• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
According to Chris Phillips.

Young winger who was at Doncaster and now signed for Rangers for an undisclosed fee.

Can't believe that we were ever very close, given that he was quite public in wanting to play for Mark Warburton again (who he played for at Brentford and Watford).

Few interesting points though:
1) A fee was paid - probably not a big one but surprising if we were competing on that front. Unless that is, the fee is why we didn't get him.
2) Brown is looking at wingers, Hurst (who was left out at the weekend) or Weston on the way out? He can also play behind the striker, perhaps in place of Payne but would think that with Payne and Wordsworth when he's back we've got options there too.

Joke. We were never going to get him in a millions years.
Two players from the seventies spring to mind that we were about to sign Alan Taylor of Rochdale was about to sign for us but went to West Ham , and Colin Lee of Torquay was signing for us but went to Spurs , then in the 80s John Fashenuewas about to sign and went to Wimbledon .

Our 'bench' is full of wingers , we don't play them so don't see the point.

We miss out on signings because we are amongst a number of clubs who pay little to agents.
Agents have the influence over players rather than managers.
This is one of the reasons that we fail to sign players early in pre-season and end up picking from what is left.
Agents do good things for players, protecting their finances etc, but they are a stumbling block for clubs like Southend.
Wish it was different, but this is the market today in football.
We have done well to make the signings we have made over the years, but we do seem to miss a lot of good ones.

We miss out on signings because we are amongst a number of clubs who pay little to agents.
Agents have the influence over players rather than managers.
This is one of the reasons that we fail to sign players early in pre-season and end up picking from what is left.
Agents do good things for players, protecting their finances etc, but they are a stumbling block for clubs like Southend.
Wish it was different, but this is the market today in football.:angry:
We have done well to make the signings we have made over the years, but we do seem to miss a lot of good ones.
In 2013/14, we spent the 5th highest amount on agency fees in League 2, and that was more than 11 League 1 clubs. We're not the biggest players but I don't really see why we should be struggling to compete.

It is good to see us setting high standards on the calibre of players we want to bring in.

No huge loss for me. Good player but not really what we need at the moment. We wouldn't have played a style that really suited Forrester anyway, as he's your typical number 10 who wants to play in a 4-2-3-1 type formation. Signing him would also more than likely have hindered Payne's development which would have been a bad move in my opinion.

Concentrate on getting a striker in with some pace who can finish a chance. Seem to have an abundance of target men/fox in the box type players, but no Jamie Vardy-esque players who have pace, stamina, want to chase everything down and sit on the defender's shoulder to latch on to any knock ons.

Obviously I'm not expecting us to sign Vardy and I know people always throw out the "these players are in demand so we'd have to pay a fortune for them etc.", but I find it hard to believe there isn't a good player out there with a half decent scoring record, good ball carrier, with good pace and work rate who could compliment Hunt or Mooney. Even if we have to drop down a couple of leagues to find him.

If I could turn back the years, I'd say Wayne Gray is the type of player who we should be after at the moment and who I feel could make the biggest difference.

So we go after another winger, most weeks we only play one anyway and on Saturday decided to play none. PB, our top scorer has six goals, if we need to strengthen anywhere it is a pacey forward

Forrester was no better than we already have here anyway, lucky escape if you ask me:smile:

So we go after another winger, most weeks we only play one anyway and on Saturday decided to play none. PB, our top scorer has six goals, if we need to strengthen anywhere it is a pacey forward

Collymore was a winger until we signed him.

Blues miss out on Forrester

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown has revealed he just missed out on bringing attacking midfielder Harry Forrester to the club.

More...

Why go to the Echo with who we missed out on! I'd rather hear about who we get. Hope this isn't just a smokescreen to look as though we're trying, then get nobody!

Why go to the Echo with who we missed out on! I'd rather hear about who we get. Hope this isn't just a smokescreen to look as though we're trying, then get nobody!

It's the same story every transfer window. Was Matt Tubbs last year, Izale Mcleod this summer, now Forrester.
We were never going to get Mcleod. One of the top goal scorers of league one was always going to require a sizeable fee, something we could never afford and again Brown went on and on about how he wanted him, same story here.
I honestly believe, as you say, it's a smokescreen. Just makes the fans think we are doing something and yet we all no if we sign someone it will be a youngster from a prem side at the end of January.
I don't have a problem with that kind of player but please don't go on about players you never had a chance of signing.

Back