• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

McQueen had a great escape from saints and will speed up the line like a bullet.

Is this an addition to the squad or a replacement for one leaving soon???

As normal there is confusion about where he actually plays. He can play left or right wing although his preferred position is attacking midfield behind the strikers. That said this year having been on the bench for their Europa Cup tie he has played 8 times for the U21s in the U21 Premier league scoring 4 times (including twice against Chelsea).

If he is coming as a winger then we have now five in a side that sometimes plays two but often one or none..
So I think we have to assume at least one of Hurst, Worrall, McLaughlin and Weston are on their way out as even if he plays in the 'hole' he would clearly be cover for either flank.

Signed a 4 year contract in 2014 so obviously pretty highly rated and Saints have a very good track record of developing their own talent.

From the southampton forum:

McQueen's always looked good when I've seen him. Certainly better than most of the players he's playing against in the under 21s. Surprised he hasnt made a few sub appearances or gone out on loan to a decent League One or maybe Championship side. Probably hasnt cos our other players arent being played though!

Well seems Worrall wants to head back north, Hurst has been poor for over a year now, Mclauglin seems to be a crock and Weston is not a goal threat at all. Seems like this lad can play on the wing or could play as part of a front three.

Blues set to sign McQueen

SOUTHEND United are close to signing winger Sam McQueen from Southampton, Echosport understands.

More...

I hope he is a diamond but as he is virtually untried at any level I would not dare to guess his usefulness. Unlike a Britt that was placed in lower leagues and worked his way to league standard. Jason Williams is a veteran compared to McQueen. Maybe he will be dynamite. At this stage of the season I would have liked to have seen some level of performance and not just promise from anyone that is set to help us. I await, with hope, to be surprised.

As normal there is confusion about where he actually plays. He can play left or right wing although his preferred position is attacking midfield behind the strikers. That said this year having been on the bench for their Europa Cup tie he has played 8 times for the U21s in the U21 Premier league scoring 4 times (including twice against Chelsea).

If he is coming as a winger then we have now five in a side that sometimes plays two but often one or none..
So I think we have to assume at least one of Hurst, Worrall, McLaughlin and Weston are on their way out as even if he plays in the 'hole' he would clearly be cover for either flank.

Signed a 4 year contract in 2014 so obviously pretty highly rated and Saints have a very good track record of developing their own talent.

McLaughlin and Weston are injured and were not part of the bust up.

Must be highly rated if he signed a 4 year deal.

It would be great to get a decent relationship with saints as they have one of the best youth set ups in the premier league.

Their kids get games and we get classy youth players. Win win

I hope he is a diamond but as he is virtually untried at any level I would not dare to guess his usefulness. Unlike a Britt that was placed in lower leagues and worked his way to league standard. Jason Williams is a veteran compared to McQueen. Maybe he will be dynamite. At this stage of the season I would have liked to have seen some level of performance and not just promise from anyone that is set to help us. I await, with hope, to be surprised.

''Jason Williams is a veteran compared to McQueen''- really?
McQueen has played 50 times in the Premiership U21s (slightly higher level than our U21s) and has been on the bench earlier in this season for the Europa Cup. He is part of the Southampton first team squad which again is probably somewhat more promising than being an unused member of our first team squad.

Of course no guarantee of success but he's no kid - 21 in a couple of weeks and has netted 4 in 8 in the Premiership U21s this season

This only makes sense if one of either hurst, Weston or Worrall is on the way out. Hopefully hurst is off for a small fee and McQueen is a back up option

Doubt he is coming as a back up- there was talk to him going out to the Championship on loan earlier this season- of course no guarantee he will feature regularly but I suspect that's what is anticipated at the start..

Back