• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BOLTON WANDERERS - Saturday 21st December 2019

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
BOLTON WANDERERS - Saturday 14th December 2019 3.00 pm
University of Bolton Stadium
Capacity: 28,723 (all seated)
Address: Burnden Way, Horwich, Bolton, BL6 6JW
Telephone: 01204 673 673

Details for Southend United visit to Bolton can be found on the following:

Post 2; - Bolton By Road/Parking

Post 3, - Bolton Where to Drink

Post 4 - Bolton By Train

Post 5 - Bolton By Coach

Post 6 –- Bolton Ticket information

Post 7 - What’s the Ground like/Reviews

Some details in the following posts are from the excellent footballgroundguide site;
https://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/macron-stadium-bolton-wanderers.html#awhat-is-the-university-of-bolton-stadium-like

ALL THESE DETAILS OFFERED IN GOOD FAITH PLEASE CHECK CAREFULLY BEFORE BOOKING
IF YOU CAN FIND CHEAPER FARES PLEASE LET US KNOW.

This is your Forum please feel free to post anything relevant to this trip

Bolton By Road/Parking

From The South
M6 to Junction 21a, take eastbound M62 leaving at Junction 12. Follow signs for M61 (Bolton/Preston) and leave the M61 motorway at Junction 6. The ground is visible from this junction and is clearly signposted.

From The North
M6 to Junction 29 and take the M65 towards Blackburn. Leave the M65 at junction two and join the M61 towards Manchester. Leave the M61 at junction six. The ground is visible from this junction and is clearly signposted.

John Walsh adds; 'Because of traffic congestion on the M60 (formerly M62), caused by the Trafford Centre, I would recommend that those supporters travelling from the South should take the North directions above. It is about 10 miles further but can save 30 minutes and a lot of frustration!'

Car Parking
There is a car park at the ground, but this costs £7 for cars (£12 for minibusses). Plus on my last visit, the cars in the away section of the car park were packed in like sardines, meaning that away fans leaving early (my team had just been stuffed!) couldn't get a quick getaway as there were cars blocking them in. However a lot of the surrounding industrial estate units offer cheaper parking, usually around the £4-£5 mark. Some of these are located on either side of Lostock Lane. From the M61, go past the stadium on your left, move into the right-hand filter lane and turn right at the traffic lights into Lostock Lane. If you continue down Lostock Lane and take a left hand turn before to the Bromilow Arms, then I noticed on my last visit that there was some street parking to be had at the bottom of this road. Neil Casson a visiting Tottenham Hotspur fan informs me; 'I've been to Bolton a couple times and parked at a factory unit on Cranfield Road, which is the first right off Lostock Lane. Its the first unit on the right as you enter Cranfield Road costs £3.50 and it's staffed for the duration of the game. Away fans are located in the South Stand, so it's just a short walk back to your car. The official car parks seem to be well snarled up and parking I recommend parking just away from the ground if you want a quick getaway'.

Gary Lovatt adds 'On the parking front, a handy little idea is to park at the Beehive pub which is on the roundabout (half a mile past the stadium coming from the motorway) where you pay £5 per car but you are able to redeem it against purchases at the bar. I also recommend the cajun chicken baguette there!' To get to the Beehive leave the M61 at Junction 6 and drive down towards the stadium. Then continue straight on past the stadium and the Beehive pub is situated at the next roundabout, on Chorley New Road.

Whilst Mark Pickering suggests; 'St Joseph's school on Chorley New Road offers parking on matchdays at £4 per car. On reaching the roundabout with the Beehive pub, turn left and St Joseph's School is on the left hand side after about 250 yards. There is a pathway from the school leading down to the stadium - allowing fairly rapid entrance and exit to and from the ground.'

Davs Dallison informs me; 'For the last few seasons, we have parked at the Brinsop Country Inn on the Chorley Road (A6), on the other side of the M61, which is about a 15 minute walk from the stadium. It costs £4 to park there, but the pub has good beer and reasonably priced food, with home and visiting fans mixing together. The big plus point is that you can easily get away after the game back onto the motorway with no problems'.

Post Code for SAT NAV: BL6 6JW

Bolton By Road/Parking

From The South
M6 to Junction 21a, take eastbound M62 leaving at Junction 12. Follow signs for M61 (Bolton/Preston) and leave the M61 motorway at Junction 6. The ground is visible from this junction and is clearly signposted.

From The North
M6 to Junction 29 and take the M65 towards Blackburn. Leave the M65 at junction two and join the M61 towards Manchester. Leave the M61 at junction six. The ground is visible from this junction and is clearly signposted.

John Walsh adds; 'Because of traffic congestion on the M60 (formerly M62), caused by the Trafford Centre, I would recommend that those supporters travelling from the South should take the North directions above. It is about 10 miles further but can save 30 minutes and a lot of frustration!'

