• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Boss plots shake-up

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Paul Sturrock admitted he had run out of patience with some of his players following a dire 2-0 defeat at Swindon Town.

More...

It will be interesting to see just how he can shake up the side with the injuries we have at the mo. With Sawyer, Dickinson, Harris Corr and possibly Moshni out what exactly can he do?

Anyone like to have a guess of our shaken up team and formation on Tuesday?

Im praying Moshni is fit as to have Blair and Crawford upfront represents a good candidate for least threatening strike force for SUFC ive ever seen and ive seen some dross in the past.

If Moshni is fit i'd like to see him upfront with Hall playing just behind in (free role)

A bit of bluffing I feel from Luggy. Remember he said he would make changes for the Crawley JPT game and he didnt.

As has been alluded to, what can he do with our main strikers out? Change the defence? Gilbert, Crawford and JJ have all been utter cack this season so the only area he might change is possibly Kalala and Timlin replacing Grant and Kane. Possibly Coughlan could come in to the defence. By all accounts last weeks reserves were just as rubbish so maybe he needs to stop prominsg a shake up and concentrate on getting the best out of what is still a very good squad and one that should not have a -3 goal difference after 7 games.

A bit of bluffing I feel from Luggy. Remember he said he would make changes for the Crawley JPT game and he didnt.

As has been alluded to, what can he do with our main strikers out? Change the defence? Gilbert, Crawford and JJ have all been utter cack this season so the only area he might change is possibly Kalala and Timlin replacing Grant and Kane. Possibly Coughlan could come in to the defence. By all accounts last weeks reserves were just as rubbish so maybe he needs to stop prominsg a shake up and concentrate on getting the best out of what is still a very good squad and one that should not have a -3 goal difference after 7 games.

Some good points there. As you say maybe he should be concentrating on improving his relationship with the players, by his own admission he's struggling to get them onside.

Personally I think the man is a clown.

Some good points there. As you say maybe he should be concentrating on improving his relationship with the players, by his own admission he's struggling to get them onside.

Personally I think the man is a clown.

Thats a bit harsh. He has assembled a team the majority of us including me (going on poles) think are good enough to challenge for promotion and deserves credit for last season. As others have stated we have plenty of injuries at the moment which is making things very difficult but that still not an excuse for the performances so far as a whole have not been good enough and im hoping once we have a near fully fit side the hoofball goes out the window and we can see the best out of the side on a regular basis.

Expectations this season are high and rightly so considering the budget spent on wages is pretty high up in the league. If it comes to the end of the season and we dont finish in at least 7th i will consider this as failure.

Thats a bit harsh. He has assembled a team the majority of us including me (going on poles) think are good enough to challenge for promotion and deserves credit for last season. As others have stated we have plenty of injuries at the moment which is making things very difficult but that still not an excuse for the performances so far as a whole have not been good enough and im hoping once we have a near fully fit side the hoofball goes out the window and we can see the best out of the side on a regular basis.

Expectations this season are high and rightly so considering the budget spent on wages is pretty high up in the league. If it comes to the end of the season and we dont finish in at least 7th i will consider this as failure.

Would you like to comment on reports that he has lost the dressing room ?

Well it all seems to have died down now as the same players/staff are still at the club so it cant of been that bad. Id expect there to be friction at every club in the dressingroom at some stage of the season when emotions and aggression are running high.

In my previous post i stated both good and bad points about this season so far but to me it doesnt seem fair to call Sturrock a clown. Ron Martin on the other hand........

Like everybody on here I was dissapointed with the Swindon result and maybe he played the wrong system which cost us the match.
I still think this is a good squad of players compared to last season & i think it will click eventually.
I think your wrong to call Paul Sturrock a clown.
Times like this we need to get behind the team and manager.

Like everybody on here I was dissapointed with the Swindon result and maybe he played the wrong system which cost us the match.
I still think this is a good squad of players compared to last season & i think it will click eventually.
I think your wrong to call Paul Sturrock a clown.
Times like this we need to get behind the team and manager.

