• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Blues receive apology for disallowed FA Cup goal

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United have received an apology for their disallowed goal in the FA Cup clash with Barnsley earlier this month.

More...

Shame they can't give us some compensation money for the loss of prize money.

What a bloody joke that is......
Difficult to know how to feel, isn’t it?

Once you get past the injustice of the actual incident, the nature of the game means we can hardly go and replay the game. And if it comes down to compensation for wrong decisions, it’ll never end.

Like it or loathe it, decisions will go for us and against us as they will for other clubs, but I do like it that the FA has at least made the gesture.

It buggers belief it's taken all this time to admit oh sorry we made a mistake. But no mention of some sort of compensation.its just away to say we cocked but tough you got to put with our incompetence

We had aperfectly good equalisere disallowed at Yoville the year before.

They should discipline the officials involved .... Perfect punishment = make them officiate 10 Colu games on the bounce

The debate on this ran to many pages on the Barnsley fans board and some of the reasons they reckoned it wasn't a goal were fanciful to say the least. Why they needed to bang on about it when they had won the game is beyond me, but I felt I should revisit their thread and post the Echo article. Obviously I only did it to settle the argument:Moon:..........so far one of theirs has asked for documentary evidence, FFS.

Like it or loathe it, decisions will go for us and against us as they will for other clubs, but I do like it that the FA has at least made the gesture.

Trouble is G, that we seem to get more than our fair share against....and what gesture has actually been made that makes a difference? "Sorry" doesn't earn you any bloomin' money!

Once the mistake was made would people prefer that the FA was just silent?

People make mistakes, we don’t do it deliberately, it’s just a fact of life. Yes- this mistake may have been avoidable with better communication between the officials, who knows

I actually think it's quite refreshing that officials are owning up to mistakes. I'm all for it.

Nothing wrong with them being made. These things happen and they are frustrating. However, there's nothing worse than the Referee's Union backing their official even when they get it wrong.

Don't forget we had a stroke of luck at the same end against Coventry when a goal wasn't given.

The only disappointing thing here is that the assistant is saying he thought it hit someone on the line and the referee originally said that the goalscorer was offside. That really should have been squared off when they spoke to each other.

Last edited:
The lineman was stood at the corner flag (it was a corner). There is no way the linesman side on would see if it deflected off a player on the line- the initial story was the goalscorer was off-side- unfortunately now beginning to look like its that they didn't know the rules rather than just a error of opinion.

You would like to think this couldn’t be so but given the rest of their performance which at the best was shocking you fear the worst

Just hope it evens out- nothing will be done which is why standards are so desperate in the first place.

I actually think it's quite refreshing that officials are owning up to mistakes. I'm all for it.

Nothing wrong with them being made. These things happen and they are frustrating. However, there's nothing worse than the Referee's Union backing their official even when they get it wrong.

Don't forget we had a stroke of luck at the same end against Coventry when a goal wasn't given.

The only disappointing thing here is that the assistant is saying he thought it hit someone on the line and the referee originally said that the goalscorer was offside. That really should have been squared off when they spoke to each other.

None of the 4 officials owned up to a mistake. The observer at the game was the one that said it should have been a goal

Trouble is G, that we seem to get more than our fair share against....and what gesture has actually been made that makes a difference? "Sorry" doesn't earn you any bloomin' money!

Mistakes happen Kay and the FA have put their hands up. As for more than our fair share, of course it seems that way to us. Probably isn’t as true as you’d think though and I bet fans at every club feel the same way.

Short of disciplining the officials or demoting them, etc... what do you propose should now happen?

Back