• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Bolton Wanderers 3-0 Southend United

I want to write something just to try and rid myself of my total and utter frustration, but I can't think of anything to say............which just leaves me even more frustrated than ever!!

Am going to copy and paste: 'no quality equals zero points'. Expect to see it again very soon.
What else is there to add?
Oh yes, just thought of something.

If one rewinds two seasons ago, what was Ron hoping for when he lashed out big contracts?
Even assuming the nirvana of mid-table League One, how was the club ever going to afford mediocrity in the third tier?

Why did he spend what he didn't have? Let's say, and I haven't hit the bottle yet, we were promoted to the Championship; how could we afford a minimum £2,000 a week for every player in a ground that barely holds 11,000?
The maths at Roots Hall suggests we can only pay for a League Two side.

Am going to copy and paste: 'no quality equals zero points'. Expect to see it again very soon.

If one rewinds two seasons ago, what was Ron hoping for when he lashed out big contracts?
Even assuming the nirvana of mid-table League One, how was the club ever going to afford mediocrity in the third tier?

Why did he spend what he didn't have? Let's say, and I haven't hit the bottle yet, we were promoted to the Championship; how could we afford a minimum £2,000 a week for every player in a ground that barely holds 11,000?
You can’t even go to the the Lifeboat or Union to drown your sorrows either☹️

I don't get down after defeat anymore its just expected. I don't see a light at the end of very long dark tunnel! Love will always be there but defeats have just become the norm for me.

Struggling even pay for a league 2 side.

OXLEY 7 - on a hiding to nothing
ELVIS 8 - Excellent yet again from Elvis , gave everything, superb player
WHITE 7 - Commanding, composed, controlled, steady
HOBSON 7 - Didn't much wrong , great distribution
KYPRIANOU 7 - Excellent match again , great balance + deserves more games
EGBRI 2 - Cant knock his effort but again was awful. Not good enough.
DEMETRIOU 5 - Buzzed about nicely
OLAYINKA 5 - played out of position again and struggled. What a player he could be!
McCORMACK 6 - strong, imposing, missed him when he went off
DIENG 7 - Won plenty of headers , gave us another option attackingly , but no support
GOODSHIP 3 - No confidence , no bottle, has pretty much given up.

SUBS:
STERLING 5 - is a striker. we need a striker , yet played left midfield + is no good there
ACQUAH 5 - won a couple of headers
R.TAYLOR 6 - Been banging on about him up front + he caused plenty of problems with his aggression , size , mobility + exactly what we should have had up front all season in the circumstances. Needs more chances up front!

No shock that we lost heavily again … we play every game effectively with 9 men - Goodship & Egbri have no quality to be playing at this level. Its taken almost half the season for Molesley + his coaches to start coming round to exactly what we have all been saying since week 1. When we have a physical presence up front , get the ball forward quicker , don't ponce about at the back + get some confidence , we are a half decent team.
Oxley - yes hiding to nothing but should have done better for the third goal, if your c9ming get it dont go half way. 7
Bwomono - steady game but he has to improve, enthusiasm is good but he needs to be more vocal, better postionally and be more decisive both attacking and defending - 5
White - agree with what you say - 7
Hobson, was steady nothing special, he needs to be more divisive when in possession - 6
Kyprianou - tend to agree - 7
JD - was solid, maybe he has to play in midfield as his knees wont last at the back anymore, but if he sits and holds then he can do a decent job - 6
McCormack - strong yes, imposing maybe but at times he was found wanting, if Taylor were fit he wouldn’t make the 11 for me - 6
Olayinka - yep out of position, I said this after the last game too (we did the same with Taylor in a game as well). He looks a good player him for where he will hurt teams - 5
Egbri - too light weight, gives up possession easily, quick for sure but you need more than that. At t8mes he looks good but more often flatters to deceive - 4
Dieng - did ok, I would have had him in central midfield with Olayinka in the more advanced role with Sterling or Rush wide and McCormack on the bench. But he put in a shift - 6
Goodship - not a lot too say don’t think he could buy a goal right now, some poor touches and finishes - 3

Just sick of it all. Death by a thousand cuts at the moment.

We can be in talks with as many strikers as want and keep tabs on as many Bilel’s as we want. But until the embargo is lifted it means absolutely zero. Are we supposed to celebrate the signing of an experienced target man and then watch him take a seat in the stands next to Akinola and Hart?

It’s just heartbreaking we’ve stooped this low. As someone else mentioned, I’m struggling to feel disappointed about a defeat nowadays as most of the time I’ve already accepted it before a ball is kicked.

For what it’s worth I thought we played some good football today, put in decent effort and 3-0 flattered them a bit. But there’s no getting away from the fact that many of this squad, try as they might, just aren’t ready to compete and battle at this level yet.

SOUTHEND United manager Mark Molesley was a frustrated figure after seeing his side ‘fall short’ in this afternoon’s 3-0 defeat a t Bolton Wanderers.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links

Not as frustrated as the long suffering fans forced to witness their skint club endure a shameful demise into non league obscurity whilst the owner insists our glass is half full.

He’s only been here a matter of 14 weeks, if MM think this is frustration wait until January when the promise of new players fails to transpire & we are hopelessly adrift at the foot of the table.

If RM has allowed things to fall this far I have zero faith in his promises or ability to change things in the new year.

Saturday afternoon has lost its magic. We all know what our problems are. Two mediocre teams, but one had strikers who could take their chances. If the embargo is lifted then perhaps just perhaps we have an outside chance. I'm almost at the point of looking forward to the National League if it's without Ron.

Literally with every defeat my chest hurts for a good few hours afterwards. I’m not on the way to a heart attack ( I hope ), but I am just genuinely feeling sad every week !
I will always support us no matter how bad we get but I am very concerned how many other fans will desert this club with the current situation we see it in.

Ox 6

Elvis 6
White 6. Helps the shape massively at the back, but didn’t challenge for the first goal and gave away the penalty.
hobson 6.5. Did ok today
kyps 4. Thought he was poor today. When he had options to go forwards he stopped and went back

egbri 4. Took the wrong choice too often
Demi 5. Struggling at the moment.
Macca 6. Worked hard, broke up play and kept it simple
Olyinka 6. Put him back in the middle please. Even if it means 5 in the midfield

dieng 6. Won a few headers, but passing was a bit off
Goodship 2. Just woeful. Missed a sitter, missed another chance through poor control. Lost the ball a number of times and doesn’t work hard enough. Not good enough for the league, no where near it.

Back