Agree, although "times like these" might be a bit of an overstatement :winking:
we could be a, out of business, and b, where plymouth are in the league!

If Sturrock fails to take Southend up, we will be the blot on his CV. His record in the lower leagues elsewhere is pretty faultless. He's led a number of clubs to promotion - this isn't a fluke - he didn't get lucky once with a centre forward from Grays. He's as good a manager as any at this level, and we should remember that. If we let him go, someone else will take him bloody quick.

If Sturrock fails to take Southend up, we will be the blot on his CV down the Jobcentre. His record in the lower leagues elsewhere is pretty faultless. He's led a number of clubs to promotion - this isn't a fluke - he didn't get lucky once with a centre forward from Grays. He's as good a manager as any at this level, and we should remember that. If we let him go, someone else will take him bloody quick.

edited for accuracy.

If Sturrock fails to take Southend up, we will be the blot on his CV. His record in the lower leagues elsewhere is pretty faultless. He's led a number of clubs to promotion - this isn't a fluke - he didn't get lucky once with a centre forward from Grays. He's as good a manager as any at this level, and we should remember that. If we let him go, someone else will take him bloody quick.

Neither did Tilson he achieved back to back promotions with a well balanced team that played attractive football and I don't think many would agree that Eastwood was the sole reason for our success. You seem to have conveniently forgotten how Goater played a significant part in our success as did people like Gower who played in Lg2, Lg1 and the Championship for us.

Hes got 2 teams promoted, others he has done well with before jumping ship or being sacked. Wasnt exactly a queue forming for him when he left Plymouth last?
Your dig at tilly is pathetic, he brought countless good players to this club.

Has he lost them or is he just manageing to keep the lid on things, something is not write that is for sure, what worries me is the last time i sore the players playing with this little effort and interest it was because they were not being paid.

Hes got 2 teams promoted, others he has done well with before jumping ship or being sacked. Wasnt exactly a queue forming for him when he left Plymouth last?
Your dig at tilly is pathetic, he brought countless good players to this club.

I'm sure he got a double promotion at Plymouth, plus single promotions at Sheffield Wednesday and Swindon. The only other English football league club he has managed is Southend and has had to go through a huge transitional period. Southampton were a Premiership club when he went there and were never going to challenge no matter who the manager was. He also played at a high level getting to the semi finals of the European Cup and as an international footballer making 20 apps and played in the 86 world cup finals in Mexico. He certainly knows the game inside out both playing and managering.

I will always respect Tilson for what he had achieved at Southend but what anyone says hd got lucky with Eastwood turning out to be a superstar for us. Some key players for us were already at the club such as Flahavan, Maher and Gower and were the spine of the team. Even in our title winning season we won it with a really low total number of points that in some seasons would get us to about 5th. Once Eastwood went, followed by Maher, Gower and Flahavan we were less effective and only looked decent with a fit Barnard. Like I say I am a Tilson and Brush fan and they did do well initially but then struggled, they ate not god and are struggling again at Lincoln.

Sturrock has pedigree, Tilson went ages ago and it's about time all our fans move on from the Tilson era, support Sturrock and judge him when the season ends

Has he lost them or is he just manageing to keep the lid on things, something is not write that is for sure, what worries me is the last time i sore the players playing with this little effort and interest it was because they were not being paid.

A fair observation Rover John

a combination of illiterate garbage, speculation and the usual obsessive "Tilson GOOD, Sturrock BAD" rubbish. The fact is we are a small club, with no money, struggling to keep our heads above water in the hope that we can perhaps challenge for a playoff position at the end of this season and perhaps get this new stadium sorted and our finances stablised. Personally I do not understand the mentality of a some people who post on here as they seem to go looking for things wrong and are never happy until there is some new "he's lost the dressing room/there are discpline problems/bore bore speculate speculate."

I hope I am wrong in saying that I suspect the same folks are the ones who also boo players at the match. If I am not - please just chill.

Back