• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BOT 90's albums: Play Off Final

BOT 90S albums Play Off Final

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MK Shrimper

Striker
Ok, we have another final of slightly less importance than tomorrow's shenanigans.

OK Computer vs Portishead to take the coveted title of ShrimperZone's Battle of the 1990s albums.

Off you go, evidence please.....

Well done to all involved, but I am really surprised these two are in the final. Personally I thought the winner of the Blur / Oasis round would have been a finalist, or am I just talking up my own book..?

Portishead for me, although I listened to it again the other day and there are some stand out tracks, it does get a bit samey in the end.

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Portishead, original, atmospheric, innovative. Dummy has some great tracks, chill out times, calming relaxing music. There is nobody quite the same and Beth Gibbons voice is to die for

Radiohead. I like them, glad they got to the final over the Oasis and Blur's of this world. Although not as commercialized as some other bands, they aren't as original and innovative as Portishead, as they plagiarised Level 42's riff form Kouyate on Paranoid Android, albeit slowed down slighty

Anyways, here is one of my fave tracks from Portishead, 'Glorybox', the first tune I heard from them and made me listen over and over again

[video=youtube;4qQyUi4zfDs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qQyUi4zfDs[/video]

Radiohead. I like them, glad they got to the final over the Oasis and Blur's of this world. Although not as commercialized as some other bands, they aren't as original and innovative as Portishead, as they plagiarised Level 42's riff form Kouyate on Paranoid Android, albeit slowed down slightly

Hello law suit. :smile: I sincerely doubt any member of Radiohead have consciously listened to the jazz-funk-pop noodlings of Mark King or the other one with the squeaky voice, let alone some random album track. It's called coincidence.

Hello law suit. :smile: I sincerely doubt any member of Radiohead have consciously listened to the jazz-funk-pop noodlings of Mark King or the other one with the squeaky voice, let alone some random album track. It's called coincidence.

Have you actually listened to both tracks? Give it a go and let me know what you think

I haven't, but I will. If there is a similarity, as I said, I'm sure it's nothing more than a coincidence.

Fair point, well made. It's a very distinctive riff though. My point was that with Portishead, they are totally original and you will find no band like them, which I really like about Portishead. Not commercialized, true to their roots and a great sound, coupled with some wonderful lyrics

Fair point, well made. It's a very distinctive riff though. My point was that with Portishead, they are totally original and you will find no band like them, which I really like about Portishead. Not commercialized, true to their roots and a great sound, coupled with some wonderful lyrics

There was a dearth of Trip Hop around during the release of Dummy, no doubt inspired by it - such as Goldfrapp. I never really got into it all, it all seemed a bit strokey-beardy flavour of the moment.

Radiohead. I like them, glad they got to the final over the Oasis and Blur's of this world. Although not as commercialized as some other bands, they aren't as original and innovative as Portishead, as they plagiarised Level 42's riff form Kouyate on Paranoid Android, albeit slowed down slightly

Anyways, here is one of my fave tracks from Portishead, 'Glorybox', the first tune I heard from them and made me listen over and over again

A fantastically bizarre accusation about Radiohead. Glory Box is built around an Isaac Hayes sample.

Both good but Ok Computer for me.

Listening to OK Computer at the moment. Not as strong as The Bends IMHO despite the (excellent) well known singles. Bit of filler mixed in.

Listen to both songs and let me know what you think. It's the main riff that runs through both songs

I love the idea of Radiohead ripping off Level 42, however unlikely. I'm also perfectly happy with Portishead lifting the actual recorded bass line from an Isaac Hayes record. There are only so many notes to go around. For real cheeky plagiarism compare Taxman by The Beatles to Start by The Jam (both good tracks).

Oh my God, it's really similar!! Even the way it's arranged. Almost as close as Creep ripping off The Hollies...

Thank goodness someone else thinks so. Been a Level 42 fan for years and when I first heard Paranoid Android, all I heard was Kouyate. I know there's only a certain amount of notes, keys, riffs etc but they are so so similar it does sound like a lift and shift

OK Computer for me, and there will be no alcohol offerings to boost it's vote from me. However, this might help a smidge.

[video=youtube;T6cJJ39PpBU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6cJJ39PpBU[/video]

Back