• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BOGMISH 1:5 Clinching the title v winning the play-offs

What's the greater moment in Southend history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Our 5th tie of the first round is a real heavyweight affair. I probably should have left it until after a defeat to cheer us all up, because these two games can't help but make you grin.

In the home corner we have Ayrshire Blue's nomination of probably the greatest ever scuffed shot: Wayne Gray's late effort against Bristol City to clinch the League One title ahead of our inbred neighbours.

In the neutral corner we have Pickled Seal's nomination of Duncan Jupp steaming forward at the Millennium Stadium and getting onto the end of Freddy Eastwood's perfect pass to score his first goal for a decade and clinch our first promotion in just as long.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your memories, you-tube clip and votes please.

Was it City or Rovers??

Has to be Cardiff though! We were already promoted with Gray's - so just the icing on the cake there.

Was it City or Rovers??

Has to be Cardiff though! We were already promoted with Gray's - so just the icing on the cake there.

But what icing!

I think I'm leaning towards Jupp (although it was actually Freddy who scored the goal that promoted us) because we'd been without success for so long. I think winning the title was the far bigger achievement though.

Definitely was City btw.

But what icing!

I think I'm leaning towards Jupp (although it was actually Freddy who scored the goal that promoted us) because we'd been without success for so long. I think winning the title was the far bigger achievement though.

Definitely was City btw.

The icing was going up as champs vs going up in second place..

Yeah, but in ten or twenty years' time when you look at the honours the club has won it will say League One Champions 2005/06.

Promotions are fairly regular occurrences (think that was my 5th promotion, but only title) but in 90 years we've only won two titles. It's the most prestigious honour we've ever won.

Real tough one this, and would have been a decent bet for the final match.

I've gone for Juppy at the Millenium Stadium though. I'd been to both the LDV finals at the ground, and travelled up hoping and praying it would be 3rd time lucky. Eastwood had been on fire all season, and with the likes of Maher, Gower and Bentley in the side I travelled with confidence. We'd been stuck in that god awful division since I'd started following Southend.

I had tears in my eyes when Juppy stroked the ball into the back of the net. Pure emotion and joy. What he was doing up there I have no idea, but I'm glad he was.

The Bristol City game would have won any other match up in this competition and is my 2nd favourite moment as a Southend fan, unfortunately the first was the play-off final win.

Eastwood would have been sold in the summer and we'd still have been in L2 now.......if we are lucky.
So Cardiff, it was all about getting out of L2.

Freddy had already done the damage in Cardiff but the feeling of winning the league was out of this world. Gray V BC for me.

Wasn't at Cardiff, but was at Roots Hall to see Gray's goal and to celebrate being champions, so it gets my vote.

Very tough one this but I obviously have to back my vote.

With us being the bookies favourites to be relegated at the start of that season, for us to turn around and not only win promotion but to win it was a remarkable achievement.

Of course made all that bit sweeter with that goal pipping the Ewe's to the title.

Couldn't find the goal but these were some great scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTqJzCW1f4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQAR89pea6A&feature=related

Really tough one to call as I said, as both are right up there in my all time favourite Southend moments.

just seeing juppy tearing down the wing i knew he was going to score. still gives me a massive grin and that's why i support the shrimpers.

We were up with Freddy's goal - at that point, Lincoln City were a beaten side. Juppy's was the icing on the cake.

However, winning the League One title remains the best trophy (in terms of accomplishments) that this club has ever won - and that's why Wayne's goal is the more important one for me.

I've never been more delirious than when Pele's scuffed shot hit the back of the Bristol net to cap what had been an absolutely remarkable season. We were favourites to go down having gone up through the play-offs, but made the League seem easy. We went on a run of 8 straight victories, culminating in turning Forest over in front of the Sky Cameras, might I add, and more importantly, stuffed Col Ewe home and away and stole the title.

Winning the title is the best achievement this club has ever had and it capped off a fantastic season and a fantastic career of Shaun Leonard Goater.

The pain to lose in the playoffs would be 1,000,000 % worse than not winning the league!

Spot on.

Don't get me wrong I had a tear in my eye when Maher lifted the League One trophy but because I was stewarding that game I was slightly detached from the experience (although it didn't stop me celebrating like a madman when Gray scored!!) Whereas the Play-off Final remains the best day of my life as a Southend fan thus far!

Last edited:
Back