• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Boreham Wood 1-0 Southend United

Not at the game, thank god!

Seems to me the departure of Lopata has had more of an effect on the team psychology than him being specifically missed at the back. Clearly others are thinking of doing the same now.

In terms of those targeting Maher then shame on you. All the teams around us have refreshed their squads over the course of the season, that’s how it works in the NL. Saying we have a good squad is all well and good but when we have injuries we have to carry them whereas other teams get a loan in to cover. It’s not a level playing field.

As for goals, well we haven’t had one forward stay fit the entire season meaning it’s an inconsistent line up every week almost. How are the players supposed to play together week after week when the forwards are constantly changing?
I'm not targeting Maher who has overall done a sterling job this season - but that doesn't make him untouchable. I don't want him out - I want him to be tactically more flexible and have the confidence to change things mid-game if required. Nothing wrong with saying that.

Therefore the question of tactics is the only variable left. I've lost count of the times the team has had good possession but not had a shot on goal. We can throw money at new strikers but the fact remains we flatter to deceive in the supply.

Do we? Yesterday we had - at minimum - three excellent goal scoring opportunities; Murphy’s header, Cardwell’s header and the penalty.

All three of those came from good wing play and decent, early crosses.

In fact, if we had taken just one or two of those chances, we’d all be saying what an excellent performance it was, going away from home and slapping a team who were unbeaten in 13.

It’s fine margins. If Murphy connects with the ball a few millimetres higher, if Cardwell’s aim is better by a couple of inches, if Bridge goes the other way….

Maher has done an incredible job in motivating this team and dealing with the adversity. No question. Awards all round for that. But we also have to question the continuing tactical approach.

I’m curious, what do you think his tactical approach is?

I would think it’s something along the lines of retain possession, move it between the lines and then attack from the wing. The only issue I have with the tactics are why we have a lack of runners into the box from central midfield and the opposite flank. Although this may not be a tactical issue and more a personnel problem.

As controversial as it is, I was never a fan of Maher as a player. Clearly a great motivational coach but as a manager I have the same feeling as him as a player.

Yes, I recall your thread from last year, questioning whether Maher was the man for the job, again after a few bad results.

Same question for yourself as I’ve posed to Wiggy, why did you not say these things whilst we were on unbeaten streaks and sitting in the playoffs? Or after the draws against Wrexham and Notts C at Roots Hall? Or when we were running the likes of Solihull Moors and Barnet ragged?

Looking at the match stats from yesterday, it’s quite hard to believe we came away with nothing. It’s even harder to believe it’s Maher fault though.

621FE425-2361-4E68-9ED6-8EA74BEEDA7B.jpeg

Unlucky. Felt sorry for the players who deserve to get some rub of the green. Kensdale, Ralph and Bridge put in strong performances. Murphy off the pace. Some nice lay offs from Wreh when he came on. Mooney is a shadow of his early season form. A number of chances could have gone in for us though Boreham Wood had their chances too. If the players don’t lose heart there is still time for a decent run in and squeeze into the play offs. We’re clearly not good enough to win those though.

Perhaps being goaded and barracked by Southend supporters when he took a couple of first half corners in front of them might have contributed to that somewhat excessive celebration.
Exactly that. 'You're a C##t' being shouted at in his face at the corner when he always did his best for Southend. We'll still always be the first result he will ask for after the whistle.

We have been on the end of some diabolical decisions from refs this season, but it’s the NL, we all know by now that the standard of referees in this league is awful but you can only blame them so much.

At the end of the day if you don’t score goals then you won’t win football matches, it’s as simple as that. We have scored 1 goal in our last 4 matches……that says it all.

Murphy - overrated and injury prone.
Powell - he’s not a striker for me, would be more effective on the wing with his pace and trickery.
Cardwell - on his day is decent but again far too injury prone.
Wreh - shows promise but isn’t consistent enough.
Hyde - can’t stay fit for more than one game, no wonder Wrexham wanted him gone.

The top teams all have high quality forward options and have the luxury of being able to add to them if needed. We don’t have that luxury due to the never ending embargo.

Kev and his team have far exceeded most fans expectations this season given the dire restrictions they have had to work under and their amazing work hasn’t gone unnoticed from plenty of EFL clubs looking for a new management team this summer. They have been the only big positive this season.

I said it before that this season was our best chance of promotion and for me, we had to get a draw at worst last night to keep them hopes alive.

