• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Blues receive apology for disallowed FA Cup goal

I just can't see the value of an apology when there is no form of recompense. It is like a judge saying he was wrong to sentence an innocent man to 20 years imprisonment, AFTER the man has served the 20 years. If anything I think it makes it feel worse. I don't feel a warm glow that an injustice has been proved to have been committed. No, I would rather not know.

We would in all likelihood have lost the replay at Barnsley anyway. Having no midweek game this week could be beneficial for our threadbare squad.

Would could have gone on to win 4-3. Ron would be happy and actively seeking a number 9 for January. Their would be no sack CP thread and because of the butterfly effect we would be playing Arsenal away and the BBC would be planning to have it as their main match.

I get they make mistakes but watching it live I absolutely knew that was not off-side. If the lino said there was Southend players on the line, the ref could have easily said it didn't hit any of them. Instead they gave a decision on something neither of them seen and the Barnsley players barely murmured when it hit the net.

I just can't see the value of an apology when there is no form of recompense. It is like a judge saying he was wrong to sentence an innocent man to 20 years imprisonment, AFTER the man has served the 20 years. If anything I think it makes it feel worse. I don't feel a warm glow that an injustice has been proved to have been committed. No, I would rather not know.

No offence mate, but an incorrect offside call is hardly in the same league as an innocent man serving a 20 year stretch.

Well done for apologising.

We probably get as many bad decisions in our favour as against, but those ones are pretty easy to forget!

No offence mate, but an incorrect offside call is hardly in the same league as an innocent man serving a 20 year stretch.

I've played against Chelmsford prison in the Wednesday league. you will be surprised what can happen when a lifer is ruled off-side

Well done for apologising.

We probably get as many bad decisions in our favour as against, but those ones are pretty easy to forget!
Don’t think that’s been the case this season. A lot more big decisions have gone against us than for us, certianly hasn’t evened itself out yet.

I know they assess the match officials bit no idea if they are officials too

I'm pretty sure someone spoke to Matt Donohue away at Port Vale the other year and he said he was one of the team of assessors that evening.

I think I'd be surprised if they're not.contracted to the FA, in truth, Dave.

Last edited:

Indeed, I remember Tilly saying he received a letter of apology after a particularly dreadful ref display away at Swindon when Christophe was sent off.

And to answer @South Bank Hank , I would like a system whereby refs have a "suitability assessment" kind of thing, if they are assessed beneath a certain level on a certain number of games over the season or accumulate too many "mistakes", then they are demoted. Of course, there may already be something like this in place.

Outrageous, deplorable, disgusting, unacceptable, incompetent!! I've lost my thread now. Am I referring to the ref or the team? Hey ho.

Alas these things happen in football. In actual fact they add to the game. If we sanitised the sport and made everything indisputable, the fans would have very little to chirp about through the week.

If you really want ref's to improve, they would need less to adjudge. That would mean stopping the players from being such cheats and constantly trying to deceive the ref. Good luck with that one!

I've played against Chelmsford prison in the Wednesday league. you will be surprised what can happen when a lifer is ruled off-side

When enjoying their hospitality, Tony Adams wasn't allowed to play but was the "club" linesman. Obviously good at the tight offside calls.

I'm pretty sure someone spoke to Matt Donohue away at Port Vale the other year and he said he was one of the team of assessors that evening.

I think I'd be surprised if they're not.contracted to the FA, in truth, Dave.

I'd be very surprised if Matt Donohue were assessing Football League referees back then unless it was part of his own development, especially if you're talking the most recent game when Lee Probert was in charge!

I think all that stuff is organised and paid for by the PGMO.

I believe he was assisting/under training, Mick.

It was the 3-1 defeat in 2015-16 under PB on the Friday evening.

Back