• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues new stadium in 3 years

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
.....or so said the Echo billboard outside the newsagent's as I went past. I'm assuming this is the late edition of the Echo as there is nothing on the site atm....anyone shed any light over the article in question?

.....or so said the Echo billboard outside the newsagent's as I went past. I'm assuming this is the late edition of the Echo as there is nothing on the site atm....anyone shed any light over the article in question?

Probably just an old notice on the billboard from 3/6/9/12 years ago.

Whot the 3 sided staduim with the main side holding 8000 people missing,whot a mess thats:thumbdown: going to look like!!!

From the Echo :
Southend United could be in a new home in time for the 2014/15 season. Sainsburys,which will bankroll the majority of the Fossetts Farm project, wants to open the doors of its new store at Roots Hall within three years.
But under the legal agreement, signed with Southend Council, the supermarket chain must ensure the Blues new stadium is built and ready to be used before it can welcome its first shoppers.
A Sainsburys spokesman said ' The aim is to open by mid to late 2014. There is a legal agreement linking the new store with the Fossetts Farm development. The stadium has to have a safety certificate,meaning it could be used immediately,before we can open the store.'
Southend United was given permission in February to build a three sided stadium,with a capacity of 14,000 at Fossetts Farm. Club chairman Ron Martin has repeatedly made claims to fans about when they cold expect to see the project finished. In April, he announced the club would be playing at Fossetts Farm by next season.
However,it is Sainsburys which will stump up the cash for the new stadium,in return for the right to build on Roots Hall. That puts the supermarket chain in the driving seat for determining when work will start and when it is likely to finish. The 2014 deadline is the first to be placed on the project by Sainsburys ,which finally submitted its planning for Roots Hall last month. The supermarket proposals include a 70,000 sqm store,604 parking spaces,270 flats and the promise of 350 new jobs.
Although Southend Council has already indicated its support for the project and granted outline planning permission this summer,the planning process is still likely to take a minimum of three months. Sainsburys also still need to buy key sites around Roots Hall,including shops,flats in St Mary's Courtand the old Prospects College building,before it can start building.
The spokesman said 'The plans are progressing well and we are pleased to have the chance to submit our application for consideration.'

Blues fans are refusing to get over excited about Sainsburys deadline for a new stadium. Over the past decade,Southend United's supporters have endured numerous promises about moving to Fossetts Farm. Jamie Forsyth,co-editor of the All At Sea fanzine,said there was still uncertainty about the deal to buy the Prospects College building and other shops along Victoria Avenue. He added ' Fans will not take any notice of this date. They have heard it all before. They are still waiting for Kevin Maher's testimonial to be played at Fossetts Farm in 2008. Realistically,2014 is more than possible if work starts early next year,but that is still uncertain.'

Apologies for any spelling mistakes in the above- my typing isn't the best!

We're the mud bank, we're the mud bank, we're the mud bank from roots hall! This stadium is definitely going to get built, Mohsni told me!

There is a piece in the Echo today in which a 'spokesman' for the club says we will be in a year earlier then the above article!

There is a piece in the Echo today in which a 'spokesman' for the club says we will be in a year earlier then the above article!

Better get the JCB's in then shouldn't we otherwise we won't be on time.

Actually, on this, there was one of those little announcements in the classified section of the (I think) Yellow Ad last week with the order for the demolition of RH. You know, the ones that the public then have a certain number of days to object to. Don't know if anyone else noticed it?

Actually, on this, there was one of those little announcements in the classified section of the (I think) Yellow Ad last week with the order for the demolition of RH. You know, the ones that the public then have a certain number of days to object to. Don't know if anyone else noticed it?

I think the idea with these announcements is that not too many people do notice them.

Back