• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Surrey Blue

Coach
The reason i ask is that i enjoy a good read and would like to see if there are any books i havent read that i should or just to find out what others are reading. Now this Topic may fall flat if no one else enjoys a read.

Anyway at the presrent time im reading a book called "Marching Powder" by Rusty Young. Very Very good book and i would give it a 5 ShrimperZone Star Rating. Its a true story about the San Pedro prison in Bolivia. The main character is an Englishman who got arrested trafficing Coke. He was sent to the San Pedro where he had to pay to get in and buy a cell (yes you just read that right). It follows the period of time that he was inprisoned and how the only way to get on in the prison is if you have money as you have to buy everything, food, clothing, etc. The guards never venture into the prison and are all corrupt as is the MAjor in charge. It is a remarkable story.

I have added the Amazon link as there Synopsis is better than mine

Marching Powder

The first rule of book club is: You do not talk about book club!

BTW, is anyone reading something more boring than I am? I'm reading an accountancy textbook at the moment, because I have exams in 2 weeks!

Sad case, Steve
tounge.gif

I'm re-reading Talking to Addison by Jenny Colgan - very funny book.

I'm reading some psychological thriller- called Kisscut, or something. Very American, but OK for those long commutes...

The last normal book I read was 'The good guys wear black' by Steve Collins. Its an autobiographical account of life in the Met police's firearms unit. It was fairly interesting, not the best i've read by any means but worth reading.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Nov. 18 2003,16:31)]The first rule of book club is: You do not talk about book club!
I thought that was the second rule.

SB sounds like a good book but went on the link and now know how it ends so no need to read it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Nov. 18 2003,16:37)]The last normal book I read was 'The good guys wear black' by Steve Collins. Its an autobiographical account of life in the Met police's firearms unit. It was fairly interesting, not the best i've read by any means but worth reading.
I enjoyed this Steve and have also enjoyed Chris Ryans SAS series which again i found suprisingly good for someone who was origionally trained to kill people.

Also have any of you read "The Diceman", very good book that makes you think.

<span style='font-family:comic sans ms'>Flesh and Blood by Jonathan Kellerman. Taking my time, I&#39;ve been f**king knackered on the commute the last few days...</span>

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blues_r_best @ Nov. 18 2003,16:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Nov. 18 2003,16:31)]The first rule of book club is: You do not talk about book club&#33;
I thought that was the second rule.

SB sounds like a good book but went on the link and now know how it ends so no need to read it.
Whoops sorry maybe i should have sent you here instead

Marching Powder 2
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Surrey Blue @ Nov. 18 2003,16:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Nov. 18 2003,16:37)]The last normal book I read was &#39;The good guys wear black&#39; by Steve Collins. Its an autobiographical account of life in the Met police&#39;s firearms unit. It was fairly interesting, not the best i&#39;ve read by any means but worth reading.
I enjoyed this Steve and have also enjoyed Chris Ryans SAS series which again i found suprisingly good for someone who was origionally trained to kill people.

Also have any of you read &quot;The Diceman&quot;, very good book that makes you think.
Yeah, read all of Chris Ryans. How about Andy Mcnab, you read any of his?

Also, did you watch the &#39;Hunting Chris Ryan&#39; series on the telly a couple of weeks ago, thought that was quite good.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Nov. 18 2003,16:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Surrey Blue @ Nov. 18 2003,16:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Nov. 18 2003,16:37)]The last normal book I read was &#39;The good guys wear black&#39; by Steve Collins. Its an autobiographical account of life in the Met police&#39;s firearms unit. It was fairly interesting, not the best i&#39;ve read by any means but worth reading.

Also have any of you read &quot;The Diceman&quot;, very good book that makes you think.
Yeah, read all of Chris Ryans. How about Andy Mcnab, you read any of his?

Also, did you watch the &#39;Hunting Chris Ryan&#39; series on the telly a couple of weeks ago, thought that was quite good.
I have only read 1 Mcnab book and couldnt get into it, im not sure if it was that i was feeling disloyal to Ryan or i just didnt enjoy the book?

I did see the TV series and thoroughly enjoyed it, he seemed to mug off the American special forces on a regualr basis. Which was nice
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Surrey Blue @ Nov. 18 2003,16:59)]I have only read 1 Mcnab book and couldnt get into it, im not sure if it was that i was feeling disloyal to Ryan or i just didnt enjoy the book?

I did see the TV series and thoroughly enjoyed it, he seemed to mug off the American special forces on a regualr basis. Which was nice  
biggrin.gif
Which Mcnab book was it?

Its worth reading CR - The One That Got Away, Mcnab - Bravo Two Zero and then Michael Ashers the Real Bravo Two Zero. You get an idea of how much the first 2 were allegedly hyped up from the third (they all concern the failed mission that ended in escape and evasion in the Gulf War I)

Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson

Always a nice gentle read on the train going up in the morning &#33;

If i may also recommend The Invisbles by Grant Morrison (ok it has pictures as well but hey its for grown ups really &#33;)

PHP4 - Thought I&#39;d teach myself another web design language to make the new look ShrimperZone bettter&#33;

Back