• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sometimes I wonder if some of you on here are actually Southend United fans or really just trolls from other clubs!

How about you try to give some of our players confidence instead of kicking them whilst they are down!?

Why is it the loyalty of fans continually comes into question? I dont necessarily think I am one of those you are referring to and in the case of Bolger I think I have been supportive and positive. But just because some fans, myself included at times, vent themselves with regard club/management/player matters, it does not make us any less of a supporter.

If you take the critics out of any crowd the club would fold. Being 'pub managers' and 'armchair pundits' makes the game live on longer than just the 90 minutes an every one of us is guilty of it.

Perhaps you would prefer we all went along to the games, rounded up by a sheepdog, and accepted everything we endure with a cheery smile and a polite clap for the chaps out on the pitch. If you take the passion out of supporters you sterilise the game. Long live discussion! :smile:

If you take the critics out of any crowd the club would fold. Being 'pub managers' and 'armchair pundits' makes the game live on longer than just the 90 minutes an every one of us is guilty of it.

It would take more than that to make the last two home matches live on any longer than "just the 90 minutes" !!

Even 'pub managers' don't put pressure on their own centre back for keeping simple possession early in the game

Perhaps we could do away with Brown, Penney and Coughlan and just have a group of abusive fans lining the tunnel at 2:55 pm instead.
The picture this created in my mind has kept me chuckling. As someone whose job for 40 years was essentially to motivate and inspire young people, I fully agree with your opinion that constantly telling someone they are rubbish is unlikely to lead to positive outcomes.Identifying areas of weakness and providing strategies to improve them is what coaching and management should be about.

Why is it the loyalty of fans continually comes into question? I dont necessarily think I am one of those you are referring to and in the case of Bolger I think I have been supportive and positive. But just because some fans, myself included at times, vent themselves with regard club/management/player matters, it does not make us any less of a supporter.

Perhaps you would prefer we all went along to the games, rounded up by a sheepdog, and accepted everything we endure with a cheery smile and a polite clap for the chaps out on the pitch. If you take the passion out of supporters you sterilise the game. Long live discussion! :smile:

You mentioned the word 'loyalty' not me! (perhaps you have a guilty conscience for some reason?).
I was pointing out that it is unfair to kick someone when he is down and lacking confidence - when perhaps he should be encouraged.
You only have to look at my past posts to see that I can be critical in my comments about some of the team and player performances, and like you feel that I am entitled to express my opinion... but I do not see how slagging a player off or insulting him personally helps him to improve at all!

Bolger is a liability for example on Sunday when he has time to play the ball out of defence he just pumped it forward and out of play and when he had an opposition player on him he tried to be cocky and play the ball out he lost it and they nearly scored. They are just schoolboy errors a pro player should not be doing at any age. So personally I'm glad he got sent off and I do not know how PB can defend him!! Also Prosser was very poor for a long time we he joined the club and did improve especially before his injury last season but now I think he's gone backwards since then and just lumps it forward and not very confident on the ball like he was.

The picture this created in my mind has kept me chuckling. As someone whose job for 40 years was essentially to motivate and inspire young people, I fully agree with your opinion that constantly telling someone they are rubbish is unlikely to lead to positive outcomes.Identifying areas of weakness and providing strategies to improve them is what coaching and management should be about.

It's also about improving on things people are good at, and sometimes forgetting about the things they are not good at. Prosser is an example, Sturrock taught him to not try to pass - and worked on his defending, which was already pretty good. Maybe at this moment in time, Bolger needs something similar

It would take more than that to make the last two home matches live on any longer than "just the 90 minutes" !!

Watching both games felt much longer than 90 mins to me...............

Bolger is a liability for example on Sunday when he has time to play the ball out of defence he just pumped it forward and out of play and when he had an opposition player on him he tried to be cocky and play the ball out he lost it and they nearly scored. They are just schoolboy errors a pro player should not be doing at any age. So personally I'm glad he got sent off and I do not know how PB can defend him!! Also Prosser was very poor for a long time we he joined the club and did improve especially before his injury last season but now I think he's gone backwards since then and just lumps it forward and not very confident on the ball like he was.

You are clearly not a supporter of this football club if you are happy one of our own players got sent off!!!

And if you are, then please don't be, we don't need so called fans like you

Bolger is a liability for example on Sunday when he has time to play the ball out of defence he just pumped it forward and out of play and when he had an opposition player on him he tried to be cocky and play the ball out he lost it and they nearly scored.

Personally I would rather he played the ball out of play than knock it back into a dangerous area as seems to be happening more often lately with a number of players.

Back