Unfortunately, given the amount of quality we will be losing in the coming months and the problems we’ll face replacing that quality, I can see nothing other than a relegation battle next season.

Last night was my first viewing on the National League’s streaming service, as I won a free pass on Twitter.

I actually thought we played extremely well, and some of our attacks, and patterns of play were brilliant, and shows what we’d be able to put into play more often if we weren’t hamstrung by our pitch at Roots Hall. Yes, there are a lot of issues at Roots Hall, but a priority has to be sorting that pitch out. Especially as we have a manager who wants to play out from the back, play through the thirds and play attractive, attacking football.

IF we had taken any of our big chances in the first half, we win that game pretty comfortably and we are all saying what a performance, play offs still a possibility etc etc.

Instead, their keeper pulls off a worldy, Murphy, Bridge, Gus & Taylor all miss big chances, and we are on the end of another horrendous decision and it’s all doom and gloom again.

With the penalty against us, what a farce. Kensdale clearly wins the ball, the referee initially isn’t interested, and then bizarrely points at the spot. Brunt dispatches it excellently.

Our penalty, you couldn’t actually see the handball on the stream as there was another defender in the way, but you can see an outstretched arm, so certainly wasn’t in a natural position. The commentators said it was handball and said it was a penalty, and to their credit, actually said the one that Boreham Wood were awarded was never a penalty.

Now, I’m not sure whether some of the referees in this division are just completely inept and shouldn’t be at this level, or they are genuinely cheating at times. I’d guess just completely inept. A lot of the officials I’ve seen, and I’ve not seen a huge amount of our home games due to work/family commitments, are out of shape. I know they aren’t professional, but this is a professional league, 95% of the sides are professional, and this is their livelihood. 3 points on a Saturday/Tuesday decides promotions and relegations, and in turn costs managers/players their jobs. These officials can go back to their day job, and not have a care in the world.

Now, he isn’t the reason we lost. We should have scored a hatful, but Boreham Wood barely laid a glove on us. That game, if we weren’t going to take our chances, should have finished 0-0, and that would have still felt like a defeat for us.

I’ve tried not to be critical of the players. What they have been through, and how they have stuck with us, and what it means for them to play for this great club of us says an awful lot about them as people and professionals. I will hold a special place for this special group of players. They have stuck with us through some horrendous times this season. Whether they do beyond it, only time will tell. You can’t ever accuse them of throwing in the towel, downing tools, or any of the things you could accuse previous groups of players or.

However, we’ve now lost 4 matches in a row, and it has cost us any chance of the play-offs. Yes, all these problems have been caused by one man, and I don’t want to turn this into yet another RM bashing thread. I do think we need a refresh in the summer, not a complete overhaul, but a freshen up.

I’ve got an idea of players I’d like to move on, but that feels disrespectful to start a thread like that, when the players have been so good to us.

We have the basis of a very good side. We lack the cutting edge of the top sides. See Mullin, Langstaff, McCullum, Dallas etc. We lack goals from midfield bar Bridge. We lack players in the box. We lack driving runs from midfield. We lack support from the opposite flank. We lack goals from centre halves. We are defensively solid, we have one of the best wing backs in the division. We have a top rate centre forward in Cardwell. We have the best defensive midfielder in the league in the shape of Miley. Gus has been a tremendous find. Kensdale has really stepped up. We have two terrific goalkeepers.

This season, for me, was a rebuild. A flirt with the play-offs, but ultimately missing out. However, four games ago, we have a phenomenal chance to cement on play off position, instead we find ourselves 7 points outside, albeit with 2 games in hand.

I think this season will peter out now, which is a real shame, but there has been some progress this season, incredible progress and we should be so thankful of Kev & Co, and the posts even suggest Kev Out are incredible.

well said BW2, but i do think its time to maybe try some different formations,4-2-4, or 3-4-3,we really have nothing to lose lets now just go for the jugular, ,even a 4-2-3-1,something different ,As for Kev and co ,we are lucky to have them .And i agree its much to early to start naming players who need replacing ,these lads have stuck by us and deserve better than that .

Comedy post of the day.
So you’re saying you don’t think, Bridge, Kensdale, Hobson, Miley, GSM are all quality players?

You think we’ll be able to replace them easily given our reputation of not paying staff and continually being threatened with winding up orders?

You think we won’t be battling relegation with half or more of our youth team having to start next season?

