.jpg
Garons Bakers that were opposite The Boar Boar to the East, before Victoria Avenue was made into a Dual Carriageway.

Garons Opposite The Blue Boar 2.jpg
Garons Bakers that were opposite The Boar Boar to the East, before Victoria Avenue was made into a Dual Carriageway.

Garons Opposite The Blue Boar 3.jpg
Garons Bakers that were opposite The Boar Boar to the East being demolished to make way for the Dual Carriageway.

Garons Opposite The Blue Boar 4.jpg
Garons Bakers that were opposite The Boar Boar to the East being demolished to make way for the Dual Carriageway., The Blue Boar on the right​

The original Blue Boar was a massive Public House, the existing bar layout is where the original Public Bar was. Above the bar was a long trophy cabinet full of Southend United Cups, Trophies, and memorabilia. The Public Bar had bare wooden floor boards covered in sawdust to mop up any spilt drinks. There was also a Saloon Bar which was carpeted roughly where the Toilets are now.

Upstairs above the current bar on the 1st floor was a pool/games room with about 5/6 pool tables with views over Victoria Avenue this had a similar foot print to the existing bar downstairs. there was also a small bar up there and it was entered by a staircase from the back of the Public Bar.

The Dance Hall was between the existing Blue Boar building and the Cinema (White Building) in the first photo. You can still see the arch on the side of the current Blue Boar building, this arch was the main entrance that lead to the massive stairs that took you up to the 1st floor Dance Floor, and also the entrance to the ground floor Dance Floor. There were bars in both Dance Halls.

I remember going to a Stump gig in the 'large' room in 1986.
Love a bit of C86.

I promoted gigs there for a few months in the early 90's when it was Reids. Senseless Things, Family Cat, Basti, New Fast Automatic Daffodils. Then it shut down so I moved on to the Esplanade for a while then moved out of the area.

Good to have you back @Another Surrey Shrimper , you have had a few away days around your area?
Have you seen the apartments/ hotel on the site of The Esplanade?
Thanks

I’ve been to Wealdstone, Halifax, Boreham, Dagenham and I’ll be at Woking and Maidenhead of the Feb games.
So I’ve seen 3 losses and a 0-0. The draw was actually my least favourite, seemed to have no positives about the experience (apart from a point I guess). Halifax was interesting and despite losing 3-0 as it felt like real football and Halifax as a town has a bit of character and history.

I did know the Esplanade had been knocked down but I don’t recall seeing it since, probably been past it without registering ‘that was the spot’. Wasn’t a great gig venue tbh but it was what was available and the people running it were pretty easy to deal with. Great spot right on the seafront but it felt convenient rather than somewhere that you fell in love with.

A friend, long ago now, was a friend/acquaintance of Marc Bolan and he always maintained that Marc played in the Blue Boar as part of another band before going on to front T Rex.

I have never come across any firm evidence but it's one of those urban myths you wish might be true.
I am sure that had Marc played there it would of been known . Fact David Bowie played down Snakes Lane in69

Marc Bolan played with a group called "John's Children" before he formed to fronted T Rex, interesting stuff on here about it.

Link

I am sure that had Marc played there it would of been known . Fact David Bowie played down Snakes Lane in69
David Bowie played at The Cricketers venue as well, before he was famous.

1*wUofGTaRabnvDEg4wTitlA.jpeg

Back