• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Bolton Wanderers 3-0 Southend United

Ricey

I’m a Mod, that’s unpossible⭐⭐
Staff member
You know what to do folks, keep it clean!

What have we learnt from this game? Well nothing in truth. It's the same old story I'm afraid. A real lack of quality in the final third, Brandon Goodship simply isn't a football league quality striker and misses far to many opportunities. As a team, we don't tend to create to much but those rare occasions we do, you can count on him to waste it. Today though I thought we actually created a few good opportunities but couldn't convert any of them. The customary soft goal was conceded at the worst possible time just before half time and as a fan you just knew that was game over. Second half we huffed and puffed and then had the wind taken out of us with a soft penalty awarded against us. The sort of penalty we haven't been given all season long. By this point it's well and truly game over but just for good measure, they score a third just to put some gloss on their victory.

Odd thing is, as a team that loses every week.. I saw nothing special from Bolton today. Scoreline I think flatters them. On the day they just had a little bit more luck than us and a striker up top who knows how to put the ball in to the back of the net. Another defeat goes on to the board for us though, it really makes for grim reading doesn't it. We've heard chatter about this is the week Ron might finally do what's needed but honestly, I've lost all hope that that man will ever do right by us again.

Trying to take the emotion out of it......I suppose it's a simple enough story. For much of the game we matched an admittedly poor Wanderers side. We created good chances but failed to take them. We actually had more shots on target than they did. BUT......but....they took their few chances.

I thought Dieng, Olayinka, Demetriou, Macca and Egbri played quite well. Once Macca was subbed we lost our shape at the back. Goodship had a poor game, Kyps lacked ball control at important moments. Can't be bothered to say much else really but the crucial point is that we need a goalscorer because we are at least creating chances now.

I cannot comment on the game as I don't bother watching/listening any more. But, we need positive actions this week. It may be still too late but if SUFC want us fans to stick with them next season in the NL then they need to show some signs of getting on top of the current mess. We certainly will be down to our hard core fan base but I fear even some of them will walk away.

i thought we had an OK first half until that goal went in just on half time.
certainly not dull watching our team but it is very frustrating.
Yet again it is all if's - if Goodship had managed to score when he had the opportunity, if John white had not given away the penalty etc, etc, etc.
We are in desperate need of a striker and we are now 6 points adrift

I do feel for MM as he is trying his best but the biggest blame here lies with only one person.

it is going to be very interesting when we are allowed back into the stadium

Gutted once again, week after week, this is ripping the heart and soul out of our club. Ronald I am really beginning to dislike you with what you have done and are doing with our club.
I will always support Southend United what ever league we are in but really we should or Ron should never have allowed us to get in this position, as far as I am concerned "stuff" the new stadium........

Oxley 6
Bwomono 6
White 6
Hobson 6 MOTM
Kyprianou 5
Egbri 5
McCormack 6
Dieng 6
Demetriou 5
Olayinka 6
Goodship 4

Sterling 4
Acquah 4
Taylor 4
Clifford 5

Never a 3-0 game but to have 3 players like Santos, Doyle & Delfounso all 8’s. They would walk into any League 2 team. Take them out Bolton would get relegated. We would be promoted with them in our side. Never a penalty either. Struggled for our MOTM gave it to Hobson even though we conceded 3, thought he played well and not at fault for any of the goals.

oh and this game made me open up the bottle of wine - am drowning my sorrows

OXLEY 7 - on a hiding to nothing
ELVIS 8 - Excellent yet again from Elvis , gave everything, superb player
WHITE 7 - Commanding, composed, controlled, steady
HOBSON 7 - Didn't much wrong , great distribution
KYPRIANOU 7 - Excellent match again , great balance + deserves more games
EGBRI 2 - Cant knock his effort but again was awful. Not good enough.
DEMETRIOU 5 - Buzzed about nicely
OLAYINKA 5 - played out of position again and struggled. What a player he could be!
McCORMACK 6 - strong, imposing, missed him when he went off
DIENG 7 - Won plenty of headers , gave us another option attackingly , but no support
GOODSHIP 3 - No confidence , no bottle, has pretty much given up.

SUBS:
STERLING 5 - is a striker. we need a striker , yet played left midfield + is no good there
ACQUAH 5 - won a couple of headers
R.TAYLOR 6 - Been banging on about him up front + he caused plenty of problems with his aggression , size , mobility + exactly what we should have had up front all season in the circumstances. Needs more chances up front!

No shock that we lost heavily again … we play every game effectively with 9 men - Goodship & Egbri have no quality to be playing at this level. Its taken almost half the season for Molesley + his coaches to start coming round to exactly what we have all been saying since week 1. When we have a physical presence up front , get the ball forward quicker , don't ponce about at the back + get some confidence , we are a half decent team.

Played some very nice football and through balls today......all Ron Martins fault now, M.M has got them playing well but at least 4 players short of winning games......the man in charge is a joke, all these managers he keeps trying and don’t fully back any of them!

Ox 6 not at fault with any of them
Elvis 6 didn’t get that involved
Hobson 6 done ok, distribution could be better
White 6 good to have him back
Demi 1 time to be left out, not a midfielder and very negative
Macca 7 was never a world beater years ago but now one of our best, shows how far we have fallen
Dieng 7 aerially decent and worth his place
Egbri 1 sorry, got to go if we ever get anyone in
Weakship 2 another back number if we get anyone in, my granny’s cat has got more fight
Olayinka 6 well worth his place with this mob
Kyps 6 does some decent stuff but also an accident waiting to happen

Didn’t watch or listen, went on here at half & full time to see the inevitable.
Put a £2 bet on a 3-0 drubbing like I’ve been doing every week since August, got 19/2 odds so that’s my alcohol therapy paid for tonight.

In 41 years as a fan never have I been so bloody well cheesed off.
I can’t imagine what rubbish goes through RM head that he can justify this crapshow to himself!
I can’t decide if he is deluded or just a plain b@stard
????????

The good news is that I was able to watch the whole game with the exception of their 3rd goal as I needed a jimmy. I saw some better things this week, especially in the first half, when we consistently kept our shape and Macca provided some much needed steel in the middle and was in the ref's ear the whole of the half. I also saw some well thought out moves totally ruined by inept finishing. Truthfully I'm saying the same thing every week now. Second half we tried but just didn't have what it took to open up Bolton. For what it's worth, get the embargo lifted Ron, although it's really is starting to look like it will be too late.

Funnily enough I don't feel as bad about this defeat as I did about Tuesday's loss, maybe I'm just getting anesthetised to the whole nonsense that is this season so far.

Back