How did that go the last time we had to start with the kids in the first team? I’ll jog your memory, we got relegated!!

So you’re saying you don’t think, Bridge, Kensdale, Hobson, Miley, GSM are all quality players?

You think we’ll be able to replace them easily given our reputation of not paying staff and continually being threatened with winding up orders?

You think we won’t be battling relegation with half or more of our youth team having to start next season?

How did that go the last time we had to start with the kids in the first team? I’ll jog your memory, we got relegated!!
and on what authority can you say they will be leaving end of season, How can anyone say for certain they will be gone, Myself i hope they all stay
,times have been hard yes ,but they seem to be enjoying their football and i think they like Kev and co too.

I’ll only reply to this once, as it’s not the correct thread to do this on, however.

I know of one established National League player who should be joining us in the Summer. He can’t wait to join us.

There will always be players who want to join us. There will be close to 1,000 players out of contract in the summer, they would rather be paid late, than not at all. We’ve had a reputation for paying players late/winding up orders etc for years and we’ve still attracted players. Whether they have been a success or not is for another day.

You have players, like Gus & Kensdale, who are plying their trade at levels below us who would be desperate to sign for us even with our reputation.

Don’t forget the pull the likes of Stan & John Still have.

Don’t forget the pull the likes of Kev, Benno & Currie have.

Don’t forget the pull us fans have. Regularly over 5,000 at home, over 500 away most games (700 plus at Wrexham followed by 850 plus at Boreham Wood).

We’d be able to bring in loans too, where there is little to no risk for the player joining in terms of no receiving their wages.

Now, we can debate whether we will attract the 25 goal a season we need, the goalscoring midfielder we need etc

We can debate whether the players we bring in will be of the right quality for a play-off/promotion push etc but we will, obviously embargo depending, be able to bring in new players.

The goal vs Wrexham and today vs Borehamwood couldn't have been prevented by Lopata or any other defender...
They weren’t necessarily defensive mistakes by the centre halves but maybe a better centre half does something better.

The Wrexham one maybe a more physical centre half blocks off Mullin’s run better so he can’t foul Arnold, last night maybe a faster centre half gets there a fraction quicker and changes the referee’s perception of the incident. It’s a game of fine margins and we’ll never know how exactly it would have panned out. What we do know is we had a far better defence with Łopata than without him.

This was a team playing like it’s lost 3 in a row. I don’t think they played badly (particularly first 40 minutes) but the belief isn’t there. That’s most visible in the final third.

Last night was my first viewing on the National League’s streaming service, as I won a free pass on Twitter.

I actually thought we played extremely well, and some of our attacks, and patterns of play were brilliant, and shows what we’d be able to put into play more often if we weren’t hamstrung by our pitch at Roots Hall. Yes, there are a lot of issues at Roots Hall, but a priority has to be sorting that pitch out. Especially as we have a manager who wants to play out from the back, play through the thirds and play attractive, attacking football.

IF we had taken any of our big chances in the first half, we win that game pretty comfortably and we are all saying what a performance, play offs still a possibility etc etc.

Instead, their keeper pulls off a worldy, Murphy, Bridge, Gus & Taylor all miss big chances, and we are on the end of another horrendous decision and it’s all doom and gloom again.

With the penalty against us, what a farce. Kensdale clearly wins the ball, the referee initially isn’t interested, and then bizarrely points at the spot. Brunt dispatches it excellently.

Our penalty, you couldn’t actually see the handball on the stream as there was another defender in the way, but you can see an outstretched arm, so certainly wasn’t in a natural position. The commentators said it was handball and said it was a penalty, and to their credit, actually said the one that Boreham Wood were awarded was never a penalty.

Now, I’m not sure whether some of the referees in this division are just completely inept and shouldn’t be at this level, or they are genuinely cheating at times. I’d guess just completely inept. A lot of the officials I’ve seen, and I’ve not seen a huge amount of our home games due to work/family commitments, are out of shape. I know they aren’t professional, but this is a professional league, 95% of the sides are professional, and this is their livelihood. 3 points on a Saturday/Tuesday decides promotions and relegations, and in turn costs managers/players their jobs. These officials can go back to their day job, and not have a care in the world.

Now, he isn’t the reason we lost. We should have scored a hatful, but Boreham Wood barely laid a glove on us. That game, if we weren’t going to take our chances, should have finished 0-0, and that would have still felt like a defeat for us.

