• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BOT 90s: The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers v Screamadelica - Primal Scream

R2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MK Shrimper

Striker
Supernaut v Mad Cyril

Two bloody brilliant albums; One happy happy happy vs misery, despair and horror!

Felt obliged to listen to THB after my first round defeat. It's a fine album, although | still maintain not as entertaining as "I Should Coco" and it does drift at times. Still, "Archives Of Pain" and "4st 7lb" are good songs for when you're bombing along the M1.

I have never, despite repeated listenings, got the fuss about Screamdelica. Is it because I wasn't off my face on drugs during the early 1990s?

Here's my favourite track from THB, and one of the very best singles of the decade IMHO. When they performed this on TOTP the BBC received a record number of complaints due to James wearing a paramilitary balaclava - fantastic! All the TOTP footage on YouTube is terrible quality, but here they are at Glasto '94 in the same get up...
[video=youtube;jblh5gU3fLI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jblh5gU3fLI[/video]

Remember, only one of these albums has been on a Royal mail stamp and it wasn't The Manic Street Preachers......

I have never, despite repeated listenings, got the fuss about Screamdelica. Is it because I wasn't off my face on drugs during the early 1990s?

Yes, yes it is. All kinds of crap sounded great at the time. Mind you, even though this hasn't dated well, and even though Primal Scream are almost embarrassingly crap most of the time, they hooked up with some clever people and made a crossover album at just the right time. I've always found the Manics lumpen and posturing so, on balance, Screamadelica for me.

Yes, yes it is. All kinds of crap sounded great at the time. Mind you, even though this hasn't dated well, and even though Primal Scream are almost embarrassingly crap most of the time, they hooked up with some clever people and made a crossover album at just the right time. I've always found the Manics lumpen and posturing so, on balance, Screamadelica for me.

Lumpen? Pfft....

I want to walk in the snow
And not leave a footprint
And not soil its purity

No one else could write songs like Richey Edwards.

Lumpen? Pfft....

And not leave a footprint
And not soil its purity

No one else could write songs like Richey Edwards.

That explains why they have been knocking out middle of the road dad rock for the past twenty years then.

Back