• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Books by Southend players/managers

Napster

No ⭐
Now that Drewenaldo's brought out his own autobiography (treading similar ground to Stan on mental health), who else has written books who have played for us/managed us? And what were their thoughts on Southend?

I can think of the following:

Steve Wignall (didnt like us)
Shaun Goater (loved us)
Eddie Firmani (written before he joined)
Garry Nelson (loves us)
Ronnie Whelan (just about Liverpool, I think)
Theo Foley (unsure, not read)
Barry Fry (is a clown)
Eddie May (unsure, not read)
Roy McDonough (loves us)
Stan Collymore (loves us)

any more?

Cheers MK tried to get it on Amazon, but cannot see it

Have emailed his account for info and where can I get it from

Now that Drewenaldo's brought out his own autobiography (treading similar ground to Stan on mental health), who else has written books who have played for us/managed us? And what were their thoughts on Southend?

I can think of the following:

Steve Wignall (didnt like us)
Shaun Goater (loved us)
Eddie Firmani (written before he joined)
Garry Nelson (loves us)
Ronnie Whelan (just about Liverpool, I think) a small paragraph in the middle
Theo Foley (unsure, not read)
Barry Fry (is a clown)
Eddie May (unsure, not read)
Roy McDonough (loves us) but didn't rate Richard Cadette
Stan Collymore (loves us)

any more?

I don't think there is much in the Bobby Moore Bio either

Books not available at your local Waterstones.

Mental as Anything - Bilel Moshni.
Hey that's my missus! - Richie Foran
The Blob - Michael Ricketts.
My life playing golf with fan's cousins - Steve Tilson

Ben Smith - Journeyman, very interesting read he talks briefly about his time with us but didn’t seem to enjoy it or was happy. Good overall read though.

Andy Woodman mentioned us in his joint autobiography with Gareth Southgate called Woody & Nord: A Football Friendship.

He said he really enjoyed his time with us but it coincided with Dave Webb's return to the club and he wanted to slash every player's wages. I can't remember exactly what the figure was but I believe he was on 1k a week and Webb offered only 500 when his contract expired.

Also, Southgate mentions that during his time at Crystal Palace, SCP used to continually play tricks on him in the changing rooms.

Last edited:
Livett Like You Love It by Simon Livett is, despite the title, rather uninspiring. The Southend section is quite small.

Close Shave by Mark Beard, from the same era, is an absolutely corker, running to over 1000 pages, most concerned with conveying the motivational brilliance of Alvin Martin's team talks.

Back