Car Parking
There is a car park at the ground, but this costs £7 for cars (£12 for minibusses). Plus on my last visit, the cars in the away section of the car park were packed in like sardines, meaning that away fans leaving early (my team had just been stuffed!) couldn't get a quick getaway as there were cars blocking them in. However a lot of the surrounding industrial estate units offer cheaper parking, usually around the £4-£5 mark. Some of these are located on either side of Lostock Lane. From the M61, go past the stadium on your left, move into the right-hand filter lane and turn right at the traffic lights into Lostock Lane. If you continue down Lostock Lane and take a left hand turn before to the Bromilow Arms, then I noticed on my last visit that there was some street parking to be had at the bottom of this road. Neil Casson a visiting Tottenham Hotspur fan informs me; 'I've been to Bolton a couple times and parked at a factory unit on Cranfield Road, which is the first right off Lostock Lane. Its the first unit on the right as you enter Cranfield Road costs £3.50 and it's staffed for the duration of the game. Away fans are located in the South Stand, so it's just a short walk back to your car. The official car parks seem to be well snarled up and parking I recommend parking just away from the ground if you want a quick getaway'.

Gary Lovatt adds 'On the parking front, a handy little idea is to park at the Beehive pub which is on the roundabout (half a mile past the stadium coming from the motorway) where you pay £5 per car but you are able to redeem it against purchases at the bar. I also recommend the cajun chicken baguette there!' To get to the Beehive leave the M61 at Junction 6 and drive down towards the stadium. Then continue straight on past the stadium and the Beehive pub is situated at the next roundabout, on Chorley New Road.

Whilst Mark Pickering suggests; 'St Joseph's school on Chorley New Road offers parking on matchdays at £4 per car. On reaching the roundabout with the Beehive pub, turn left and St Joseph's School is on the left hand side after about 250 yards. There is a pathway from the school leading down to the stadium - allowing fairly rapid entrance and exit to and from the ground.'

Davs Dallison informs me; 'For the last few seasons, we have parked at the Brinsop Country Inn on the Chorley Road (A6), on the other side of the M61, which is about a 15 minute walk from the stadium. It costs £4 to park there, but the pub has good beer and reasonably priced food, with home and visiting fans mixing together. The big plus point is that you can easily get away after the game back onto the motorway with no problems'.

Post Code for SAT NAV: BL6 6JW

Bolton by Train

Horwich Parkway Railway Station serves the Macron Stadium, with regular trains from Bolton's main railway station. Horwich Parkway is only a few minutes walk from the stadium.

TRAINS

FROM LONDON

Cheapest tickets are ADVANCE SINGLES which MUST be bought in advance, prices the following is an example but prices vary and may go up nearer the time;

08.00 London Euston change at Stockport Arrive Horwich Parkway 10.58 - £30.00 advance single
09.00 London Euston change at Stockport Arrive Horwich Parkway 11.58 - £36.00 advance single

RETURN

17.15 Horwich Parkway change at Manchester Piccadilly arrive London Euston 20.01 (£26.00 advance single)
17.46 Horwich Parkway change at Manchester Piccadilly arrive London Euston 20.59 (£27.00 advance single)
18.15 Horwich Parkway change at Manchester Piccadilly arrive London Euston 21.23 (£26.00 advance single)

Tickets can be booked on line at the following link.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/London/HWI/211219/0700/dep/211219/1700/dep

FROM SOUTHEND

Fares are being shown as £87.00 return. with ADVANCE SINGLES

Book your trains carefully as prices vary,

If your Travelling from Southend it’s worth considering the coach services which would be considerably cheaper and easier

As always all information is given in good faith, but please check out carefully for yourself before booking

BOLTON TICKET INFORMATION

Ticket information for Blues' game away to Bolton Wanderers on Saturday 21 December - 3pm KO.

We have an allocation of 560 tickets available.

Prices:

Adults - £20
65+ & U23’s - £12
U18 - £10

Wheelchair Prices don’t change from the above pricing but are entitled a Carer ticket for free. Wheelchair/Carer tickets are available in person only at the Blues Box Office

WHAT’S IT LIKE FOR AWAY FANS

Away fans are housed in the two tiered South Stand at one end of the ground, where up to 5,000 supporters can be accommodated, although the normal allocation is nearer 3,000. The lower tier is shared with home supporters, but the upper tier is given entirely to away fans. The leg room and facilities within this stand are good and the atmosphere is boosted in the home end by the presence of a drummer. Alex Smith adds; 'away fans should note that the bottom rows of the lower tier are not covered by the roof and therefore you may get wet if it rains'. Whilst Paul Kelly warns; 'the stewards at the stadium can be a bit overzealous, often throwing out fans for little reason. My advice to away fans is do not even think about celebrating a goal by going further forward than the front row. They'll have you even if you're just on the bit of track behind the adverts. Also you may be told to sit down during the game, take heed and do so. Fans have been removed who persistently stand up during the game'.

I was particularly impressed with the stadium and for the first time in this country, I felt I could have easily been sitting in a comparable stadium in the United States. The refreshment facilities are good (albeit queuing times can be long on occasion) and I wish that other clubs would copy the way that supporters in the Reebok are served. There are proper queuing barriers and exit lanes. One person takes the order and deals with the money, whilst another prepares your order at the same time. Simple when you think about it, it is just a pity that other clubs seem to think that supporters enjoy the lottery of being in the scrum that develops around the refreshment kiosk. Food on offer includes a range of Holland's Pies; Chicken Balti, Potato & Meat, Peppered Steak, Potato & Cheese (all £3.10), Cheeseburgers (£3.90) and Hot Dogs (£3.90).

The stadium is certainly one of the best in England, although a capacity of under 30,000 means that it is on the small side compared to other stadia. There is 125 room hotel located behind the away end of the ground, 19 of which have views of the pitch. I just wonder if any of the hotel guests occupying these rooms may at some time put on their own half time sho

Back