• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BOT 90s albums: Urban Hymns - The Verve v OK Computer - Radiohead

R1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Simply an awesome album, all killer no filler.

Packed full of top tunes....Lucky Man, Sonnet, The Drugs don't work and not to mention....

[video=youtube;1lyu1KKwC74]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lyu1KKwC74[/video]

Vote Urban Hymns!

No contest here - one is a load of lumpy old turgid dad-rock with 1 good tune (that was actually a rip-off of something else). The other is an album with flashes of brilliance that proved to be the springboard for some of the most exciting alternative music of the last 15 years. The 'Head all day long for me.

No contest here - one is a load of lumpy old turgid dad-rock with 1 good tune (that was actually a rip-off of something else). The other is an album with flashes of brilliance that proved to be the springboard for some of the most exciting alternative music of the last 15 years. The 'Head all day long for me.

Yer, knew this was a tough draw. However, being a dad I'm quite happy with the term dadrock :smile:

I always associate these albums with one another as I got them both at exactly the same time. OK Computer just edges it....

Yer, knew this was a tough draw. However, being a dad I'm quite happy with the term dadrock :smile:
Ha! I'm a dad too, and I'm guilty of listening to plenty of '60s and '70s dad rock. Can't remember what I was listening to at the time, but last week my 10 year old daughter said to me "Daddy, why do you only listening to boring and depressing music?"!

Me vs DingleyDangley....

Really? Not just two blokes who really like music?

The Verve's sense of self-importance was disproportionate to their very modest talent in my opinion. A quirk of fate means I have all of their releases (didn't buy them) and they gather dust. Very ordinary.

Radiohead then. I wasn't aware of any band that justified the use of three guitars live until I saw them tour this album. They were just fantastic and this album affected me deeply at the time. Their career arc is like that of Talk Talk, who morphed into something grand and unexpected when compared with their earlier stuff (another story, I know).

If this really is a competition between me and you, MK, you made it rather easy. OK Computer all day long.

For me Urban Hymns is one of those albums that sounds great on the first couple of listens but never gets any better. It is easy on the ear, the production is quality, but there is no real depth to the songs.

OK Computer is more challenging to listen to, but ultimately a more satisfying experience IMO.

The Verve's sense of self-importance was disproportionate to their very modest talent in my opinion. A quirk of fate means I have all of their releases (didn't buy them) and they gather dust. Very ordinary.

I only like one or two Verve songs, this being one:

[video=youtube;PgsPAsno4OU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgsPAsno4OU[/video]

Grandiose, elegiac, symphonic and chock full of emotion - pain, love and everything inbetween.

Easily one of my top 5 of all time, it touches the parts that other indie albums cannot reach. :smile:

Another tough one.

On the one hand, The Verve have a singer called 'Mad Richard', on the other hand, Radiohead have a singer with an extraneous 'h' in his name, who's face also features on the cover of an Iranian sex manual.

Decisions, decisions...... it's sex face for me, by a nose.

Radiohead then. I wasn't aware of any band that justified the use of three guitars live until I saw them tour this album. They were just fantastic and this album affected me deeply at the time. Their career arc is like that of Talk Talk, who morphed into something grand and unexpected when compared with their earlier stuff (another story, I know).

If this really is a competition between me and you, MK, you made it rather easy. OK Computer all day long.

Can't say I saw them tour the album but I did get some street cred from my fellow England fans, after the first of the Capello era games against Andorra at Montjuic, when I correctly identified the band playing down the road at the Palau Saint Jordi, as none other than Radiohead.

Back