• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BOTB: His Dark Materials (MK) v The Satanic Verses (Prawn)

Versus

• His Dark Materials

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • The Satanic Verses

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
His Dark Materials: 3 main books (at time of counting) - young adult/teenage books with an incredible weighty and adult themes of religion and death. Northern Lights (or The Golden Compass), The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass.

The trilogy took third place in the BBC's Big Read poll in 2003 and The Amber Spyglass won the 2001 Whitbread Book of the Year award. This is the first time that such an award has been bestowed on a book from their "children's literature" category

It follows the coming of age of two children, Lyra Belacqua and Will Parry, as they wander through a series of parallel universes. The fantasy elements include witches and armoured polar bears, gay fallen angels, a Texan balloonist and everyones soul taking the form of an animal (or daemon). The trilogy also alludes to ideas from physics, philosophy and theology and functions in part as a retelling and inversion of John Milton's epic Paradise Lost.

Turned into a incredible 6 hour play and a not so successful film (which I've not seen). I'd encourage EVERYONE to read them, from the age of 13 and up. One of the few books that I've read twice.

Vote His Dark Materials!

His Dark Materials should be on the national curriculum. Amazing books.

I know i'm gonna be shot down here but I actually think both choices are complete pants! :stunned:
HDM only edges it coz the first book was enjoyable and the concept of daemons was interesting.

I know i'm gonna be shot down here but I actually think both choices are complete pants! :stunned:
HDM only edges it coz the first book was enjoyable and the concept of daemons was interesting.

You have slightly contradicted yourself a bit there, but thanks for the vote.

Only two books above HDM in the 2003 BBC poll, one is a girly load of bollocks and the other is Pride & Prejudice. :smile:

I tried to read The Satanic Verses after all the media coverage Rushdie received of death threats etc. really struggled with it and eventually gave up. I've read all three of Pulman's trilogy and these I was impressed with. So my vote goes to his dark Materials. I don't know if the pairing of these two books was intentional but both caused religious outrage amongst some when first published.

I tried to read The Satanic Verses after all the media coverage Rushdie received of death threats etc. really struggled with it and eventually gave up. I've read all three of Pulman's trilogy and these I was impressed with. So my vote goes to his dark Materials. I don't know if the pairing of these two books was intentional but both caused religious outrage amongst some when first published.

Nope, just a random excel draw. I don't think Philip Pullman had to go into hiding for a number of years however :smile:

I did read that in America, the final book of HDM was moderately censored as Lyra does start to explore her sexuality. God forbid!

I love His Dark Materials. Read them, seem the theatre production, watched the film, read all three again to my eldest two daughters, am halfway through book one with my youngest daughter. Love em.

Only two books above HDM in the 2003 BBC poll, one is a girly load of bollocks and the other is Pride & Prejudice. :smile:
lol re-reading it, it does look like it. What I meant was the series/trilogy was pants - the 2d & 3rd books went went downhill very badly imo. But Golden Compass/Northern Lights (what is the official title?) as a book on its own was enjoyable.

lol re-reading it, it does look like it. What I meant was the series/trilogy was pants - the 2d & 3rd books went went downhill very badly imo. But Golden Compass/Northern Lights (what is the official title?) as a book on its own was enjoyable.

Northern Lights here, Golden Compass in the USA.

I would strongly disagree - the 2nd & 3rd books open the story out to the rest of the Universe(s). They just get better and better. I am jealous of people who get to read it for the first time. Gobsmackingly good.

Another girly load of bollocks!

Back