I’ve tried not to be critical of the players. What they have been through, and how they have stuck with us, and what it means for them to play for this great club of us says an awful lot about them as people and professionals. I will hold a special place for this special group of players. They have stuck with us through some horrendous times this season. Whether they do beyond it, only time will tell. You can’t ever accuse them of throwing in the towel, downing tools, or any of the things you could accuse previous groups of players or.

However, we’ve now lost 4 matches in a row, and it has cost us any chance of the play-offs. Yes, all these problems have been caused by one man, and I don’t want to turn this into yet another RM bashing thread. I do think we need a refresh in the summer, not a complete overhaul, but a freshen up.

I’ve got an idea of players I’d like to move on, but that feels disrespectful to start a thread like that, when the players have been so good to us.

We have the basis of a very good side. We lack the cutting edge of the top sides. See Mullin, Langstaff, McCullum, Dallas etc. We lack goals from midfield bar Bridge. We lack players in the box. We lack driving runs from midfield. We lack support from the opposite flank. We lack goals from centre halves. We are defensively solid, we have one of the best wing backs in the division. We have a top rate centre forward in Cardwell. We have the best defensive midfielder in the league in the shape of Miley. Gus has been a tremendous find. Kensdale has really stepped up. We have two terrific goalkeepers.

This season, for me, was a rebuild. A flirt with the play-offs, but ultimately missing out. However, four games ago, we have a phenomenal chance to cement on play off position, instead we find ourselves 7 points outside, albeit with 2 games in hand.

I think this season will peter out now, which is a real shame, but there has been some progress this season, incredible progress and we should be so thankful of Kev & Co, and the posts even suggest Kev Out are incredible.
Agree with much of this as always. However, I wouldn't give up on the playoffs yet. There is always a club that puts a fantastic run together at the end, and a club that falls apart. And Eastleigh for example are defanately catchable.

They weren’t necessarily defensive mistakes by the centre halves but maybe a better centre half does something better.

The Wrexham one maybe a more physical centre half blocks off Mullin’s run better so he can’t foul Arnold, last night maybe a faster centre half gets there a fraction quicker and changes the referee’s perception of the incident. It’s a game of fine margins and we’ll never know how exactly it would have panned out. What we do know is we had a far better defence with Łopata than without him.

This was a team playing like it’s lost 3 in a row. I don’t think they played badly (particularly first 40 minutes) but the belief isn’t there. That’s most visible in the final third.

I do see your points and they’re very valid arguments. However, you make it sound like we were storming the league with Lopata, when we were not.

What’s the excuse for the December wobble when Lopata was playing? Conceding 3 goals vs Gateshead… 2 vs aldershot… 2 vs Altrincham…. Not beating Bromley over new years…

I’ll only reply to this once, as it’s not the correct thread to do this on, however.

I know of one established National League player who should be joining us in the Summer. He can’t wait to join us.

There will always be players who want to join us. There will be close to 1,000 players out of contract in the summer, they would rather be paid late, than not at all. We’ve had a reputation for paying players late/winding up orders etc for years and we’ve still attracted players. Whether they have been a success or not is for another day.

You have players, like Gus & Kensdale, who are plying their trade at levels below us who would be desperate to sign for us even with our reputation.

Don’t forget the pull the likes of Stan & John Still have.

Don’t forget the pull the likes of Kev, Benno & Currie have.

Don’t forget the pull us fans have. Regularly over 5,000 at home, over 500 away most games (700 plus at Wrexham followed by 850 plus at Boreham Wood).

We’d be able to bring in loans too, where there is little to no risk for the player joining in terms of no receiving their wages.

Now, we can debate whether we will attract the 25 goal a season we need, the goalscoring midfielder we need etc

We can debate whether the players we bring in will be of the right quality for a play-off/promotion push etc but we will, obviously embargo depending, be able to bring in new players.
Is the established national league player who can’t wait to join us well in his thirties injury prone and can play around 20 games in a season??? Just wondering

I felt it was a poor decision at the time, but as I was 100 yards away I reserved full judgment until seeing a replay. Having now seen it a truly shocking call, almost verging on a dive from Brunt.

However, not the reason we didn’t win, as has been adequately discussed elsewhere.
Could see he got the ball from the other end of the stadium. Referee was conned

I'll take a stab that this is Justham considering thats still rumbling on and he's been spotted at games etc, which is a bit odd if he's not signing for us.

But anyways, great posts today @BoyWonder2 👍

Back