• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Interesting six minute interview on Blues Player from Phil Brown.

He points out how the biggest disappointment at his time in Southend is "not having a new stadium yet" as "this was one of the main reasons why [he] joined the football club." Seems like quite strong words and hope it's not an indication he's becoming disenfranchised.

Interesting six minute interview on Blues Player from Phil Brown.

He points out how the biggest disappointment at his time in Southend is "not having a new stadium yet" as "this was one of the main reasons why [he] joined the football club." Seems like quite strong words and hope it's not an indication he's becoming disenfranchised.

The main reason he joined the club was because he had been out of football management for about eighteen months.

The main reason he joined the club was because he had been out of football management for about eighteen months.

Maybe.But I thought PB made a good point about bringing in a much better strike force into the club than the one he "inherited",including of course the much maligned BBBC.:winking:

True Mfurok, but no doubt he was spun a tale about a great new stadium. I'm no great fan of PB but it would be a bad thing if he were to leave us. More power to his elbow in applying some gentle pressure to Ron Martin - how difficult can it be to raise £25 million.......?

Phil's mention of stadium progress just may be a precursor to Ron announcing imminent progress on that front. After all, they are pretty much a double act it seems to me and I doubt that interview would have been broadcast without Ron giving it the nod first. We shall see.

Somebody posted am article the other day on the shrimperzone FB page that indicated that the ground will have flats built in to thebstadium itself which will be rented and provide an ongoing income.

It is such rubbish regarding his expectant stance on the stadium. How can that be such a key factor in his appointment. It would of been a bonus and nothing else. He was linked to, but didn't get, the Hartlepool job before us. They didn't have a new stadium in the pipeline. That was the kind of jobs he was getting linked to. At times it seems like he tries to make it sound like he was really dropping in standards by picking us specificly. Like the stadium was the only reason, 'he picked us'. I like Brown but I do feel sometimes that he forgets how lucky he is to even have a job. There's plenty of managers out there out of work, who are of a higher caliber than him. New stadium or not, he's been backed with finances that Luggy didn't receive. I reiterate, he should think himself lucky.

I agree that he should think himself lucky. But don't forget that he played for Hartlepool for seven years and he's a Geordie so a job with the monkey hangers would have been very appealing to him. They do have plans to expand the Victoria Park ground.

Is this interview available to hear, in some form, for us non-subscribers?

I agree that he should think himself lucky. But don't forget that he played for Hartlepool for seven years and he's a Geordie so a job with the monkey hangers would have been very appealing to him. They do have plans to expand the Victoria Park ground.

He is from South Sheilds so that makes him a Sandancer

Maybe I have either a longer memory or a less accurate memory than some of the other posters on this thread, but I am certain that Phil Brown stated, when he was first appointed as our manager, that the prospect of having a new stadium was a major influence on his joining us because he saw it as an indication of the Chairman's positive ambitions to take the club to a higher level (or words to that effect). I can easily understand why he should be raising the issue again now, if he was promised a new stadium effectively in return for developing a more successful team. He must feel that he is delivering his side of the bargain but that the Chairman has not delivered his.

Maybe I have either a longer memory or a less accurate memory than some of the other posters on this thread, but I am certain that Phil Brown stated, when he was first appointed as our manager, that the prospect of having a new stadium was a major influence on his joining us because he saw it as an indication of the Chairman's positive ambitions to take the club to a higher level (or words to that effect). I can easily understand why he should be raising the issue again now, if he was promised a new stadium effectively in return for developing a more successful team. He must feel that he is delivering his side of the bargain but that the Chairman has not delivered his.
I remember this as well, it was one of the first things he mentioned when first joining us (can't find the bloody article though!).

I remember this as well, it was one of the first things he mentioned when first joining us (can't find the bloody article though!).

That's strange.

You mean to say that one of the first things he mentioned wasn't that he had been out of football management for roughly eighteen months and in his previous job he had been summarily sacked after losing in the FA Cup to a lower division team after watching his side slip down the league.

How bizarre.

That's strange.

You mean to say that one of the first things he mentioned wasn't that he had been out of football management for roughly eighteen months and in his previous job he had been summarily sacked after losing in the FA Cup to a lower division team after watching his side slip down the league.

How bizarre.

Yes,yes.But do you agree that the strikers are better now than 4 years ago or not? :smile:

Yes,yes.But do you agree that the strikers are better now than 4 years ago or not? :smile:

Try reading my earlier post.

I am very grateful to Ron for providing the large amounts of cash for our excellent strike force.

Sadly Ron doesn't pick the team because if he did I doubt that only one would have started on Saturday.

I guess it's difficult to keep up from San Cugat.

Better come over quick before the Bury game!

Back