• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What's the greater moment in Southend history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Haven't time for a big write-up for this one, but our third tie pits two spectacular goals against each other.

With home advantage is Billericay Blue's nomination of David Crown's legendary goal against Wigan. I think this might be the equivalent of a fishing trip tale, as every time I remember this goal it seems to get better and better. If someone has it on video please put it up on youtube so I can see if it is as good as I remember it to be.

He is up against Damon Searle who is nominated by Dave Smith's Love Child. I'm not sure what Searle goal it was exactly because the last game of the season goal was against Mansfield in his first season, and his last goal for Southend was against Rushden, which IIRC was a cracking volley. I'm pretty sure it's already up on youtube if someone wants to dig it out.

So time for some more reminiscing and some blow by blow descriptions of those goals.

To make it more special, I was in line with the shot and was up in the air, as soon as it was hit.

As previously stated ,probably my favourite goal of all time at RH, only just beating Adrian Clarkes final goal for the club on the last day of the season, I think against Brighton ( Will be proved wrong I expect)

Thanks Smiffy for the video to aid my campaign

Crowny sadly wont win as it was too long ago. For me will always be a special day as it was my first ever game at Roots Hall. 2-0 down at half time - won 3-2 and I knew I was hooked for life.

No-one under the age of 30 will probably be able to vote for Crowny, and I can understand that.

But to this day 01/04/88 will always be etched in my mind. As DSs has stated above it was his 1st game at the Hall. It was also mine. 2-0 down at ht, in a must-win game (where have I heard that recently), we were dead and buried. After 15 mins of the 2nd half, manager Paul Clark made a substitution that changed our season and went a long way to ensuring that we avoided relegation. On came cult (spelt correctly) hero Roy "Donut" McDonough. Within 5 mins he had won a penalty which he then proceeded to smash into the North Bank net. 25 mins to go, could we get a point... 10 mins later, Martin Ling scored. A stunning volley from 25 yards out that whistled into the net. By now the North bank was in a frenzy, could we actually snatch a vital 3 points?? 5 mins later we had our answer. David Crown picked up the ball back to goal into front of the away dug-out, he turned inside his marker, and then skipped past another challenge. Then he started to bear down on goal. Another tackle came in, but Crowny rode that challenge. The North bank started to roar. By now Crowny was 30 yards from goal, and probably mid-way between the edge of the penalty area and the penalty spot. His left foot went back, and he SMASHED it it into the top right hand corner of the goal. The North Bank went absolutely mental, we hung on for the 3 points and a love-affair which has never ended had begun.

Vote Crowny, you know it makes sense.

Last edited:
Has to be Crowny's goal for me.

Southend were attacking Wigan towards the North Bank, from where I was standing near the half-way line in the West Stand he picked the ball up on the far side of the pitch about 15 yards from corner of the penalty box. The ball was bobbling around and out of nowhere he lashed it on the half-volley. It went like an exocet into the top corner, no keeper in the world would have got anywhere near it.

The crowd went absolutely berserk when the ball went in. And I mean berserk like when Freddy scored the freekick against Man U. Not only had we turned round a 2-0 reverse into a 3-2 win but it was one of those goals that you knew would be talked about for years to come. And it was scored by Crowny who was a complete legend for us already.

I still get goosebumps when I remember that goal. Not just because it was an amazing goal but because it was an amazing goal in an amazing game.

I do not remember David Crown's goal.
But remember Searle's goal... was that the volley in front of the west?

I'm over 30 so it has to be Crowny. An honest, hard-working, enthusiastic centre foerward who generally knew his limitations deciding to just go for it and it came off.

I wouldn't be surprised if even he re-lives that one every now and again with an ever so slightly moistening eye.

No-one under the age of 30 will probably be able to vote for Crowny, and I can understand that.

But to this day 01/04/88 will always be etched in my mind. As DSs has stated above it was his 1st game at the Hall. It was also mine. 2-0 down at ht, in a must-win game (where have I heard that recently), we were dead and buried. After 15 mins of the 2nd half, manager Paul Clark made a substitution that changed our season and went a long way to ensuring that we avoided relegation. On came cult (spelt correctly) hero Roy "Donut" McDonough. Within 5 mins he had won a penalty which he then proceeded to smash into the North Bank net. 25 mins to go, could we get a point... 10 mins later, Martin Ling scored. A stunning volley from 25 yards out that whistled into the net. By now the North bank was in a frenzy, could we actually snatch a vital 3 points?? 5 mins later we had our answer. David Crown picked up the ball back to goal into front of the away dug-out, he turned inside his marker, and then skipped past another challenge. Then he started to bear down on goal. Another tackle came in, but Crowny rode that challenge. The North bank started to roar. By now Crowny was 30 yards from goal, and probably mid-way between the edge of the penalty area and the penalty spot. His left foot went back, and he SMASHED it it into the top right hand corner of the goal. The North Bank went absolutely mental, we hung on for the 3 points and a love-affair which has never ended had begun.

Vote Crowny, you know it makes sense.

Ah, great memories. It was exactly this type of post I was hoping to coax out of people.

ps I think the word I'd use to describe it, was ARROWED.

What happens in the event of a tie?

I think it should be which event has the most mods voting for it...;)

In the event of a tie, I get a casting vote.

Fortunately it wasn't needed here, but still nobody has managed to get a clip of the goal up on youtube:madman:

Back